Quebec banning studs

ravinerat

I checked with the  Quebec snowmobile federation by email yesterday.  Their reply is below.  This changes my group's plans for a week in Quebec.

Further to a recent pilot project (see attached) launched by the Quebec Ministry of Transport, track studs are considered illegal at this time. That is, their use is banned at road crossings and at all sections of trail which utilise public roads.

We are currently discussing the matter with the government.  Please monitor our Web site for any forthcoming changes. 

This is the link for the press release :  http://fcmq.qc.ca/press-release/?lang=en

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So......I buy a new sled and ask my dealer, while doing PDI, to, among other things, install 96 studs. Did he install oem studs? I don't know and, before this, I'm not sure I cared. I really don't want to be fined because someone did something I didn't ask them to do.

or ...is this another example of the Quebec government coddling to BRP. .?

tread carefully my friends.

I believe that the Quebec Gov't is pushing this to try and limit the damage that we all know studs do to the asphalt at road crossings. It's significant damage here in our area where we  only get 5 or 6 weeks of riding so I'm sure that with the longer season in Quebec, there is a lot of road damage that shows up after each season.

The problem really comes down to whether they live with the damage or live with a lot less sled tourism $. I would guess that most out of province sledders conservatively drop $200.00 per day when riding in  Quebec. I think our group  of 4 actually spends more that that per person. Two of our group have studded sleds and although we were planning on going to Quebec for 5 days of riding and 6 nights this March, we will now have to reconsider.

The positive part is that it should help sled tourism in Northern Ontario (at least until onewynne decides to follow suit).

So......I buy a new sled and ask my dealer, while doing PDI, to, among other things, install 96 studs. Did he install oem studs? I don't know and, before this, I'm not sure I cared. I really don't want to be fined because someone did something I didn't ask them to do.

or ...is this another example of the Quebec government coddling to BRP. .?

tread carefully my friends.

My new Ski Doo, that I have yet to ride, had the dealer installed studs. I wanted the stopping power of real studs, not those useless things on the lugs. Now I can't my sled to Quebec. WTF

QUOTED FROM:

http://www.sledmagazine.com/actions/page?docId=8719&ctx=ctx&p=What+should+we+think+about+the+pilot+project+concerning+the+use+of+non-skid+devices+on+snowmobile+tracks+%3F&request_locale=en&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=postplanner&utm_source=facebook.com

For the last few days, the snowmobilers community is shaken by a crisis about the use of tracks with studs in the Province of Québec. Effectively, on social networks and various forums, many people talk about the famous Pilot project concerning the use of non-skid devices on the tires or tracks of off-highway vehicles.

Since January 2nd, this pilot project does not authorize the operation, on public highways, of snowmobiles that have track with studs (nails, pins). See Section 2 of Order 2015-18 of the Minister of Transport :
According to the official interpretation given to police officers to guide them in the application of the rules of this project, pre-studded tracks (Ice Ripper or Ice Attak, for example) will be tolerated.

Even if the real motivations behind the decision of the Ministère des Transports to exclude from the pilot project the nail or screw types of studs remain unclear, it seems that damages caused to pavement on road crossings are one of the reasons. If this is true, then we must believe that decision makers are not familiar with the reality of our sport because crossing a public highway in a responsible way, with studs that are correctly installed, does not cause any damage to the pavement. This said, this decision has much more significant consequences in regards of safety and economic impact.

Safety

As for the use of any other vehicle, snowmobiling must be practiced in a safe environment in order to avoid accidents. The traction of the track then becomes a major element and this, on all types of surfaces. The use of studs increases importantly the traction of the track on icy surfaces, which provides a better control and more efficient braking. In fact, snowmobilers who have studs installed on their snowmobile track, almost unanimously say that their next snowmobiles will be equipped with studs.

Considering the weather conditions we know this year, with warm and cold temperatures  alternating, there are much more icy surfaces on trails. To get optimal safety, use of studs of any type would then be an important feature to choose. Then, the entry into force of this pilot project in its actual version is at the opposite of common sense ! If we coldly analyze the situation : a device meant to increase snowmobilers safety is deliberately prohibited in order to avoid minimal damages to a few square feet of pavement at road crossing. Do you see any logic here ???

Yet, the Fédération des Clubs de Motoneigistes du Québec (FCMQ) has underlined that « track studs are proven safety device whose merit has been proven not only in numerous specialized studies, but also by thousands of snowmobilers over many years. » The recommendations made by our Fédération have not been retained by the decision makers even if the Fédération has a very important expertise in all aspects of snowmobiling in the Province of Québec as well as in other provinces and States. In fact, why such an isolation from Québec in this issue since studs are widely used by our neighbours ?

