another look out - dunahmic trails district 10

slomo

Snowgooer magazine had a list of look outs on the trail - here is another one that few people know about as, likely due to liability reasons, it is no longer on any trail maps - Pike's Peak on DunAhmic trail 805.

Trail 805 takes a 90 degree turn to the right on your way north - usually there is a trail numbering sign there - and each year a few people turn left make tracks to the high point of land from where you can get a pretty good view.

Here it is on a trail  map from 2003:

post-19713-0-95495000-1452424422_thumb.j

Current trail:

post-19713-0-13703400-1452424444_thumb.p

And while I'm at it (basically nothing to do until the rain stops) here is an updated map to the Red Door Bakery and Gas in Waubamic in the same area. This particular satellite picture was half taken in the winter - you can see the sled tracks on Vowel Lake proximate to Friggen Hill. I have drawn in a more accurate route of travel through the three lakes:

post-19713-0-38152500-1452424460_thumb.j

Thanks so much for these maps.

I have a lot of family in the Mckellar area, and I can remember in the early 70's some of them talking about riding to pike's peak on their Olympiques, Colts, Panthers and who knows what.  Back in the day, I'm sure Mckellar to Pikes peak was a good ride.  Anyway, I've always wondered where it was, and now I know so will make a point of trying to get there.  (To further date myself, I can say that in the early 70's the Red Door bakery was  Campbell's Esso and they sold Auto Ski sleds for a short time) 

Back on topic, there is also usually gas at the Duck rock resort in Dunchurch where C104D crosses highway 124. On my last drive through Magnetawan I noticed that the Gas pumps were tarped up there and I assume there will be no gas there this winter, once winter arrives.

Finally, it is still pouring here, just outside of Guelph.

Good stuff slomo.

Memories of the 70's when the local weekend cottages from Moffat/SquawLk got on our Skiroules, Alouettes, Colts with polaroid camera stuffed in our snow suits smashed through the bush before there were any groomed trails and found the well packed lake trail for Pikes Peak.  Very happy to make it there and back with no break downs in those days. Living in Sault Ste Marie where I enjoy Algoma riding, I still visit the McKellar area where snowmobiling through that fantastic area can't be beat....Great memories!

Good stuff slomo.

He's one of the best ! Even when Jean-Paul Georges Ringaux reviews my trip reports with descriptions of my prose as warm bat piss.

Slomo, the Point O Barrel library wants their book back.

He's one of the best ! Even when Jean-Paul Georges Ringaux reviews my trip reports with descriptions of my prose as warm bat piss.

Slomo, the Point O Barrel library wants their book back.

But only if you stayed inside the lines. -:)

As I recall, the exact quote was "his work is like a stream of bat's piss....it shines out like a shimmering shaft of gold when all about is in darkness.."

(looking forward to an Epic Adventure or two this year! ?)

Slomo, thanks for the tip about Pike's Peak.  I'd heard there was a lookout on the 805 but have never found the cutoff.  I'll try this winter.  Got about 60km at New Years behind Timmies.  If things tighten up this week might try again next weekend.

Yes It is a great lookout. My buddies took me there last year. An I made it up there in my 08 short track Yamaha apex! So everyone else should be good :) .

Archived