Are you ready?

ravinerat

Are you ready for the snow? I've been getting my Renegade ready for the season. In the summer I polished up the tunnel and took off all the oxidization.

Last week I decided to change my fluid. So the gear case no longer has a drain plug. You have to remove the exaust. Remove the battery and holder. Remove all the electrical on top of the case. Remove the retaining bolts. Open the bottom of the case and the crank case oil drains out. Could not get the case to open right up to check the gears and chain. So fill it up with new chain case oil and reinstall everything.

Change the engine oil. Try to open little trap door on bottom of belly pan to access two drain plugs. Screw which is a torque screw won't come out. Head strips. Get the dreamil and cut a slot in the head. Try a large screw driver with no avail. Get some viesgrips on screw driver and finally get it out. Attempt to remove drain plugs. No way. Must be loc tight in. One is a 10 mim bolt the other is a # 6 Hex key. Extension on rachet and lots of prying. Got it to crack. Had to go buy some longer hex keys to reach up in and get a pry extension on key. Got it to crack. Remove both and drain oil. Replace filter. Did not replace crush washer on drain plugs. Oops! Oil leak. Go get new crush washer and attemp to remove drain plug while plugging hole with my finger to add crush washer and plug. Lost minimum oil in procedure. Torque nuts to specified Tourque. Leave it for a day and no leak.

Load sled back on trailer. Check lights. Don't work as the trailer wires are brittle and broken. No problem have a spare set in garage. That's next weeks project Take mounting thingy for my super clamp which broke off last spring. Too old to order new one. Grind off old bolt that is welded in. Redrill hole and insert new bolt, flat washers, lock washer and second bolt. Drill out broken bolt in trailer deck. Use Easy out but it broke. Drill hole right through center of bolt so it can be prayed out buy griping end with vide grips. Finally get it out and test new mounting bolt and plate. Works just great.

So after I rewire trailer I'm already to go for the season. Well expect I will need to change my sliders but I always wait until it is -20 C out.

I love this snowmobile stuff.

post-19718-0-80993000-1449244877_thumb.jpg
RR

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know why picture is posting sideways.

RR

Im not overly crazy on my Panther or my wife's Polaris as they are stored outside anyway.I usually try to get a final fill of premium shell gold into each one near the end of the season so they get a shot of stabil before the last run.At the end of the season they get sprayed with rust check pretty much anywhere that has steel or steel to other metal contact and silicone spray on the track and sprockets.I change out the belt to old ones in case they need to be moved for any reason off season.They get a wash and a spray of armor all on the seat and tank.Before covering they get several bounce sheets scattered around the engine compartment and vents and a piece of steel wool in the exhaust.

In the fall I usually start by getting them going and adding some seafoam.Do the suspension and sprocket bearing check.Make sure the jackshaft  and drive bearings are greased.I always try to jiggle or wiggle the jackshaft at the secondary to check that bearing as it is the one that is seems to go the easiest for drying out.Give the clutches a wipe and put the good belts back on.Another wash and spray,slap the stickers on and wait for snow or ice for fishing.

If something needs to be fixed thru the season it gets fixed right away.

They are both older 2004 and 1994.Don't owe me a penny and still run great.Some years we get lots of miles,others like last year too darn cold not very many.

Kerry

I aWays store my sled(s) properly for the summer. Stored in the garage. The trailer doubles as a motorcycle trailer in the non winter mths.

I don't know how to grease the jack Shaft as there is no nipple and don't see anything you you tube. Any ideas?

New skis coming and I think I will stud the track too. Oh. And I don't owe anything on my sled either.

RR

I had snowmobiles in 79-82... A 72, and a 74, I lived in a rural area, and although there were trails to distant places running through the back of my (rented) farm property, we never really went anywhere. I had 2 machines, so when one was broken, awaiting parts, I had something to ride. They broke a lot, but were simple, easy and cheap to fix...

Last year, I had a MINT '99 SkiDoo 700 Touring, triple triple, Special edition. It was gorgeous, looked like new. A nightmare. Despite my best efforts, I gave up on it when Bombardier's service manual suggested changing the (impossibly located) CDI @ ~ $700, and if it still didn't work, replace the stator. Awesome troubleshooting manual. :huh:

This year, Yamaha. Heard good things, and one ride convinced me.

I'm going over it as best I can. Checked and greased those bearings. That oil filter is sure well located... Doughnuts are checked (man, that's a lot of fasteners in the magnetic tray...) and re-assembly is underway. Taking my time, getting to know the machine as I go.

Nope not ready at all lol. Put away with silicone spray on the arms and ball joint, stabilizer in gas and unhook the battery.

Need to do a few wheels and bearings after 3600 miles last season and sliders, but they look relatively good for those miles. I should have done it now before my help leaves till middle of January but the weather looks like it could be then before I hit snow anyway......

Hey Don what did you use to polish the tunnel I need to do mine as well? Wet sand or just a buffer ball?