Economic impact

As we are writting this article (January 14, 2016), the economic impact following the entry into force of this pilot project has already been noticed by many tourism stakeholders. Effectively, SledMagazine.com has run a study among some representatives of the tourism industry and some of them have confirmed many cancelations from American and Ontarian snowmobilers. More than 250 overnight stays have already been canceled in Gaspésie, according to our contacts, and it is increasing day after day. « We receive many phone calls every day from American tourists who are not sure about their trip because their snowmobile is equipped with studs », said a hotel manager who does not want to be identified. « Considering that one day of a snowmobile trip can cost from 200 $ to 300 $, it is a loss of tourist economic impact that can easily reach 50 000 $ to 75 000 $... And this is only the tiny tip of the iceberg », added Denis Lavoie, from SledMagazine.com .

If this situation lasts in regions like Chaudière-Appalaches, Bas-Saint-Laurent or Gaspésie, it could just be disastrous.

On the different forums and social medias, snowmobilers from the United States and from the other Canadian provinces clearly announce that they are going to visit other places than the Province of Québec. With the hundreds of thousands of dollars invested abroad each year by the various stakeholders of the snowmobile world (tourism associations and offices, hotel groups, etc.) to develop the snowmobile tourism in the Province of Québec, the orientation taken by the Ministère des Transports in this matter, despite the representations made by the FCMQ, is totally going in the opposite direction !

Also, if the situation persists, we can ask ourselves :  Next year and the following years, how will the stakeholders, through exhibitions and various advertising campaigns, attract again the tourists from U.S.A. and the other Canadian provinces to come and visit the Québec trails ? Will the Québec Government be present to assist these stakeholders and repair the damage ?

The implementation of this pilot project in its actual version by the Ministère des Transports has just taken down all the efforts of the last years made by the tourism representatives in the Québec snowmobile industry. Furthermore, it endangers hundreds, even thousands of jobs in regions where snowmobile is the main economic resources in winter. Finally, without knowing it, the Government officers who took that decision (without considering the recommendations made by the FCMQ, must we say it again) will take away each year from the Government, their own employer, many million dollars of revenues made of various taxes, income taxes and other impacts…

Stop the bleeding

The Government must act very quickly in order to reverse the situation… To give immediately to police officers the instruction of giving only warnings instead of tickets for what is left of the season, would be a good start. It would allow minimal negative impacts to the tourism industry.

Afterwards, to pass an amendment to the pilot project that will consider the recommendations made by the Fédération des Clubs de Motoneigistes du Québec and the reality of the snowmobile world.

And us, snowmobilers, what can we do ?

We invite all snowmobilers in the Province of Québec and from abroad to write an email directly to the Ministère des Transports du Québec (MTQ) at the following address :  ministre@mtq.gouv.qc.ca

Do not hesitate to refer to this article and to the FCMQ press release (read...) .

Source : SledMagazine.com
Date : 2016-01-16

Well, No Quebec trip for me this year. I am not going to chance a fine that won't be worth fighting in court since I don't speak French and the court would be a 4 to 5 hour drive. I will expect police sitting at crossing picking us off one by one to make their quota of tickets for the day.

I live and ride in Quebec, both of my sleds are trail studded they will both remain studded.  Our season is off to a slow start locally but this weekend should prove to be the start,, finally.  Anyway I'm going to search for SQ (police) on trail, first I want to see if they enforce the pilot project (or law, not sure what it is), if they don't well so be it, if they do well so be it.  If/when I'm given a ticket I will let the officer know the next time I meet him will be in court, now I know its not the SQ's fault so I'll be polite but I will also be informative so they are aware of the stupidity of such a law. I would know more about this if we were up and running on the trails as my area is quite heavily policed so to see them is nothing out of the ordinary.

As I live in Quebec this law would 100% apply to me however if your out of province I would be surprised if they could enforce it,, for example I carry an extra insurance policy on my sleds for theift and fire, but I don't need to as our provincial pass covers me.  When I go to Ontario and go through a Police check I never have to present my insurance to them only my Quebec Trail Pass insurance. 

Beware,, if it happens hear it could happen there meaning if Quebec enforce, maintains this law who is to say it won't happen in Ontario, MB, NS, NB, etc,, where does the Canadian Council of Snowmobile Organizations stand on this issue, or the OFSC, seems like we have a lot of snowmobile orginizations but when something like this comes up they"re no where to be found.  When we see a fellow sledder with their hood up we all make sure they are OK,, what is happening to our sport.

Anyway I don't blame anyone for not coming to Quebec due to this insanity, Now I will load up my truck with studded tires, drive downtown MTL over thousands of pot holes to get a BJ, pay carbon tax on my fuel, pay an extra 70 dollars to maintain my motorcycle licence, pay 110 to register each sled 330 for each permit, etc,,  Enjoy your sledding this weekend, funny that it is Snowmobile Safety Awareness week in both Ontario and Quebec, studs = Safety but I'm sure you already know that.

