ICE CONDITIONS - OBSERVATIONS / REPORTS

Domino

Let's share Ice conditions in one place.  We need to be safe out there and this is no typical year.  

On Saturday I drive past Lake Joseph, wide open water, no ice from my vantage point.  Lake Muskoka looked thin because there were several dark areas that appeared to have been wet recently.

Kahshe is frozen over with reports of good blue ice, but has not yet been deemed safe.  The west end of the lake has open water in the area referred to as the narrows.

Any lake that may have been typically safe in previous years could be open water this year.  Please be aware and ride safe.  We don't want to lose any OC'ers.  

post-19700-0-90549300-1453126000_thumb.j

ICE SAFE CHART.pdf

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good 'How To' for checking and understanding Ice Conditions:

http://lesson.website/wikihow-to-know-when-ice-is-safe/

Thats two machines gone down in the Honey Harbour area. Although in some places may be good and thick, the shorelines degraded due to the shift in winds raising the water levels underneath.

The local ice travellers know where they are going, however even some of the local portages are not what they should be at this time of year.

All I can say is stay off unless you know what you are getting into.....

Most of the lakes in haliburton froze over about a week to two weeks ago. Bosh was still open a couple of days ago. Saw tracks on Little Bosh, which was open last week, and down Kushog. I heard that Kennisis is still open. However it was really cold last night and the forecast is for extreme cold this week so they should set up soon.

Speaking with a very avid local sledder yesterday and he commented that he is usually one of the first to run the lakes and he is staying off of them for a while still.

My neighbour on the island Little Lake Port Severn was over to his cottage on the weekend. Shore to shore is only about 200 ft. You can't walk across for sure but he hitched a puddle jump ride over to the island and then brought his sled back to the mainland. Near his dock it is about 6 in thick. Go about 10' out from the dock and it is about 1 in thick with open water half way across.

The one that gets me is when I hear someone say..."look at the tracks going out, it must be safe" That could have been a guy who weighs next to nothing on a light sled that went real fast and skips water easily. The person making the comment is riding a Yamaha, weighs 240 lbs and is just foolish.

Great topic.  It makes my blood boil when I have to pay such high premiums on my insurance and suffer huge depreciation because of the idiots.  Keep us posted with conditions as i am eager to run to my cottage on Go Home Bay from Georgian Bay landing in Honey Harbour, safely.  

Thanks

Most of the lakes in haliburton froze over about a week to two weeks ago. Bosh was still open a couple of days ago. Saw tracks on Little Bosh, which was open last week, and down Kushog. I heard that Kennisis is still open. However it was really cold last night and the forecast is for extreme cold this week so they should set up soon.

Speaking with a very avid local sledder yesterday and he commented that he is usually one of the first to run the lakes and he is staying off of them for a while still.

Sleds have been on Kushog?  Thats good news, most of it has been frozen for a while now.  We were running Little Redstone on Friday

Not saying it's a good idea but there are tracks on Kushog. Just out for a walk and Bosh still has an open stretch on the Buckslides side. 

Not saying it's a good idea but there are tracks on Kushog. Just out for a walk and Bosh still has an open stretch on the Buckslides side. 

Yes, Boshkong was still open Friday.  I am off buckslide road on Kushog. It would be nice to get up Kushog to pine springs at least.  Thanks for your input

Great Topic...

Port Loring and Arnstien

How about the Port Loring and Arnstien areas?  Any one have any first have knowledge of that area?

The trails are more reliant on ice up there.

We are staying a Tornados in two weeks - Great spot BTW

It sure would be nice to have Little Long lake and Wauquimakog and Seagull frozen and south to Ardbeg frozen

Loggers Station House is a great stop.

Atv went through on Cooks Bay. Simcoe is not ready to be running the bay's

RR

Apparently Four Mile Lake (Coboconk) went in on January 5th.  Going there this weekend, hoping it is safe.

Trout Lake in North Bay (TOP D and TOP A1) are getting close to being staked by our very experienced staker.

He reports much of lake is at 6" but a few areas only have a couple of inches as they were open water 5-6 days ago.

One benefit of our low snow is that lakes are shaping up nicely.

One gang tried to pack A102Q and they tried to cross Big Jocko River with a break through due to strong current.

Great Topic...

Port Loring and Arnstien

How about the Port Loring and Arnstien areas?  Any one have any first have knowledge of that area?

The trails are more reliant on ice up there.

We are staying a Tornados in two weeks - Great spot BTW

It sure would be nice to have Little Long lake and Wauquimakog and Seagull frozen and south to Ardbeg frozen

Loggers Station House is a great stop.

legrou lake east of arnstein/port loring is marginal. neighbour went across but hes been around a looooooooong time. said he wouldn't stop for a break on the lake.

you should be fine in two weeks. lotsa cold nights between now and then.

Trout Lake in North Bay (TOP D and TOP A1) are getting close to being staked by our very experienced staker.

He reports much of lake is at 6" but a few areas only have a couple of inches as they were open water 5-6 days ago.

One benefit of our low snow is that lakes are shaping up nicely.

One gang tried to pack A102Q and they tried to cross Big Jocko River with a break through due

to strong current.

Went thru on his personal sled I assume? Man that sucks. Sure makes you appricate the work that goes in to open trails.

Atv went through on Cooks Bay. Simcoe is not ready to be running the bay's

RR

As of yesterday Kempenfelt bay is still wide open.

Thanks. A good read.

Thanks. A good read.

Thanks. A good read.

Blake G:

• Well read
  • Big guy, on a large sled

"You lead"

:-P

Enjoyed our ice cave Georgian Bay outing. See you on a Snowcrest Riders - Baxter trail ride this winter.

At least.

As soon as we have some decent conditions and solid lakes we can get that ride together.

Just on the news... at least it wasn't a snowmobile this time but does show the ice isn't safe yet

http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/atv-rider-falls-through-ice-on-lake-simcoe-1.2742356

ATV rider falls through ice on Lake Simcoe

Lake Joseph finally started to freeze over (again) last night. Going to be a while until it's safe.

Archived