Club meeting, important issues to resolve

vooodooo

Email from someone who cares deeply about SKR, despite not living in the area, or actually riding for a while.

Greetings. On Tuesday November 10th 2015at 7pm the Stoney Keppel Riders request your attendance at Mike Mortons residence 17 PineTree Hepworth. Bottom line is the club is struggling and we need to sit down and figure out whether we can operate a trail system this year. At present the club needs some people to step up and volunteer to adopt a stretch of trail to stake/sign and brush. Not a big commitment if we can get some help. I understand home and work commitments that we all have but this commitment is maybe one weekend in the fall and one weekend  in the spring when the trails open and close. We, as a club need to also discuss whether we maintain our Not for Profit status or join GBST as a chapter. There are far less positions and paperwork  involved as a Chapter while still maintaining  independence.

Please mark this down on your calendar and attend.

The last couple years the club has opened all of our trails through dogged determination by people who don't ride or ride very little.

There have been a few people that have stepped up over the last couple years, many thanks to them, 

At the same time the club has had many volunteers bow out for various reasons, mainly they just don't own snowmobiles anymore. Many thanks to them for their past service.

This seasons trails are still in question. The list of issues is long, but not insurmountable.

A few years ago SKR sold close to 200 permits, last year was close to that.

Meetings usually comprise of 5-6 people.

Remember..The permit allows you to ride available trails.

For every mile of trail there are volunteers who makes that trail happen.

No volunteers, no trail.

Come to the meeting.

You know how it is at some Northern camp, where it's just a bunch of sledders in a comfortable room with a beverage or two? That's the way it is at SKR meetings.

There is no old boys club bullshit.

Most of the guys who do the actual work were thrown into their positions not by choice, but be necessity.

Meet the dedicated few, discuss the issues, come up with solutions.

Pm me if you need more info

Shows how important it is to have Club participation.  We all enjoy riding our great trails - we need to give back (or pay it forward).  Good luck to Stoney Keppel Riders.

Definitely a story we have heard before from many clubs.  Really tough to get through my head at times everyone out there riding and don't do a damm thing to put the trails up. Should be if you don't get out and help the permit should be double.....and they probably still would pay it and not help. Any way now I am grumpy to start my day.  Good luck SKR  Maybe the new structuring that is happening will encourage people to come out.

great post most important thing in sport landowners and grassroots volenteers 

great post most important thing in sport landowners and grassroots volenteers 

Yes and using the success of the HNSC is the perfect example. D9 club of the year thanks to the grassroots gang and the strong relationship they have with their landowners ( due to honesty and hard work)

Hope things get resolved

Sounds like they just need some new blood and are trying social media to get more involved. Hope it works for them, since it is a great area to ride.

Definitely a story we have heard before from many clubs.  Really tough to get through my head at times everyone out there riding and don't do a damm thing to put the trails up. Should be if you don't get out and help the permit should be double.....and they probably still would pay it and not help. Any way now I am grumpy to start my day.  Good luck SKR  Maybe the new structuring that is happening will encourage people to come out.

Well said.

You are correct.

I will gladly pay $500, probably be better off paying $1000+ for my one permit and not be involved, save for being a permit buyer only.

That's only because you are a burnt out VP, treasurer, secretary, permit coordinator, trail inspector, RM , signage inspector, stake painting/pounding/signing ,brush trimming, trail patrolling volunteer. Did I miss anything ??( LOL).

That's only because you are a burnt out VP, treasurer, secretary, permit coordinator, trail inspector, RM , signage inspector, stake painting/pounding/signing ,brush trimming, trail patrolling volunteer. Did I miss anything ??( LOL).

Lmfao

All true, yet somehow you manage to do more than I do..

Add my wife into that, she doesn't ride, Thank god she did the secretary and treasurer jobs or we'd be friged.

I'll be paying that favor forward for a long time, I couldn't do those jobs, it's just not in my abilities, she just saw me floundering, badly and took over.

When you step back from all of the volunteer positions snowmobiling actually becomes fun again. I haven't been to a club meeting for a year or so. I set up my section of trail (back feeling it tonight) and wait for the snow so I can ride.

Had our meeting tonight..18 new 'young" members walked through the doors with regrets from another 8. Super turnout. We will grow and thrive from here. NVS, your statement is so true. That where we want to get to. Club voted to proceed from NFP status to Chapter. Looking positive

That is excellent news.

Great news... when you say new "young" Does that mean they aren't retired yet or 20/30 something

Found the key to the 25-35 yrs age group

They are out there and they will help if they are sure the old guys won't do the work.. They do want trails to ride and they like to get  to use their ATV's.

I'm glad you were successful cause it is too nice an area to be without trails.

The meeting went very well.

Those that attended have really stepped up.

They've already staked, brushed and liaised with land owners to solve problems.

It helps that at least one new volunteer already had experience with another club.

Was much the same when I moved up here from the Orangeville area. I'd been involved in that club, (I was a newbie and they showed me the ropes) and could easily slide into a new club.

They solved problems I saw coming down the pipe, without the old guys involvement. Super happy with that.

They even opened up some trail we gave up on a few years ago. 

Networking has allowed us to regain a disgruntled land owner that we thought was beyond hope,

Thx, Faceman and others.

The old guys now have time to get us off the road and back on snow.

I couldn't be more impressed with how things are going.

Now we just need a new " heated information station", since a land sale took our last one.

With the work load spread around, there is already new vigor to make that happen.

vooodooo, this is great!!!

vooodooo, this is great!!!

X2, I'm very happy for you guys. Thanks for all the work you have done.

The meeting went very well.

Those that attended have really stepped up.

They've already staked, brushed and liaised with land owners to solve problems.

It helps that at least one new volunteer already had experience with another club.

Was much the same when I moved up here from the Orangeville area. I'd been involved in that club, (I was a newbie and they showed me the ropes) and could easily slide into a new club.

They solved problems I saw coming down the pipe, without the old guys involvement. Super happy with that.

They even opened up some trail we gave up on a few years ago. 

Networking has allowed us to regain a disgruntled land owner that we thought was beyond hope,

Thx, Faceman and others.

The old guys now have time to get us off the road and back on snow.

I couldn't be more impressed with how things are going.

Now we just need a new " heated information station", since a land sale took our last one.

With the work load spread around, there is already new vigor to make that happen.

Leave me out of this!

Archived