Gull Lake, Minden to trails?!

Hello Everyone! 

First post here, so glad I found this forum. My wife and I got into sledding last year. We're from Peterborough but have a cottage on Gull Lake right near Kilcoo Camp. Last year we were trailering the sleds into Minden to ride. What I would like to know is if anyone knows if you can get to the trails from the Lake. Looking at the map it shows and old closed trail at the bottom of the Lake in the Queen Elizabeth II provincial park. Does anyone know if you can still get through there or do I need to keep trailering? Would be nice to leave right from the Cottage.

Thanks for any help. The snow will be here soon!

Sean

Welcome to the forum!  I don't have an answer for you, but I am sure there will be some good information from others.

Hope you enjoy your time here and visit often.

Welcome to the forum and the sport.... sorry I don't have an answer for you but you are in the right place to find someone who will. You many want to post this in the Main Clubhouse as not everyone checks the individual club forums. If you go to the sled show at the International Centre this weekend you can pick up all of the current trail maps and may find someone who knows the answer in your district booth. Also if you check on the OFSC website and look at the interactive trail guide you can zoom in and may find your answer there as well.

I was just looking at the interactive guide and there doesn't seem to be any official trails leading to B112 which seems to be the trail you start out on but that doesn't mean some of the locals haven't gotten together and by mutual agreement of letting each other ride on their property created their own unofficial trail. Some do exist but sometimes when you follow these tracks you end up in someones front yard with nowhere else to go.

Welcome to the forum and the sport.... sorry I don't have an answer for you but you are in the right place to find someone who will. You many want to post this in the Main Clubhouse as not everyone checks the individual club forums. If you go to the sled show at the International Centre this weekend you can pick up all of the current trail maps and may find someoIne who knows the answer in your district booth. Also if you check on the OFSC website and look at the interactive trail guide you can zoom in and may find your answer there as well.

I was just looking at the interactive guide and there doesn't seem to be any official trails leading to B112 which seems to be the trail you start out on but that doesn't mean some of the locals haven't gotten together and by mutual agreement of letting each other ride on their property created their own unofficial trail. Some do exist but sometimes when you follow these tracks you end up in someones front yard with nowhere else to go.

Thank you! Yes, I will be at the show this weekend so I will ask around. Looking at the trail maps there isn't really a way, but I see all kinds of sleds heading across the lake right by our cottage. The b112 isn't that far from the west side of the lake, so there must be a way somehow for the number of sleds I've seen on the lake.

Welcome to the forum, great group on here and lots of information.

Be warned of the Mouse...lol,

Looking forward to a great season!!!

Welcome to the forum, great group on here and lots of information.

Be warned of the Mouse...lol,

Looking forward to a great season!!!

You forgot to mention don't give the monkey any bananas

There is some people that ride through QEW but  if you are new to sledding and your wife is your back up you should not ride in that area , a lot of unsafe ice I don t think anyone sleds toward minden some of the hills are pretty crazy in that direction from black lake to head lake is a good ride but all lakes we never ride in there till late season even then there is bad ice in spots  . Davis lake rd at miners bay will take you to the trail .What part of Gull lake are you at , we used to ride gull lake but lots of slush and always open water. Best thing to do volunteer at the snowmobile club in your area , its a good way to get to know the area and how to get around on the lake to access the trails, just remember that if you see a snowmobile track on the lake does not mean that it is safe.

There is some people that ride through QEW but  if you are new to sledding and your wife is your back up you should not ride in that area , a lot of unsafe ice I don t think anyone sleds toward minden some of the hills are pretty crazy in that direction from black lake to head lake is a good ride but all lakes we never ride in there till late season even then there is bad ice in spots  . Davis lake rd at miners bay will take you to the trail .What part of Gull lake are you at , we used to ride gull lake but lots of slush and always open water. Best thing to do volunteer at the snowmobile club in your area , its a good way to get to know the area and how to get around on the lake to access the trails, just remember that if you see a snowmobile track on the lake does not mean that it is safe.

