French River Snowmobile Assoc.

Rich Saul

Its that time of year again,    First prize,      2016 Ski Doo Renegade 600 sport

2nd prize       2016  Tohatsu  2.5hp 4 stroke outboard motor

3rd prize       2 Adirondack Composite plastic chairs

4th prize       5 piece Logan wicker bar table & stools

5th prize       Charbroil SS 65,000 BTU Six burner BBQ

Draw date Feb 14th 2016 @ the groomer shed, North Channel Rd, Noelville On.           $10.00 each.    ONLY 2500 tickets

Any one wanting tickets just mail us a check to,                  O.N.L.  Box 117 Alban Ont  P0M 1A0     Payable to FRSA

Thanks for the continued support,  Rich

705 857 2565

post-21500-0-70353600-1440446932_thumb.j

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to give Nunz $20 and ask him to buy 2 for me...

drop some tickets off here please

Bill, I very much look forward to meeting you at the AGM.

I always enjoy your thoughtful, helpful and sometimes humorous contributions here on OC.

I was in Port Severn last weekend and hoped to make my way to your Shop but it didn't materialize due to being water access.

Did you have your District presentation yet?

Brian

I always enjoy your thoughtful, helpful and sometimes humorous contributions here on OC.

I was in Port Severn last weekend and hoped to make my way to your Shop but it didn't materialize due to being water access.

Brian

where about in Port Severn... that's my neck of the woods along with a few others

Brian

yes we did still thinking 

where about in Port Severn... that's my neck of the woods along with a few others

A long time friend of my wife who has an old family cottage on island 30 (Black......) on the Back Channel.

She keeps her pontoon boat at Starport.

Some amazing and costly mansions up there and I only saw a small portion.

It looks like OFSC trail comes right into The Dam Grill.

A long time friend of my wife who has an old family cottage on island 30 (Black......) on the Back Channel.

right dam to it 

I know the island you mention. We have two properties in Port Severn. One is on Port Severn Rd N across from the Township Park and the other is on Yellowhead Island (Island 20). The OFSC trail TOP C does indeed run right past the front door of Dam Grill. He is open all winter. See the map below.  Also on Lone Pine Road #1 is H&S Amco (permits, fuel for you and the sled - great breakfast)  #2 Timmies, Pizza Nova, Hero Burger, Pita Hut and Petro Can.  There are two #3 which are places to park your truck and trailer and stage from. #4 is Sunnylea Cottages which are open in the winter #5 is Dam Grill and #6 is School House Fish & Chips. They just changed ownership and reopened. They will be open this winter as well.  

post-21351-0-66108900-1440590748_thumb.jpg

There are some amazing properties indeed. One of my favourites is for sale. A paltry $2,390,000.00 and it is a cottage not a home. The deck at the waters edge is the landing pad for the 4 door helicopter. The one next door is if I recall correctly his brothers and is also for sale. I am not sure if he is selling his boat with it as well or not. It is a centre console about 30' with 3, 300 hp Merc engines.

http://www.georgianbaycottages.com/single-listing-details-view/?listing=276

I know the island you mention. We have two properties in Port Severn. One is on Port Severn Rd N across from the Township Park and the other is on Yellowhead Island (Island 20). The OFSC trail TOP C does indeed run right past the front door of Dam Grill. He is open all winter. See the map below.  Also on Lone Pine Road #1 is H&S Amco (permits, fuel for you and the sled - great breakfast)  #2 Timmies, Pizza Nova, Hero Burger, Pita Hut and Petro Can.  There are two #3 which are places to park your truck and trailer and stage from. #4 is Sunnylea Cottages which are open in the winter #5 is Dam Grill and #6 is School House Fish & Chips. They just changed ownership and reopened. They will be open this winter as well.  

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

There are some amazing properties indeed. One of my favourites is for sale. A paltry $2,390,000.00 and it is a cottage not a home. The deck at the waters edge is the landing pad for the 4 door helicopter. The one next door is if I recall correctly his brothers and is also for sale. I am not sure if he is selling his boat with it as well or not. It is a centre console about 30' with 3, 300 hp Merc engines.

http://www.georgianbaycottages.com/single-listing-details-view/?listing=276

maybe your wife will buy one 

maybe your wife will buy one 

hey... you're not allowed to talk to her from now on and give her any ideas. As I contemplate the potential of retirement and being a poor pensioner on a fixed income she still operates like government and believes in deficit spending it seems. If I do opt for retirement we will build our house in Port Severn and move out of Toronto which I hope will keep her busy enough doing the furnishing and decorating but at the same time it will be much more modest. What I am looking at is about 1450 sq. ft.