Nope, not even close! Picked up the new one a month ago.

Shoved it in the corner and haven't  looked at it since.

No snow/cold yet and work is very busy.

Plan on doing studs, carbides, hand-guards, etc, etc between Christmas & New Years.

Fingers crossed that the weather has turned by then!  :coffeenose:

Kyle k used a clay bar and buffer ball. Then used Blueagic.

RR

Here are a few things you might find handy for your 600 ACE:

Replace weak chain case cover screws:

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/566369-new-fasteners-on-chain-case-cover-2012-renegade-ace-600/

Long discussion on problems with electric starter - still to this day. Read from page 9 onwards to save time. I have drilled the hole in my BRP starter after replacing the brushes - 15 minute job and good idea:
http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/511965-600-ace-electric-starter/

If you have to replace brushes in starter, here's a tip:
http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/852130-trick-for-installing-starter-carbon-brushes/

Replace your BRP starter with a Kimpex (or other model) for about 1/4 of the price of the BRP at $460.00 or get a cheapy to carry as a spare - can easily be changed trailside with the correct couple of tools.
http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1181905-kimpex-or-brp-starter-for-a-600-ace/

A little too late, but oil change method:

600 Ace oil change:

1: Get the sled on rollers or off the ground as you need access to the bottom pan.

2: Remove right side panel and "hood"

3: Remove muffler .

4. You now have access to the oil filter cover. Remove the 3 bolts using a 8mm socket or a T-30 Torx. Pop the filter out. The reservoir is still filled with oil at this point so I would wait until the oil is drained be you re-install. The filter pn is 420956123.

5: Get on the ground and remove ONLY one of the screws for the access panel. I suggest only removing the screw on the muffler side and loosening the other one so you can swing the panel out of the way. It will be a royal pain to re-install if you remove both. The screws need a T-30 Torx or a 5/32 Allen wrench will work also.

6: Remove the oil plugs (both). The large diameter one requires a 6mm Allen and the small takes either a 10mm socket or a T-40 Torx. Let drain and re-install drain bolts and secure access cover.

7: You might as well take this opportunity to check your chain tension (since the muffler is off) using the "finger tight" method as described in the manual.

8: Check your work, replace muffler and add 2.2 quarts of oil.

Thx Slomo. I have fallen back on reading. I didn't know about the starter and will check out all of gone articles.

RR

Nope, I'm not ready at all.. the bike is still out and the sled is still covered. Padio table is still out and the snowblower is buried in the back shed, behind all the garden tools.

I was hoping to keep things like this to help bring the snow as I would be blindsided by a storm unprepared.

Hard to be unprepared with so much lead time...

I'm pretty much ready other than a final buff to make her pretty. Sled has been gone over thoroughly . Greased , clutches cleaned and set up , all fluids changed and shocks rebuilt. Been ready for about a month now. First time I think that I have been this far ahead of the game. Too bad long range forecast looks so gloomy. Oh well at least I'll be ready when the weather permits.

P.S. If someone could turn pics upright it would be appreciated. I have tried to no avail. Thanks

post-19718-0-88639500-1449245311_thumb.jpg

post-19718-0-01343400-1449245328_thumb.jpg

post-19718-0-10443600-1449245347_thumb.jpg

Are you ready for the snow? I've been getting my Renegade ready for the season. In the summer I polished up the tunnel and took off all the oxidization.

Last week I decided to change my fluid. So the gear case no longer has a drain plug. You have to remove the exaust. Remove the battery and holder. Remove all the electrical on top of the case. Remove the retaining bolts. Open the bottom of the case and the crank case oil drains out. Could not get the case to open right up to check the gears and chain. So fill it up with new chain case oil and reinstall everything.

Change the engine oil. Try to open little trap door on bottom of belly pan to access two drain plugs. Screw which is a torque screw won't come out. Head strips. Get the dreamil and cut a slot in the head. Try a large screw driver with no avail. Get some viesgrips on screw driver and finally get it out. Attempt to remove drain plugs. No way. Must be loc tight in. One is a 10 mim bolt the other is a # 6 Hex key. Extension on rachet and lots of prying. Got it to crack. Had to go buy some longer hex keys to reach up in and get a pry extension on key. Got it to crack. Remove both and drain oil. Replace filter. Did not replace crush washer on drain plugs. Oops! Oil leak. Go get new crush washer and attemp to remove drain plug while plugging hole with my finger to add crush washer and plug. Lost minimum oil in procedure. Torque nuts to specified Tourque. Leave it for a day and no leak.

Load sled back on trailer. Check lights. Don't work as the trailer wires are brittle and broken. No problem have a spare set in garage. That's next weeks project Take mounting thingy for my super clamp which broke off last spring. Too old to order new one. Grind off old bolt that is welded in. Redrill hole and insert new bolt, flat washers, lock washer and second bolt. Drill out broken bolt in trailer deck. Use Easy out but it broke. Drill hole right through center of bolt so it can be prayed out buy griping end with vide grips. Finally get it out and test new mounting bolt and plate. Works just great.

