TOP E Reroute Old Hastings/Paudash Connection?

revrnd

I was over in the Old Hastings area today north of the Rose Island Road. There seems to be a reroute in the works for TOP E. There were trail signs along the Hogan Lake Road and Trail Closed signs on Bush Road west of Hogan Lake Road. If the trail across the Crowe River bridge is closed to join up with the Paudash trails, there will be quite a bit of road running involved. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Was in the OHSR newsletter Top E re-routed mentioned using Rose Island Rd. 

I'll miss the iron bridge and the valley, was our go to spot for first timers. 

That hill was tough on the groomer, last couple years they turned around up top which I think was actually better for the snow cover on that rock strewn hill. 

Throttle jockeys wouldn't rip it apart as you had to pick your way thru.

May have has something to do with summer ATV's, there was always much damage on the valley floor as bikes enjoyed getting stuck in the muck. 

Recovery straps left around trees and the land ruined. 

Many signs posted to discourage the ATV's.

Just a guess, landowner may have finally given up. 

I guess the landowner gets to keep the bridge?

For those unfamiliar w/ the area, the bridge is located @ the bottom of a valley that stretches a long ways in both directions. More or less impossible to reroute to a neighbouring property.

I wonder if any thought has been made to cross in the area between Lowry & Mountain lakes? Years ago there was a bush trail thru there from the vicinity of the MNR's "pine cone farm".

The reroute is not shown on the D2 map.

There will be a reroute around the bridge this season. It will entail about 2 klicks of road running

I sent a email to OHSR, they were good enough to respond right away....

"Thank you for your interest in our trails.   The re route is due to long ongoing landowner issue.  We have plans to relocate the bridge, but permits from the ministry don’t happen over night (or over months for that matter).  The trail will be heading down a very small part of the rose island rd.  The ditch will be groomed most of the way.   The road running will be minimized as much as possible. (less than .5 km)   Unfortunately we don’t have a lot of options in getting over the Crowe River.  We appreciate the use of the land for the last 35 years, maybe the problem will get resolved."

Wow sounds Familar. Hopefully an agreement can be reached to save that trail for future use.

Have you heard any word about the E north of the 118 that was closed last season?

Sad news when we loose a trail due to a landowner fed up with the abuse. I fully understand the landowners point of view and reasons and I hope it can be resolved in the future.

Have you heard any word about the E north of the 118 that was closed last season?

Just heard.....

"Hey Rob. No we are not using the previous E trail north of hwy 118. We are using the old sno 5 to harcourt. Working on it this weekend if you want to join.

Roger. That is whats on the map."

If I understand this correctly, this is good news as that was a bugger of a bypass last year, if you compare the district 2 map from last(before the detour) to this year, looks like just a small change (guess to get around a landowner issue).

Any word on the Harcourt restaurant (Algonquin) that was closed last year?

I can't help this weekend, but if anyone can, I can put you in touch.  Apparently a ton to do trail clearing wise.

Sad news when we loose a trail due to a landowner fed up with the abuse. I fully understand the landowners point of view and reasons and I hope it can be resolved in the future.

We can be our own worst enemy thanks to a few bad apples who just don't get it, You want to bet the most vocal complainers about the re-route will be those who caused it in the first place, Then you'll have those that will ignore the trail closed signs, cut off locks, open gates etc. They are entitled... they paid their $180

ATV related, no signs or gates would deter them. 

A nice mud bog in spring/summer with many trees to winch to was too much to resist. 

The damage down in the valley was gruesome, truly a loss of a wonderful spot to take a break used by many. 

• 2 weeks later...

I used to own the property on the west side of the bridge. Sold it two years ago. It was absolutely unbelievable the spring/summer/fall trespassing on my property from ATVs on the OFSC trail. They all said the same thing "d'uh I thought this was Crown land". Tore down gates, signs. I found one guy with a chain saw cutting down trees to widen the trail up from the valley for his side-by-side. I'm not surprised this trail is closed now, and doubt it will ever be opened again. This will be an ongoing overall issue until ATV trespassing is dealt with seriously.

FYI - the bridge in the valley is on public land (the 66-foot shoreline road allowance abutting both sides of the Crowe, but private land will have to be crossed to access and/or remove it.

I used to own the property on the west side of the bridge. Sold it two years ago. It was absolutely unbelievable the spring/summer/fall trespassing on my property from ATVs on the OFSC trail. They all said the same thing "d'uh I thought this was Crown land". Tore down gates, signs. I found one guy with a chain saw cutting down trees to widen the trail up from the valley for his side-by-side. I'm not surprised this trail is closed now, and doubt it will ever be opened again. This will be an ongoing overall issue until ATV trespassing is dealt with seriously.

Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for the use of your land when you owned. It's sad how some people refuse to respect private property, both Atv riders and sledders.

X2 welcome to the forum Timberman.

Welcome to OC. 

I'm well aware of the issues in that area. There was some other properties that the ATVers seem to think was Crown in the area.

How do you think it is Crown land when you cut locks and fencing to proceed through....DOH

It happens more often than you want to know about.

What is it about a locked gate & a no trespassing sign that is so hard to figure out?

Archived