Meaford Trail closure - not sure where yet

Faceman

This was posted on the Meaford clubs web page about an hour ago by the club President

Just wanted to send out a big thank you. After all the hard work of out volunteers it turns out that some kind individual decided to ride off trail on a section that was clearly posted to "Stay on Trail". Thanks to the actions of this individual we have lost permission to use this land and will be forced to do a bunch of road running again. Just wanted to say as a volunteer how much we appreciate this behavior. It is nice to know that you are finding stuff for us to do for no reason instead of spending time with our families. I know personally that I love to spend days in the rain and mud brushing trees and pounding in stakes as well as spending countless hours speaking and meeting with landowners begging for the privilege to use their lands. So the next time you decide to go boondocking give me a call- I would just love to join you.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!    Heck you are taking one heck of a beating this year aren't you Faceman.  WTH is wrong with these morons?? 

Terrible news, sorry to hear. Just can't fix stupid!!

I'm sorry, but this isn't stupid.  This is willful and intentional and a whole bunch of other words I can't post without being banned!!!

I'm sorry, but this isn't stupid.  This is willful and intentional and a whole bunch of other words I can't post without being banned!!!

You are so right SJ. It goes way past the stupid part.

this crap just PO'S me to no end, one selfish POS ruin;s it for the rest that follow the rules. 

and even though there will be signs that say closed and gates closed off the same idiot is very likely to cut any locks, open any gates and say what do they think they are doing? I paid for my permit and this is the trail. I was here last week and go riding there regardless ensuring we never ever get back there no matter how much we grovel.

On our farm the trail runs on a winter wheat field. There were a lot of stones that weren't picked so I was gonna post "stay on trail, rocks in field not picked"  I wonder if I should bother.

How about a sign that says, STAY ON TRAIL - IED'S BURIED OFF TRAIL

How about a sign that says, STAY ON TRAIL - IED'S BURIED OFF TRAIL

They will run right over the sign, then sue saying they didn't see it and will win. That is why most of the signs are wood again.

On our farm the trail runs on a winter wheat field. There were a lot of stones that weren't picked so I was gonna post "stay on trail, rocks in field not picked" I wonder if I should bother.

Need some big bales of straw to put in the field. That would stop them in a hurry.

They will run right over the sign, then sue saying they didn't see it and will win. That is why most of the signs are wood again.

Once again you are spewing out wrong information.

Once again you are spewing out wrong information.

Has happened in the past. That is why all new signs are wood except for stop signs I believe.

I said it could happen again. People will sue for anything. Can sue for not having a warning sign before the don't go off trail sign. Any technicality the lawyers can find, they will win. Look at the accident on new Dundee trail about 8 or so years ago. It was proven she never stopped at road crossing and her husband told her via commicator the road was clear (aparantly he was 2 kms or so ahead of her and was at a different road crossing). Anyway l heard she sued for not enough warning about the approaching road crossing and won. Now that is why the trails have a warning that a stop sign is coming up.

Has happened in the past. That is why all new signs are wood except for stop signs I believe.

I said it could happen again. People will sue for anything. Can sue for not having a warning sign before the don't go off trail sign. Any technicality the lawyers can find, they will win. Look at the accident on new Dundee trail about 8 or so years ago. It was proven she never stopped at road crossing and her husband told her via commicator the road was clear (aparantly he was 2 kms or so ahead of her and was at a different road crossing). Anyway l heard she sued for not enough warning about the approaching road crossing and won. Now that is why the trails have a warning that a stop sign is coming up.

Again you are spreading false information. Please stop talking about things you know noting about. You are not doing the snowmobiling community any favors spreading lies.

The girl that was hit DID NOT win her law suit. She threw in the towel after discovery. Just prior to the accident a number of our trail patrol members were trained on the new risk management system and given forms to fill out in case they came across an incident. They were attending Dundee's poker run that day and came across the accident within minutes of it happening. With all of the information and photos they collected the OFSC was able to prevent a costly law suit payout. It still cost the OFSC money for the lawyers and prep work but all-in-all a whole lot cheaper than the alternative.

Again you are spreading false information. Please stop talking about things you know noting about. You are not doing the snowmobiling community any favors spreading lies.

The girl that was hit DID NOT win her law suit. She threw in the towel after discovery. Just prior to the accident a number of our trail patrol

members were trained on the new risk

management system and given forms to fill out

in case they came across an incident. They

were attending Dundee's poker run that day and

came across the accident within minutes of it

happening. With all of the information and

photos they collected the OFSC was able to

prevent a costly law suit payout. It still cost the

OFSC money for the lawyers and prep work but

all-in-all a whole lot cheaper than the

alternative.

Good to know that case wasn't successful. I heard differently, guess sources weren't reliable.

Farmers often use electric livestock fencing. I wonder if that would work. I was bending down ducking under some at a friends farm once with a down filled jacket on. It was enough to throw me face down on the ground.

Apparently it is the B trail ,actually in D8 the Osprey club. Working on a resolution

Farmers often use electric livestock fencing. I wonder if that would work. I was bending down ducking under some at a friends farm once with a down filled jacket on. It was enough to throw

me face down on the ground.

I seen some as well. Usually the buzzing sound is an easy give away. It will sure give you a jolt if you get too close. I bet you won't do that again. Maybe a Sign saying caution high voltage on gates would deter people from opening them. More producers are keeping livestock inside and

installing less electric fencing though.

Apparently it is the B trail ,actually in D8 the Osprey club. Working on a resolution

That really sucks! Hopefully a new link Is available. Can landowners pull permission after agreeing for a season?

Actually, in our area all stop signs and stop ahead signs at road crossings are on steel posts as they are in most parts of the province. I assume by "a warning that a stop sign is coming up" you mean a stop ahead sign. Stop ahead signs were being used long before the accident that you so incorrectly spread information about.

For some strange reason??, I am suddenly reminded of what my Dad and many other wise people have said that it is far better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it.

Actually, in our area all stop signs and stop ahead signs at road crossings are on steel posts as they are in most parts of the province. I assume by "a warning that a stop sign is coming up" you mean a stop ahead sign. Stop ahead signs were being used long before the accident that you so incorrectly spread information about.

For some strange reason??, I am suddenly reminded of what my Dad and many other wise people have said that it is far better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it.

Or put it to print

So many inconsiderate riders out there - it is disgraceful to say the least.  There is also that section of B Trail just west of Wasaga that has also been lost due to the same reason.  I have sent a message to the Club to ask if there is any plan for a reroute on the roads.  So much road riding out that way now  :x  :x  :x  :x

I seen some as well. Usually the buzzing sound is an easy give away. It will sure give you a jolt if you get too close. I bet you won't do that again. Maybe a Sign saying caution high voltage on gates would deter people from opening them. More producers are keeping livestock inside and

installing less electric fencing though.

What's really fun is that you can set the livestock fencing to pulse on and off.  Many years ago a "friend" of mine knew to listen for the pulse. It was his fence. He waited for the pulse then knew he had a few seconds in between and said see, it's not on when he grabbed it with his bare hand then let go. That was when I was ducking down and got the zap through the down jacket.

Archived