Pics of GPS Mounts

Old Sledder

:cheers:

post-19875-0-38199600-1448654072_thumb.jpg

Dual purpose  :woot:  :woot:

post-19875-0-23627500-1448654640_thumb.jpg

Factory Glove Box extension on our new 2016 GT SE. Love it!

post-22413-0-42886200-1448658479_thumb.jpg

Holy smokes, Nutter. You can watch a hockey game on that screen. Beautiful!

That's just a little one, looks like an older Nuvi with a 3.9 or 4.3inch screen... the new Zumo has a 5.0inch the Nuvi I bought my son for Christmas last night is 6.1 inch.

As for mounting, unless your lucky enough to have a sled with the option to build one in like DaveTess, nice setup BTW. RAM mounts has everything you need...

http://www.rammount.com

Any good GPS store has them, Royal carries some along with Bass Pro Shop.

In the bike I've got a RAM handle bar mount, which has the same bolt hole spacing as my upper tank bolts, connected to a 4 inch arm.

20151127_172821.jpg

On the sled it's another handle bar mount similar to Nutters setup. Does make it hard to see sometimes,as your having to look left and nnot strait down like the dash. I've been thinking about seeing if I can move it in to the centre of the bars.

IMG00027-20100226-1649.jpg

I just picked up a Garmin 660 with a 6 inch screen. It looks a lot bigger in the truck than it did in the store. Huge differenc from the old one I had.

Garmin 660 LM ....Hope to be able to read it without have the reading glasses on...

PB271035_zpsdb8qibrb.jpg

Here's a Garmin Montana 600 mounted on my 2015 Arctic Cat XF8000 Sno Pro Limited....wired for always on.

XF8000GPS_zpsb34d8333.jpg

XF8000GPS_2_zps47ae63d9.jpg

XF8000GPS_3_zpsb579465b.jpg

installed an always hot fuse block under the cowling to power GPS, electric faceshield and a USB port to charge GoPro batteries.

XF8000FuseBlock_2_zpsa2499147.jpg

Here's a Garmin Montana 600 mounted on my 2015 Arctic Cat XF8000 Sno Pro Limited....wired for always on.

XF8000GPS_zpsb34d8333.jpg

XF8000GPS_2_zps47ae63d9.jpg

XF8000GPS_3_zpsb579465b.jpg

installed an always hot fuse block under the cowling to power GPS, electric faceshield and a USB port to charge GoPro batteries.

XF8000FuseBlock_2_zpsa2499147.jpg

why is the magnesium symbol there. Highly reactive and very soft metal. Doesn't seem like a good material for a sled

They have used magnesium on sleds for a decade or so. It doesn't rust, is strong since it is mixed with carbon and a few alloy's and most important it is lighter then steel. If it ever caught fire you could see the flame from the moon probably. Mag burns hot and bright.

On the sled I've been thinking about seeing if I can move it in to the centre of the bars.

IMG00027-20100226-1649.jpg

You should be able to come up w/ something Dave. I fabbed a mount for my 60CSx on the REV. Sorry I haven't got any pics, but the mount uses a Garmin holder & some "custon" bits to place the GPS between the throttle block & centre cover.

They have used magnesium on sleds for a decade or so. It doesn't rust, is strong since it is mixed with carbon and a few alloy's and most important it is lighter then steel. If it ever caught fire you could see the flame from the moon probably. Mag burns hot and bright.

Crummy unrepairable metal but light it should not be on sleds 

Machine shop servered my apprenticeship lost a million dollar CNC machine one day cutting magnesium. Someone was grinding steel next to it and set on fire.

Machine shop servered my apprenticeship lost a million dollar CNC machine one day cutting magnesium. Someone was grinding steel next to it and set on fire.

Yikes!

My only experience w/ magnesium was watching a strip of it burn in chemistry class. I'm not aware of it being used in our operations. I don't think its qualities are suitable in making tooling. Lots of alum' though on robotic "end effectors".

I had an old KX250 with a hole in the right side cover for the crankcase. ... a local shop welded it up no sweat.

Magnesium oil tanks are not the easiest to check to see how much oil you have in the tank either. Should have been see through plastic like the rest of the industry.

Yikes!

My only experience w/ magnesium was watching a strip of it burn in chemistry class. I'm not aware of it being used in our operations. I don't think its qualities are suitable in making tooling. Lots of alum' though on robotic "end effectors".

I had a buddy who did his college thesis on welding magnesium ... some ridiculous amount of voltage and amperage (tens of thousands of amps) to be able to arc-weld it ... took some special permissions to obtain the materials, and it was a success.  The data collected from the experiment was sent to some government agency ... don't recall which, they were very interested.

Back to the topic at hand,  I had made a mount for my Explorist 610 from a few machine screws and a 3 inch 90° corner brace ... pretty cheezy but very effective.  I moved it from the truck to the sled last year, and that's where it stayed.  I've seen many people using RAM mounts for the explorists, due to their shape the ram works well.  Adapters to fit any unit on any surface... I don't have one but it's good stuff.

I made a custom mount for my GPS from a manually formed piece of 1/4 Lexan that fits behind the instrument cluster.  I then attached a 'clamshell' mount from old cellular handsets and attached the RAM mount to it.  Kept the GPS to the right of the cluster and somewhat tucked under the windshield.

I talked to a number of people, some of whom said they had lost their GPS from their sled when hitting the bumps (look down and find the power cable flapping) and others who had never had a problem. I don't have a picture of it on the sled but this is what I use.

post-21351-0-65146300-1448827842_thumb.jpg

There are Velcro straps that wrap around the handlebars either side of the centre post and a weather proof cover to protect it from the elements.

I talked to a number of people, some of whom said they had lost their GPS from their sled when hitting the bumps (look down and find the power cable flapping) and others who had never had a problem. I don't have a picture of it on the sled but this is what I use.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

There are Velcro straps that wrap around the handlebars either side of the centre post and a weather proof cover to protect it from the elements.

Nice bag. I currently use a RAM motorcycle mount and has worked very well for several years now. I do like this Givi bag which would make it easier at rest stops to remove and bring into a restaurant or hotel for the night and have some sort of protection.

Archived