Trailer question?

2fast4u

Someone was trying to tell me that you are no longer allowed to have a lock on your hitch pin for connecting the trailer to the tow vehicle. just a regular pin with cable is to be used. I've always used a lock. has anyone else heard of this law? I think he is blowing smoke up my ..... but he said he was told that at the mto.  Thanks.

Nope heard that.

By the MTO does he mean a weigh scale or licencing bureau?

From the same section of the HTA Act that says you can't drive w/ a hitch in your receiver?

I'll ask Odot (OPP) over on FS about it. He's on their SAVE team so should be quite familiar w/ the regs.

So you can lock the ball to the coupler but not the hitch pin. Someone is smoking the medical weed again!

Hot off the press from FS:

There is no difference.  I've never heard of this and I suspect you are right its the same as the old rumour about leaving your hitch in place.  Uggh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Set them straight REV!!!

2fast, tell your friend there is no basis to his comment.

I wish the MTO would sit down & prepare a handbook for trailer users to set the record straight. When the "no hitch rule" rumour was going around I asked a neighbour who is a retired OPP constable about it. He chuckled. He was visiting relatives near Kingston & 1 of his nephews saw his trailer hitch sticking out from his half ton & scolded him. The neighbour said he was pretty sure it was false. Afterwards he checked around & found out that the OPP had put an flyer out to its staff saying that there was no "trailer hitch in receiver rule". Apparently they had been bombarded w/ calls concerning the supposed law.

You hear these things from MTO staff. Sometimes I wonder if they would know a trailer from a wheelbarrow.

You hear these things from MTO staff. Sometimes I wonder if they would know a trailer from a wheelbarrow.

One you push and the other you pull? :lol:

Sorry guys i worded that wrong i meant not allowed to have a lock on the coupler only a pin is allowed. Not the reciever hitch pin.

Locking the coupler is an excellent idea...some igget unlatched my brother's boat while we were in Royal shopping. It was pure luck I bought something that needed to go in the box of the truck or I would have never of even checked...

I know a guy that got a ticket for having his hitch in the receiver on his jeep. It was actually a charge for an obstructive license plate, as the ball was inline with the plate and if your get on your hands and knees 1 or 2 number of the plate are blocked by it.

He was at a RIDE check and when the cop went around back to check the sticker and smashed his knee on it. He beat it in court, and still laughs about it today, he figures RIDE cops should be smart enough to watch for hitches.

However out of courtesy others, I always take the 10 seconds and pull mine when not in use. I'm more worried about the wife smacking her shins then anyone else. That's one ticket I can't afford ;)

And you won't win in court against the judge and jury. Lol

I know a guy that got a ticket for having his hitch in the receiver on his jeep. It was actually a charge for an obstructive license plate, as the ball was inline with the plate and if your get on your hands and knees 1 or 2 number of the plate are blocked by it.

He was at a RIDE check and when the cop went around back to check the sticker and smashed his knee on it. He beat it in court, and still laughs about it today, he figures RIDE cops should be smart enough to watch for hitches.

However out of courtesy others, I always take the 10 seconds and pull mine when not in use. I'm more worried about the wife smacking her shins then anyone else. That's one ticket I can't afford ;)

I've read on cycling forums about folks being ticketed for bike racks obscuring plates. Never heard personally of anyone having gotten a ticket though. 

I got rear ended once and my reciever went right threw his bumper,  didnt even put a scratch on my truck !

I got rear ended once and my reciever went right threw his bumper,  didnt even put a scratch on my truck !

Been there with the old motorhome . Guy was shaking his head and wondering how he did not see it 

I had that happen last year Christmas shopping. I was stopped waiting for the light coming out of the mall parking lot. Woman looking at her phone runs into the back of me and the hitch goes through the grill and rad with all the anti-freeze pouring out. She jumps out and it's my fault apparently. Then she says she doesn't know what she's going to tell her husband he needs the car for work. I look at the hitch and it looks like some of the black paint on the hitch may have been scratched but the chrome ball was fine.

If there that close, there going to hit you anyway .Saves your truck from being damaged ^_^Yup cell phones are bad ,see it all the time driving around on motorcycle.

This happened to me in October down in Kentucky. I was stopped at a light and a girl drove into the back of me. She had a beater S10 so it caught her in the bumper and pushed it in pretty good. No damage to me at all. Gave her hell for wiping the grease off the ball. I may replace the draw bar just in case the ball is damaged. It is only my 2" ball so that trailer isn't heavy. Glad to have it protect my truck.

Same here.

I got rearended by a guy in a minivan who didn't speak english. I got out to look. His bumper and grill were broke but no damage to me. After a moment of trying to converse, I got back in my truck and left.

Archived