No snow in the North... not looking good.

The Groomer Guy

Well guys, it's not looking good in the north, not much snow and the temperature is up and down, we have yet (In Dubreuilville) get a night with -30C so far.  last 2 days they where calling for snow but we got freezing rain instead.   We never get the snow that they forecast.  I taught I would post an update for you guys as there as I'm getting emails and phone calls about it.  

I've never seen this in all the years I have been living here.

'97/'98 (the last big El-no-no) was about the same.

We went to Wyoming for Christmas/New Years and came back with our tail between our legs.

Virtually no snow, and what was there was so dry that it was the consistency of packing peanuts.

Knee deep and you walked directly on the ground.

Algoma got a little bit while we were gone so we changed the sleds back over for low altitude and headed up, but what little bit was down was melting out from underneath.

Pic taken at the warm-up shack at the Bauparlante Road crossing (10 klicks N of where Halfway Haven now sits)

I guess it was better than staying home, but ...

The father/son team that is with us in the pic - we picked up in Wawa. They were wanting a ride to their truck in Searchmont b/c the conditions were bad and worsening. We talked them into riding down with us.

Pic is prolly Jan 2.

Jan98SearchmontTrail_zpspzgym3hp.jpg

I've never seen or heard about conditions like this EVER.  Even in 97-98 I was back in College in Timmins and was riding all winter, we had snow and it stayed at least.  Temps were kind of up and down, but not like this ! 

Update for Hearst area .... all of about 3 inches of snow, almost no frost under it.  Lakes are pretty well frozen, but swamps and creeks are another story.  Any moving water is only crusted over, barely.  I haven't put passes on our sleds yet, and it looks like we might not at all if we don't get 3 feet of snow PRONTO.

I don't recall the set-up for the Timmins area that yr, but Algoma did get some snow after this. I think that riding was decent for 3-4 weeks in maybe late Jan/early Feb that yr. But then a big warm-up came mid Feb and melted a bunch away, but then re-froze quite tight.

The trails around the North Shore area - like Marathon I believe were pretty much bare, and I wished I'd'a had an ATV to go ride at the time, but ...

This pic was from north shore of Manitowik Lake (Missinabi) in late Feb. There was still maybe 12-18" of snow, and the trails were smooth and tight from Wawa on north. You could still ride on some trails, but I don't think that off-trail was an option hardly at all that season.

Manitouwak1998.jpg

I've never seen or heard about conditions like this EVER. Even in 97-98 I was back in College in Timmins and was riding all winter, we had snow and it stayed at least. Temps were

kind of up and down, but not like this

Update for Hearst area .... all of about 3 inches of snow, almost no frost under it. Lakes are pretty well frozen, but swamps and creeks are

another story. Any moving water is only crusted

over, barely. I haven't put passes on our sled

yet, and it looks like we might not at all if we

don't get 3 feet of snow PRONTO.

Too early to blow the whistle. I bought two passes early to save a few bucks. Last two winters I did 5000 kms (local trails open about

14 weeks total). If I get a month of riding this

years, I am happy. It all averages out. Figure

ever 4 years early savings work out to a free

pass. Clubs should be able to recover from a few longer seasons this year and replace worn out equipment.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some big lake effect next week with that Polar Vortex (?) coming in....

I've never seen or heard about conditions like this EVER.  Even in 97-98 I was back in College in Timmins and was riding all winter, we had snow and it stayed at least.  Temps were kind of up and down, but not like this ! 

Update for Hearst area .... all of about 3 inches of snow, almost no frost under it.  Lakes are pretty well frozen, but swamps and creeks are another story.  Any moving water is only crusted over, barely.  I haven't put passes on our sleds yet, and it looks like we might not at all if we don't get 3 feet of snow PRONTO.

It was a crazy winter 97-98 but we had lot's of snow, many soft spots we sunk our groomer often that year, We groomed around xmas that year as I have a picture of the groomer sunked.

Winter storm watch now in effect for parts of north eastern Ontario. Hopefully this is as good as whats forecast.   :icon_snow:

We've got a coupla inches of pretty heavy packable snow, should help .... if we get the 10 or so inches we're supposed to get by Monday morning, it'll be looking up ....

Thanks for the updates, guys.

About an inch since yesterday in Hearst.  Kap and east of there are getting it good since this morning, should be multiple inches by the time it's done.

http://northernontario.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=785111&binId=1.1142313&playlistPageNum=1

I also see Hwy 11 is closed from KL to Kap due to poor weather conditions.

Kap to Liskeard... Porcupine to Quebec border ...MTO page is slow ....

5 sleeps and a wake up, and I will be on my way to dub for our first ride of the season. Ski

Conditions around Burks falls , looks like they got some snow , but not updating the conditions or if the rest is packed and this week its good and cold so that should stiffen things up

Slow headway clearing trails around Burks Falls and Sand Lake. .  Lots of water from last weekend's rain.  And lots and lots of trees to clear from the windstorms last month.  Looks like there may be some limited trails for next week-end.  

First Open trail Monday night for my Club In Dubreuilville. We got about 30kms available/OPEN. It's getting better, -32C this morning. I was on CBC Radio French this morning talking about the snowmobile season and about the snow conditions in the north. I often get asked to be on the air, some times CBC English will call me but not as much as the French station..... my English must be Bad lol

First Open trail Monday night for my Club In Dubreuilville. We got about 30kms available/OPEN. It's getting better, -32C this morning. I was on CBC Radio French this morning talking about the snowmobile season and about the snow conditions in the north. I often get asked to be on the air, some times CBC English will call me but not as much as the French station..... my English must be Bad lol

Your english is much better than my french!!!!

Nothing wrong with your English at all. I can tell you from having spent 6 weeks in Montreal since mid November that your English is far, far better than my French. I would try to be polite and say bonjour in the morning and they would mistakenly think I could speak French and head right into a conversation leaving me with a dumb look on my face.

two sleeps and a wake up, and we are off like a prom dress, to the north. Ski

Archived