Burks falls cottage

mjack7

Hey folks , looking for a cottage in the burks falls area , the one I'm currently interested in does not have a ofsc trail close by. It's atleast 5 miles away. Do guys just make there own trails running from there residence to the trail via ditch or road running? I'm buying this primarily for winter use and trying to avoid lots of road running if possible or is not not all that bad runing rural roads in the Muskokas?

Thanks for any input.

One of our neighbouring club trails actually runs a cottage road for quite some distance (km's) but I never paid close attention to how many. Sometimes it's great and snow covered completely. Other times there is a lot of snirt and you find yourself with your right ski riding up onto the plow banks as far as you can to keep some lubrication and cooling going.

There have been many times when we have just avoided it and taken alternate routes / destinations. Really I think it depends on how much snow you get and how cold it stays as well as is it a municipally maintained road or a private road.

If you are using a real estate agent from the area, I would check with them.  Most of the roads in that area are kept pretty good for sledders (usually leave snow on the sides).  What area were you looking at.

Waterfront or rural property?  Most Almaguin area lakes are pretty safe, once they freeze, and last well past the trails in spring.  Most have direct trail access.  Horn Lake is an exception and Bernard is not quite as handy because of road access to trails.  Sand Lake, Doe , Pickerel, Jack, Cecebe, Eagle,  etc are all very good.  Rural roads can be limiting, and it varies by municipality.

This is just my personal opinion, but if I were in your position I would not take a place that requires much road running to get to the trails. The snowmobile season is short enough as it is, and once the sun gets at the roads in the latter portion of the season, road running is dastardly. Don't get me wrong, I love running along roads when the conditions are suitable, and there are indeed days when the road running is ok before the trails are opened, but I would not recommend a cottage location that would cause you to have to "rely" upon using the roads, unless you are prepared to truck or trailer your sled to the trails.

If you're looking for a cottage with snowmobiling in mind, you need to carefully assess each prospective property. I think you should screen each candidate property with one or two knowledgeable local snowmobilers. It would be a real shame to go to all the trouble and expense, only to find out later that you made a mistake.

This is just my personal opinion, but if I were in your position I would not take a place that requires much road running to get to the trails. The snowmobile season is short enough as it is, and once the sun gets at the roads in the latter portion of the season, road running is dastardly. Don't get me wrong, I love running along roads when the conditions are suitable, and there are indeed days when the road running is ok before the trails are opened, but I would not recommend a cottage location that would cause you to have to "rely" upon using the roads, unless you are prepared to truck or trailer your sled to the trails.

If you're looking for a cottage with snowmobiling in mind, you need to carefully assess each prospective property. I think you should screen each candidate property with one or two knowledgeable local snowmobilers. It would be a real shame to go to all the trouble and expense, only to find out later that you made a mistake.

That is one of the criteria we used when we bought our property in Port Severn. C Trail runs past the front door. We compromised on the water front being on a small dead end channel but has easy access to the rest of the lake.

5 Miles of road running is not going to be fun if the plow decides to scrape or when the sun starts heating the road.

If there is not another route (check with locals) then I'd find a closer place.  I chose wisely and have TOP D running in front of my place on the Lake :) 

I chose wisely ..............  :)

isn't the mouse a neighbour?  :-P

(But agree with you re: lake access to trail. Can't beat it - although dependant upon consistent freezing temps for trail access)

Thanks for the info guys . One is on the trail , one is a k down the road another is about 7 k down the road. All roads are rural and here what your saying about late season but all have water close by which we'll make access easier. There was a dandy that's been for sale since last fall. Trail was at the door step basically to the property then ran into the bush along the side. Just when I was getting serious to buy after looking at a few it sells that week after being up for 5 months. Tedious work back and forth between the mls and Ofsc sites. Checking some out this weekend a couple west of 11 and 2 east of 11.

Thanks for the info guys . One is on the trail , one is a k down the road another is about 7 k down the road. All roads are rural and here what your saying about late season but all have water close by which we'll make access easier. There was a dandy that's been for sale since last fall. Trail was at the door step basically to the property then ran into the bush along the side. Just when I was getting serious to buy after looking at a few it sells that week after being up for 5 months. Tedious work back and forth between the mls and Ofsc sites. Checking some out this weekend a couple west of 11 and 2 east of 11.

try parry sound  several on horseshoe lake on trail 201

isn't the mouse a neighbour?  :-P

(But agree with you re: lake access to trail. Can't beat it - although dependant upon consistent freezing temps for trail access)

The trail proximity outweighed the loss of value having the mouse nearby.

Contact Jack Backus at Remax/Hunstville . He is the Almaguin District Snowmobile club trail boss,formerly the president for many years. He has  also been involved  with the Near North Association for many years also.He would be able to help point you in the right direction with the purchase of your vacation home.   

The trail proximity outweighed the loss of value having the mouse nearby.

Actually truth be told the mouse is a good guy not at all like his persona here .............well maybe a bit 

Actually truth be told the mouse is a good guy not at all like his persona here .............well maybe a bit 

okay so now you have a neighbourhood with the mouse and the monkey.... could make for some interesting Saturday nights

Was that the one on Chetwynd Road? It was even for sale 2 winters ago, snowmobiled by a few times. Was the perfect spot for snowmobiling.  If your not dealing with an agent yet, I would second contacting Jack Backus, very much involved in the almaguin club.  Good luck with the search.

You looking to be banned? :ph34r:

okay so now you have a neighbourhood with the mouse and the monkey.... could make for some interesting Saturday nights

Oh, it does....  But what happens in Housey's Rapids, Stays in Housey's Rapids.....

Was that the one on Chetwynd Road? It was even for sale 2 winters ago, snowmobiled by a few times. Was the perfect spot for snowmobiling.  If your not dealing with an agent yet, I would second contacting Jack Backus, very much involved in the almaguin club.  Good luck with the search.

Yes that was the one, just want something smaller with a garage, close to the trail. That would have been perfect. For sale for 2 years. , ya go figure .

Anyone live on stoney Rd or south horn lake rd Area?

isn't there still that 2 bedroom place in 3 mile lake rd outside of Katrine, its just down the road from the Bobs Way Trail !

You could slap a nice garage there I think they are asking $141,000

Nice property and finished nice inside and close to trail but has the bones of a mobile and didn't insulate properly , floor and foundation was a joke. I'm only using for the winter too so defiantly has to be insulated well.

Contact Jack Backus at Remax/Hunstville . He is the Almaguin District Snowmobile club trail boss,formerly the president for many years. He has  also been involved  with the Near North Association for many years also.He would be able to help point you in the right direction with the purchase of your vacation home.   

call Jack, no one knows the area better,

Archived