So after I rewire trailer I'm already to go for the season. Well expect I will need to change my sliders but I always wait until it is -20 C out.

I love this snowmobile stuff.

attachicon.gifpost-21019-0-99432300-1449177805.jpg

RR

Fixed the picture for you

I have to clean clutches, carbs, put new seat cover on bravo. Clean clutches and carb on enticer, and install rear bumper, gas caddy, make a mount for nytro seat and figure out why the hand warmers aren't working on the xlv 540.

Judging by the forecast there's still plenty of time. Should have most of it done this weekend though.

P.S. If someone could turn pics upright it would be appreciated. I have tried to no avail. Thanks

It's a Ski-doo. That's the way I see them, most weekends :-P (man, on man, I better not need a tow in the forseeable future).

(Sledjunk's the photo editor - way to go, SJ). 

Thanks Sledjunky for fixing the pic.

RR

Ready to go. Summer toys are put away new sleds prepped by the dealer sitting in the trailer hubs greased hinges on the ramp greased. The only thing left is put the club stickers on

No end to the warm temps. Weather pattern could hold until end of December, it seems. Kind of looking like a 1998 to 1999 winter where the south was open for two weekends a month apart. Yikes!

I recall those years. Did not buy permit 'early' because wife was pregnant - reluctant to have the "how would you feel if I went snowmobiling all winter with buddy" conversation. Heard that pregnant women were so hormonal they could kill their husband and get away with it. Mactier lineage raised the ante. Held off and drew the line in the sand (snow?) at Feb. 1st. "No snow by Feb 1st and I won't buy a permit" I said to myself. Low and behold, a huge snowfall Feb 2nd. Bought the permit.

Anyhow, glad the OFSC sold a bunch of $180 permits this year. Permit sales are up, from all accounts, and customers shouldn't be too cheesed if they get a few less weekends. 

Close to being ready, put new ice attack track on. New dupont sliders. Replaced every bearing in skid whether they needed it or not . Greased skid.Shocks rebuilt. New bushings in front arm of skid.Change chaincase oil and both top and bottom bearings in chaincase. Changed brake side drive axle bearing. Fixed weeping valve cover and changed engine oil and filter. Just need to give the sled a final cleaning and install new trail pass and val sticker. Install new carbides after the trails get in shape.  :snow-141:   

The Rev needs a minimal inspection and quick going over. .. no rush. That's a 2 hour job.

The Cheyenne needs a carb cleaning, a pilot jet, couple of intake gaskets, replace fuel pump pulse hose and a grease job. ... it's in the garage now.

The 670 just got a freshen up rebuild, I noticed the primary clutch wobbling a bit at idle .... gonna put a dial indicator on the pto end and straighten it old school if needed. ... also saw a coupla drops of coolant near the weep hole , to keep an eye on it. It'll get a good degreasing and lube suspension and any other bearings it needs. Maybe put a set of yellow sliders under it ....

I'm pretty much ready other than a final buff to make her pretty. Sled has been gone over thoroughly . Greased , clutches cleaned and set up , all fluids changed and shocks rebuilt. Been ready for about a month now. First time I think that I have been this far ahead of the game. Too bad long range forecast looks so gloomy. Oh well at least I'll be ready when the weather permits.

attachicon.gifpost-22286-0-70647800-1449243811.jpg

attachicon.gif

post-22286-0-89927200-1449243851.jpg

attachicon.gifpost-22286-0-94791300-1449243882.jpg[/quote

ATTENTION MODERATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mods if you see this the above post was made by me . I am Kimrr not kimmer. You can see in the kimmer posts that the pics in the profile do not match up but do to my Kimrr posts. How did this happen. I just changed my password to do this as my old password would not work. Not sure how I could post and have someone else's profile show the post. I hope changing my password has cleared this up.

I believe the last three post put up by kimmer was by me (Kimrr) not by kimmer. I think kimmer was a one time deal.

An explanation would be appreciated.

I recall those years. Did not buy permit 'early' because wife was pregnant - reluctant to have the "how would you feel if I went snowmobiling all winter with buddy" conversation. Heard that pregnant women were so hormonal they could kill their husband and get away with it. Mactier lineage raised the ante. Held off and drew the line in the sand (snow?) at Feb. 1st. "No snow by Feb 1st and I won't buy a permit" I said to myself. Low and behold, a huge snowfall Feb 2nd. Bought the permit.

Anyhow, glad the OFSC sold a bunch of $180 permits this year. Permit sales are up, from all accounts, and customers shouldn't be too cheesed if they get a few less weekends. 

are you suggesting that a big guy like you was afraid of your wife? :D Mind you I know I sometimes choose my words carefully when speaking with mine.

Archived