And to think that I want to downsize from 1040 square feet.

Anyone have any experience with Quality Homes. This is one I am considering but have it shrunk a little bit

http://www.qualityhomes.ca/en/dreamhomescottages/Lindsay.asp

We have a quality homes Arthur model not impressed

Was yours one of thier prefab models too? I have heard of other people having issues too. Better off to make your own plans and find a builder to do the work.

Was yours one of thier prefab models too? I have heard of other people having issues too. Better off to make your own plans and find a builder to do the work.

I have been looking around at all of the options and am finding that what you suggest is a custom home and you will look at $5K - $6K having plans drawn up for the township to approve before you start and then the cost of the home upon completion will mean that you have about 20% to 25% more into it than you could sell it for. Almost everyone I have spoken to that has gone this route tells me the cost of the build is always more than was quoted and budgeted, always takes longer than  planned and dependent upon the weather during the construction the quality varies significantly.

I have been looking around at all of the options and am finding that what you suggest is a custom home and you will look at $5K - $6K having plans drawn up for the township to

approve before you start and then the cost of the

home upon completion will mean that you have

about 20% to 25% more into it than you could

sell it for. Almost everyone I have spoken to that

has gone this route tells me the cost of the

build is always more than was quoted and

budgeted, always takes longer than planned

and dependent upon the weather during the

construction the quality varies significantly.

You won't save any money, but if you do your home work, you will end up with a higher quality building at a competive price. There is always surprises along the way. All of the problems I have run into relate to the quality of the ground. If you have to dig deeper to find solid ground, going to cost you more to get foundation in the ground. Always budget 25 percent more then planned.

I have been looking around at all of the options and am finding that what you suggest is a custom home and you will look at $5K - $6K having plans drawn up for the township to approve before you start and then the cost of the home upon completion will mean that you have about 20% to 25% more into it than you could sell it for. Almost everyone I have spoken to that has gone this route tells me the cost of the build is always more than was quoted and budgeted, always takes longer than  planned and dependent upon the weather during the construction the quality varies significantly.

My best man and best friend checked out Quality and Royal Homes.They both gave him very interesting quotes but when it came time for site inspection and final pricing,there was a terrible price increase.They said it was because the location was Muskoka/Parry Sound.Be very careful O2.

You won't save any money, but if you do your home work, you will end up with a higher quality building at a competive price. There is always surprises along the way. All of the problems I have run into relate to the quality of the ground. If you have to dig deeper to find solid ground, going to cost you more to get foundation in the ground. Always budget 25 percent more then planned.

In my case I will need to blast through rock to put in the basement. No problems finding anything solid.

As for access I can stand where my front porch would be and see 400 hwy off ramp.  The part I really like is I have municipal water and sewer so no need to worry about septic or well. Then as I think about emergency services access as I age, the fire dept is just around the corner.

No trees to clear. TOP C runs in front of the property and the water on the rear.

Sounds like an awesome building site. If you can keep the granite and polish it for your basement floor, you can cut costs. My mother in law's mother, did this in hailburton back in the 60's. Looks awesome.

Maybe take a drive around the area and talk to people that recent built and see what they think.

My best man and best friend checked out Quality and Royal Homes.They both gave him very interesting quotes but when it came time for site inspection and final pricing,there was a terrible price increase.They said it was because the location was Muskoka/Parry Sound.Be very careful O2.

hook them and haul them in .

Sounds like an awesome building site. If you can keep the granite and polish it for your basement floor, you can cut costs. My mother in law's mother, did this in hailburton back in the 60's. Looks awesome.

Maybe take a drive around the area and talk to people that recent built and see what they think.

I am picking peoples brains about what good and bad experiences they have had. I have the names of a few home builders that people here have recommended in the past. If I go custom I have been working on a floor plan using Visio software for quite some time to lay out exactly what I want. One of the things a friend did that I think I would like to do is a stone floor in the front entry and have it heated. Never have to do anything to it but damp mop. My floor plan only has two bedrooms. It's all we need one for us and one for overnight guests which would be rare. I showed my floor plan to an architect to get an idea what it would cost to have the plans made that would be suitable to present to the township and the guy kept going on about how I need to have 3 bedrooms for resale value. He didn't seem to grasp my saying I don't care about resale value... I'll be leaving there horizontal. Resale will be up to our niece and nephew.

I had never considered the granite floor in the basement though. Doesn't it make for a very cold floor?

I would say it is no different then concrete and it is interesting for sure. Couldn't ruin it if you tried.

Archived