Thanks for the info. We're 5 minutes north of Miners Bay just off of hwy 35. The cottage road is called Lackies Lane. I explored the north end of the lake a bit last year, and yes definitely saw lots of open water near the mouth of the river. It's not that big of a deal to trailer them into town, it would just be nice to leave right from the cottage.

Send a PM to either Teener or Livin on the B103 on this forum.  They are both on the board of HCSA and great people who should be able to help.

Hi Sean, welcome to the forum! The advise to not venture in to the QE 2 park is wise. The trail has not been maintained for several years. There are lots of trails that HCSA does maintain and I would be happy to discuss. As SJ suggested, send me a PM with your info and we can talk.  Of note,the QE 2 is being looked at by many to be reopened and I am part of those discussions.

Livin'

Hi Livin. That's great news about the QE2 park. Keep us updated. Thanks Leaf

Welcome to the forum Sean. Lots of great people here who share your name.

Hi Re:Leaf, it certainly won't be open this year didn't mean to mislead anyone. But, I can tell you that right folks that can make this happen are talking to each other!!

Livin'

Hi Re:Leaf, it certainly won't be open this year didn't mean to mislead anyone. But, I can tell you that right folks that can make this happen are talking to each other!!

Livin'

What would it take to safely reopen this trail. I do know some of it still has the old trail markers out there. Be hard to follow now for sure, without knowledge of the area.

That would be great if it did re-open! If it's a matter of putting some work into re-clearing trails and such I would be willing to volunteer some time in the off season. I'm sure there would be lots of others willing to do the same.

The "talk" started a year ago, just to give you an idea of the players involved: 3 snowmobile clubs,2 districts, MNR, Parks, townships, counties all have been involved. Add to this 1 bridge on land that cant be installed and another on private land of questionable construction. Never in my wildest dreams did I understand how much work goes into establishing and maintaining trails. Add to this that under MOTS  club trails that exist are at risk never mind re-opening temporary closed trails. sean80, so now you might have a better picture of

what is required before this can become a reality. Thanks for the offer and be sure to find me either through a PM here or at hcsa.ca and fill out the contact form and I will respond.

Livin'

So many take the trails for granted never realizing how much time effort negotiating and planning go into opening a trail long before you even start the physical work

Welcome to the forum, Sean. Great info, Livin'

Interestingly, the more you volunteer, the greater the smile when you ride the trails.

Bridges aren't just bridges - they're "one hundred hours" spent dealing with the entities outlined above.

Looking forward to some trail work this weekend in our area  - truly the start of the snowmobile season.

02Sled,I couldn't agree more. I really had no idea before I became involved in HCSA. Canuck, tell me more of these 100 hour bridges you speak of. You must have some sort of fast track system!! LMAO

Wow that's a lot of work and coordinating between different groups. I had no idea,I apologize for my ignorance. My wife and I are coming into our first full season of riding; we started late last year. Hope to see you all out on the trails!

No Sean80, after I wrote that I was afraid I was coming off like a jerk... look at all the stuff poor old me has to do. Many folks here do the same and more to make the system work!!

Don't apologize for anything, you know your in the right place for sleddin' when your first post generates over 20 replies!!

See you out there.

Livin`

Bottom line Sean80 is that we are all here for a common reason. Sledding - Pray for snow

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i just was reading the posts.

Would the old Anson Mountain trail be the one that goes through the park?

It was quite a ride in the dark, as i remember.

Would be great to see that area opened again.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a '98 trail map and it was old trail 2 and, yes, it went past Anson Mt then past Scrabble Mt then it split before Black Lk with HCSA 14 going down to Head Lake and 2 continueing on crossing Hwy 35 at the top of Moore Lk and hooking up to B104 at South Beaver Lk. I can scan and post the map if anyone is interested.

Archived