Lots of good info!

No stop to the insanity. Problem is many trail riders if you take away the studs will end up in the trees when they hit a hill or corner. I have slid down hills before with no studs, not fun. Nerve wrecking experience. Thank-you for sticking up for the sledders. See you on the trails.

I will not remove my studs!  There is far more risk to not having studs when you ride certain areas, Muskoka.  My tracks are studded in the factory marked placement.  We have a trip planned to Quebec in February so this is of concern this year. 

Ontario is only second to Quebec for Snowmobile Trails and the support by the  government for Snowmobile Tourism.  I'm shocked this has yet to be resolved at least for the season.  If the PQ Government persists with this ridiculously short sighted law there will be economic benefits for Ontario. 

It will certainly be interesting to see how this all plays out, We are also going back to Quebec in February.

Lots of good info!

No stop to the insanity. Problem is many trail riders if you take away the studs will end up in the trees when they hit a hill or corner. I have slid down hills before with no studs, not fun. Nerve wrecking experience. Thank-you for sticking up for the sledders. See you on the trails.

BTDT. The hills on TOP C near Parry Sound aren't fun w/o studs.

BREAKING NEWS - Just got official word that the Quebec Ministry of Transportation has formally issued a media release specifically excluding snowmobile studs from the ban - will post English versions as soon as it arrives.
Meanwhile, please share this good news with all your sledding buddies - it's safe to ride in Quebec again!

You mean those near the backside of the hotel formerly known as the Jolly Roger? The first time I saw those I stopped and contemplated them for a second or two. There was plenty of snow at the time so not a problem but had they been icy.... no way would you make it without studs.

One time I went up D123 near sundridge is a huge hill and valley. Slid down the hill the whole way. Good thing no one was coming up, since I was pretty much fishtailing down taking up the whole trail. That is one steep hill.

BREAKING NEWS - Just got official word that the Quebec Ministry of Transportation has formally issued a media release specifically excluding snowmobile studs from the ban - will post English versions as soon as it arrives.

Meanwhile, please share this good news with all your sledding buddies - it's safe to ride in Quebec again!

Must have been the e-mail I sent an hour ago....you're welcome guys!

.... Now I will load up my truck with studded tires, drive downtown MTL ....to get a BJ .....

Great first post. But waaaay too much information, if I'm reading that right. LOL. Maybe it's french for going downtown to get a burger? Have to ask Luc. 

Glad that 14Snow has positive news on this issue.

Agree that studs are safer for 'braking'. On staightaways when buddy ahead hits the brakes; on ice hills when you start spinning at the top and slide down/or stare down an ice hill as per above; heck, even when you tap the brakes on glare ice roads and commence counting 360's (like a figure skater, but less graceful).

Great first post. But waaaay too much information, if I'm reading that right. LOL. Maybe it's french for going downtown to get a burger? Have to ask Luc. 

Glad that 14Snow has positive news on this issue.

Agree that studs are safer for 'braking'. On staightaways when buddy ahead hits the brakes; on ice hills when you start spinning at the top and slide down/or stare down an ice hill as per above; heck, even when you tap the brakes on glare ice roads and commence counting 360's (like a figure skater, but less graceful).

lol...maybe he was referring to Beef Jerky....hahahahaha

Went to Quebec last year & we were planning on a trip back this year...but I think we will wait and see what actually comes of this ridiculous law!!

Its True, the FCMQ along with the rest of the snowmobiling world and riders put enough pressure and evidence of safety concerning all aspects of snowmobile control with studs that the government has dropped this issue with sleds.  Anyone that send the Transport Minister of Quebec an email to help with this absurd situation is thanked from all us in Quebec and all sledders that safely enjoy the trails we have to offer.  Hopefully this is the last we hear of this issue ANYWHERE,, Being response is safety, safety is enjoyment, enjoyment is snowmobiling,,, enjoy the rest of your winter my friends.

Good news!!!

I received this email this morning about studs in Quebec

GOOD NEWS FOR QUEBEC'S REGULATIONS ON STUDS!

Dear snowmobilers,

At last the legislator of Québec's transportation department has agreed to postpone the new regulation against studs on snowmobiles. This is great news for the snowmobile and tourism industries of Québec. As a matter of fact, the Québec tourism industry was just about to lose its American and Canadian customers. The Québec government finally understood that the studs are used for safety purpose. We hope that we didn't lose too much business at a time when the dollar exchange is a great advantage for US citizens to come to Québec. We thank all the supporters who stand against this regulation, keep on sledding!

At last the legislator of Québec's transportation department has agreed to postpone the new regulation against studs on snowmobiles

Postpone, doesn't mean they have changed thier minds, jist means its on hold. Somewhere something caused them to feel this was needed. And now that it's on the books, it will be very easy to revisit and change thier mind.

Archived