RAP Tour

AdamGamble

We do a rap tour starting the day after Super Bowl every year starting from parry sound. Looks like we will be extremely lucky if it's possible this year. We are looking for other options, been reading northern loop thread and the abitibi thread. Looking at launching from north bay or Sudbury and heading north we like to do no more than 300n change kms per day. Think the rap will be doable or should we plan further north.

We do a rap tour starting the day after Super Bowl every year starting from parry sound. Looks like we will be extremely lucky if it's possible this year. We are looking for other options, been reading northern loop thread and the abitibi thread. Looking at launching from north bay or Sudbury and heading north we like to do no more than 300n change kms per day. Think the rap will be doable or should we plan further north.

Your RAP trip is 1.5 months away. I think you might be thinkin too far ahead but something to fill the idle time with anyway. How many ridin days have you got available for this trip?

Normally leave Monday morning and back by Thursday evening could stretch it one more day to 5

Normally leave Monday morning and back by Thursday evening could stretch it one more day to 5

So 4 full riding days or is driving from/to home included? Sorry for all the questions but it makes quite a difference for planning.

4 days of riding we normally go to cottage watch the super bowl, have some pops, hit the sack and start the RAP the monday morning. 

Sounds like a great tradition, AG. Super Bowl and then a week of sledding. 

As for the RAP, 'time will tell'. I'll never forget one thread on this forum called 'The tale of 2 RAP's'. Basically, one year great and the other not so good due to weather (Evil's post). Game day decision (no pun intended). 

I just read the "Intrepid Snowmobiler's" northern corridor trip that starts in timmins to

Kap to hearst to Cochrane this seems like a more likely scenario for early feb.

We did it the first year it came out. Not too many signs back then. We did it in 3 days with one of the days long. We left just North of Oriilia at Riley lake. Got lost on a trail to Minden since it went through a swamp and it wasn't frozen. So we did a detour and ended up in Minden for lunch. That night we made it to Witney. The hydro line through the park was brutal. From Whitney we rode to Duex Rivere. Stayed at Antler's Kingfisher Lodge. What a place that was. Had steaks marinating in the fridge with all the fixings. They put a case of beer in the fridge for us at our request. From there on day 3 we rode back to Riely lake. We rode all day which is what we do on trips. 4 days would give you lots of time. Since our trip trails have been improved, signage improved. It was a great trip.

Something tells me we might have done it in 4 days because I remember staying at Castles in Sunridge. Might have been a different trip as they all blend together over the years.

RR

We traditionally start in parry sound, lunch in sun ridge, sleep in north bay at the clarion.(great place) big day to Pembroke(best western) then down through Whitney through the park stay at Pinestone resort in haliburton on Wednesday night(wing night) place is bumpn great place. Then back to parry sound

Main concern is the southern end of this trip will not be ready... Thus looking at 4 day trips further north

IMO your southern part of the loop will be sketchy unless it gets cold really soon and stays that way. I hope it does get cold really soon but i just looked at the 14 day trend for Minden and its not good.  As you have done it before you know the area around haliburton and minden, Dorset  have a ton of swamps that require a substantial cold snap to freeze up.  Im in the same boat as you trying to plan my winter but its looking like ill be spending a lot more time in the truck this winter.

We're all trying to plan trips and it's not looking good. Don't figure my Cochrane trip is a go for early Jan. We'll just keep watching the reports and when things get going replan. 2012 was like is. Had to go North to break my new sled in.

RR

Might be doing the "intrepid Snowmobiler's" northern corridor tour instead of rap

2007 sucked at first as well, but most of the trails opened quickly by mid january in kawatha lakes region and gave us a good but short season that closed mar7.

think positive think snow

I just read the "Intrepid Snowmobiler's" northern corridor trip that starts in timmins to

Just depends Some years the north is low on snow at that time of year. Has happened before. Normally a mild winter in south gives the north warmer temps and more snow.

Just depends Some years the north is low on snow at that time of year. Has happened before. Normally a mild winter in south gives the north warmer temps and more snow.

Woa so hard to even begin to fathom the thought that 10 hours north to the furthest north the trails in ontario go they will not be open 2nd week of February..... Has that ever happened? If so it must mean we go to northern Quebec or further seems crazy but will do it. Lol

Woa so hard to even begin to fathom the thought that 10 hours north to the furthest north the trails in ontario go they will not be open 2nd week of February..... Has that ever happened? If so it must mean we go to northern Quebec or further seems crazy but will do it. Lol

I think this is kind of jumping the gun.

By the middle of February, I can almost guarantee that trails in the north will be open and excellent.  There may be low snow in some areas of the province, but there will definitely be sledding for those who are willing to travel.

A few years ago, the first trails to open reliably were near Ottawa.  We travelled there for our post Christmas ride and shortly after, trails began to open.

Keep the faith.  It will come!

I don't think the Intrepid Snowmobiler days would be enough miles for you based on what you do on the RAP.

Here's one starting in New Liskeard.

1.  New Liskeard-Cochrane  

2.  Cochrane-Hearst via A trail

3.  Hearst-Timmins via L155/L123/A/C

4.  Timmins-New Liskeard

Four pretty good days roughly 300 km. per day. It would depend on being able to leave from Liskeard which is normally doable by the end of January. Could always start in Kirkland Lake or Gowganda .

Starting in Sudbury at that time could be iffy based on what we are seeing now and its harder to make a good even loop from there.

I don't think the Intrepid Snowmobiler days would be enough miles for you based on what you do on the RAP.

Here's one starting in New Liskeard.

1.  New Liskeard-Cochrane  

2.  Cochrane-Hearst via A trail

3.  Hearst-Timmins via L155/L123/A/C

4.  Timmins-New Liskeard

Four pretty good days roughly 300 km. per day. It would depend on being able to leave from Liskeard which is normally doable by the end of January. Could always start in Kirkland Lake or Gowganda .

Starting in Sudbury at that time could be iffy based on what we are seeing now and its harder to make a good even loop from there.

you could change it and go to dub for a night and there over to timmins the next day via chapleau. would need to start in Timmins to do that though. That area is awesome country.

Here in North Bay we are going to need an extended period of very cold weather to freeze the ground, swamps and lakes prior to any major snow.

It has been raining here steady for a week or more and ground is completely saturated.

Our contractor had to pull off trail reconstruction project.

Here in North Bay we are going to need an extended period of very cold weather to freeze the ground, swamps and lakes prior to any major snow.

It has been raining here steady for a week or more and ground is completely saturated.

Our contractor had to pull off trail reconstruction project.

Same here in the south. Saying plus 6 temps all the way to dec 28 and no sign of any cold weather. Good news is natural gas inventories are overflowing storage facilities, so the bottom is falling out on the price.

you could change it and go to dub for a night and there over to timmins the next day via chapleau. would need to start in Timmins to do that though. That area is awesome country.

You can't do Dub to Timmins in one day without riding a lot of hours in the darkness.

We switched from the RAP to The Gold Rush Tour although we are still trying to figure it all out

We switched from the RAP to The Gold Rush Tour although we are still trying to figure it all out

Yea looks like we will be up in the Timmins, Cochrane area. Really think these places are going to be busy this year.

Archived