Snowcrest South Muskoka Trails 2016

Blake G

Today a crew of 4 continued to try and pack trail C101D between Gravenhurst and Bala.

post-22473-0-10923500-1452969862_thumb.png

Lunch break:

post-22473-0-62062900-1452970244_thumb.png

You've got that right. They're trying to remove the insulating snow to expose the water to the upcoming colder temperatures.

but why are the trials closed? 

but why are the trials closed?

I know, eh?

that's why I haven't taken the new sleds out yet... too much of that kind of situation. That and other things others have experienced like over heating sliders and engines likely due to not enough snow on the trail to keep them cool.

that's why I haven't taken the new sleds out yet... too much of that kind of situation. That and other things others have experienced like over heating sliders and engines likely due to not

enough snow on the trail to keep them cool.

Not one mile yet. Hopefully this week will be better.

Not one mile yet. Hopefully this week will be better.

Not one mile yet. Not after talking to people and seeing the local trails that people were riding and the condition of their sleds. A couple of guys had staged at the Coldwater arena and had set out early to be able to get the best conditions of the day yesterday. They were back around noon after hitting too many wet /  spots, too many low snow spots and more. They apparently had to pull over twice to cool down when their sleds were overheating on icy conditions. They thought they may have been okay if they had scratchers.

I just saw some the video of the guys on 201 near Parry Sound that hadn't been packed or groomed yet. Based on what I saw I am anticipating that even with their groomer broke down they will be able to get the Seguin from the 400 east and the other local trails like the 201 groomed this week. Hopefully some time toward the end of the week will be the maiden voyage. I want to make sure I break in the sled properly including the sliders.

No miles yet either for same reason.

Is there a map that shows what trails are taken care of by which club and their boundaries? Sometimes I wonder who's club trails I'm running and would like to know.

http://www.ofsc.on.ca/experience/stay-connected/club-locator

The OFSC has a selection that says locate my club. You can do a search on a location or move your mouse over the map and click. It will tell you the club name.

post-21351-0-04936800-1453069398_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Today a crew of 4 continued to try and pack trail C101D between Gravenhurst and Bala.

attachicon.gif2016-01-16 13.28.01.png

Lunch break:

attachicon.gif2016-01-16 13.47.53.png

How are we looking after today? I have heard that there are huts out on ghurst bay and people might be running the back lakes. Just wondering if a ride from walker's point to ghurst might be doable this weekend even if the trails are closed.

Hi Rippin. We need cold and snow and we are running out of time to get a route open for the Pancake Breakfast run on Saturday. Let's see what tonight brings. As far as I know, Tableware and his volunteers have done all that can be done by humans on Trails 12, 14, 10, and C101D, so now we need to count on nature.

Meanwhile, Senior Groomer and my buddy Moose Laker took two sleds today and worked brushing on the B trail and pushed their way through to Wood Lake.

Today Mike Lemay told me he and some other locals sledded on the first, second and third parts of Pine Lake. Some dock builders told him there are eight inches on the first (biggest) Pine Lake. Mike liked the sound of that, I guess, so he and the boys made the first tracks up to the third lake. He said he cut a hole up there and found a foot of ice, which surprised me. 

I've lived a good life so far, with no plans to shorten it, so I'll be waiting to hear more before I venture onto Pine, Deer or Pigeon Lake. Or any other lake, for that matter.

You'll have to draw your own conclusions. Campbell's Landing crew might have some info.

Let us know if you learn anything.

Driving down hwy 11 I noticed sled tracks on Gull Lake at the bridge. Was very surprised to say the least.

Hi Rippin. We need cold and snow and we are running out of time to get a route open for the Pancake Breakfast run on Saturday. Let's see what tonight brings. As far as I know, Tableware and his volunteers have done all that can be done by humans on Trails 12, 14, 10, and C101D, so now we need to count on nature.

Meanwhile, Senior Groomer and my buddy Moose Laker took two sleds today and worked brushing on the B trail and pushed their way through to Wood Lake.

Today Mike Lemay told me he and some other locals sledded on the first, second and third parts of Pine Lake. Some dock builders told him there are eight inches on the first (biggest) Pine Lake. Mike liked the sound of that, I guess, so he and the boys made the first tracks up to the third lake. He said he cut a hole up there and found a foot of ice, which surprised me. 

I've lived a good life so far, with no plans to shorten it, so I'll be waiting to hear more before I venture onto Pine, Deer or Pigeon Lake. Or any other lake, for that matter.

You'll have to draw your own conclusions. Campbell's Landing crew might have some info.

Let us know if you learn anything.

Does Mike have his fish hut out yet? I saw a couple of them N Muskoka Bay Monday. No tracks at Campbell's and none at new Ark either.

Does Mike have his fish hut out yet? I saw a couple of them N Muskoka Bay Monday. No tracks at Campbell's and none at new Ark either.

Mike's hut isn't out yet.

• 1 month later...

Tuesday's overnight snow led to wonderful "trail breaking" opportunities on Wednesday, for me, AlBoK, and Mooselaker.

The video shows us riding up the newly rerouted section of C101D on the way to Bala from Gravenhurst.

In addition to C101D, we spent a few hours exploring several off-trail lakes, swamps and ridges.

We all agreed it was our best ride of the year. Perfect conditions.

While in Bala, we had the usual delicious lunch at the Bala Falls Pub. Excellent food, excellent service.

post-22473-0-94919100-1456983885_thumb.jpg

I looked out the window after returning home, and saw Mr Heatherton scooting through town on C101D. Although the club has been able to open only a fraction of its trails this winter, I think tomorrow morning will reveal some very good conditions - - at least between the Wharf and Bracebridge.

post-22473-0-72037000-1456983902_thumb.jpg

Archived