OFSC Trail Signage

Faceman

Does any club have or has any club produced a video on the OFSC signage guide. Just a short "you tube" style that is used for training purposes. It's this whole RM ,consistency thing.  

Does any club have or has any club produced a video on the OFSC signage guide. Just a short "you tube" style that is used for training purposes. It's this whole RM ,consistency thing.  

you would think that the OFSC would do that 

There you go making perfectly good sense again, stop that!

you would think that the OFSC would do that 

You woule think that. But sometimes things don't always make sense. There was an online Trail Patrol training program you could do at one time but since when they did their restructure the champion of that program was downsized the online program was dropped as well. It was already up and running. The investment of time and money to make it happen seems to have been thrown away. Nobody at OFSC has been able to tell me why they wouldn't have kept something going that was already working.

Obvioulsy there is a reason but those I have asked at the OFSC don't seem to know. So I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a signage video. Thier budget is tight we know that.

Awesome idea Faceman. Something simple and to the point would be very beneficial. Goodness knows there is still a lot of inconsistency in signage even though it has stayed pretty consistent in the last 8-10 years.

I remember seeing a pdf showing the sign layout. It showed how many meters from access and other signs, etc. I will have to dig it out from the computer archives.

Ah, one of my favourite topics....

Last fall we used the OFSC PowerPoint presentation and for a review, put together a slide show of bad examples from our District and asked volunteers to describe the corrective action necessary. Actually took the time to Paint out any identifying info on the signs and replace with fictional names/trail numbers. (Did this so no club would feel like we were picking on them).

Didn't seem to help, as many of the "bad" examples we showed were still around this winter. You get certain guys attending the training, but they are not always the ones responsible for doing the work. The message gets lost in translation.

I'm convinced that the only way you'll get consistency is if you have a Signage committee or team responsible for the District, or if not practical, specific areas.

Let me know if I can help you out.

....many of the "bad" examples we showed were still around this winter. You get certain guys attending the training, but they are not always the ones responsible for doing the work. The message gets lost in translation.

.................... the only way you'll get consistency is if you have a Signage committee or team responsible for the District............

Maybe you could use this example in your "spot the signage error" training sessions......click to enlarge...

post-19713-0-77355200-1430159519_thumb.j

or use it as a clever tourist phrase to lure our American friends to visit.....

I am thinking a short 5 or 7 minute you tube vid would really work well. D9 has a signage/inspection team and started trail on training. The previous process although well produced and well received was not cutting in ( with the utmost respect to the coordinators and presenters) The last couple of years has been better with hands on training but there is still the group of volunteers set in their ways.

You woule think that. But sometimes things don't always make sense. There was an online Trail Patrol training program you could do at one time but since when they did their restructure the champion of that program was downsized the online program was dropped as well. It was already up and running. The investment of time and money to make it happen seems to have been thrown away. Nobody at OFSC has been able to tell me why they wouldn't have kept something going that was already working.

Obvioulsy there is a reason but those I have asked at the OFSC don't seem to know. So I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a signage video. Thier budget is tight we know that.

Yet, they want to put driver training online :wtf:

Didn't they already have a video or something online aimed at riders other than the kids getting their licence.

Maybe you could use this example in your "spot the signage error" training sessions......click to enlarge...

attachicon.gifa trail kapuskasing.JPG

or use it as a clever tourist phrase to lure our American friends to visit.....

Good one! Cracked me up.

Didn't they already have a video or something online aimed at riders other than the kids getting their licence.

Yes.  But what they are trying to bring in is an online test for the snowmobile Driver's License (For 12 + Year olds)  They figure it would be like the boating license.

Yes.  But what they are trying to bring in is an online test for the snowmobile Driver's License (For 12 + Year olds)  They figure it would be like the boating license.

I can see the desire especially since they have to be 12 at the time of the course and show proof. I feel for the kids that only have one course in their area say Jan 4 and their birthday isn't until Jan 8. They are between a rock and a hard place. The in person course is pretty robust from what I understand. Basically a full day. That may be a tough one to monitor / manage online and avoid cheating. I know people who have had other family members do the online boating course for them.

It's not so much a want to as it is a have too Dave, the boat license people have been courting the MTO into allowing them to to start administering snowmobile licensing. If we as sledders want to keep the connection between new riders and organised sledding we have to beat them to the punch and make sure we hold on to it, rather then give it away to a for profit company with no ties to organized sledding.  

I know people who have had other family members do the online boating course for them.

I was asked this by a friend  when I did my test.

It's not so much a want to as it is a have too Dave, the boat license people have been courting the MTO into allowing them to to start administering snowmobile licensing. If we as sledders want to keep the connection between new riders and organised sledding we have to beat them to the punch and make sure we hold on to it, rather then give it away to a for profit company with no ties to organized sledding.  

Glad to hear this Rick. I'm pretty sure the online boat test has more faked licences that "real" ones. 

To the pencil pushers (especially the non-sledders) the online version probably sounds wonderful, "We do all sorts of training online" will be their reasoning. I bet the kids absorb more if the course is in an actual "classroom".

We have a boater at our marina who did the boaters test,got her licence and then drove her boat out of the marina.She hit 3 other boats on the way out and they were tied in their slips.Can't fix stupid.(but it has been legislated)

I haven't done the course. I obtained a Federal Harbour licence long long ago so was exempt when this came in. When I got my licence it required an on water test as well. My wife just did her online course (Boater Exam) and it was painful. The narrator for the course spoke so terribly slow it would put anyone to sleep. There were all kinds of questions about things that she will never encounter but they were there regardless. To some extent I understand this since they don't know where you will be boating. One of the ones that surprised me was about calculating fuel for a trip. The answer 1/3 for the trip out 1/3 for the trip back and 1/3 in reserve. How many people know how far their boat will go on a tank of fuel. I can take a pretty good guess on running time but that will vary greatly based on speed and conditions. Then there were some obscure things about the actual name assigned to a marker buoy. They showed the buoy and rather than ask you what it is used for they asked you what the name of it was. Isn't that great....You know that it's a bifurcation buoy but you don't know what it means.

part1-14-0001.gif

I took the Power Squadron course and it was very informative in all manners of boating.I hope that the boaters test is not so lacking that people pass the test but don't know the names of buoys or what they mean.

No driving tests are required and they don't explain boat handling.

I haven't done the course. I obtained a Federal Harbour licence long long ago so was exempt when this came in. When I got my licence it required an on water test as well. My wife just did her online course (Boater Exam) and it was painful. The narrator for the course spoke so terribly slow it would put anyone to sleep. There were all kinds of questions about things that she will never encounter but they were there regardless. To some extent I understand this since they don't know where you will be boating. One of the ones that surprised me was about calculating fuel for a trip. The answer 1/3 for the trip out 1/3 for the trip back and 1/3 in reserve. How many people know how far their boat will go on a tank of fuel. I can take a pretty good guess on running time but that will vary greatly based on speed and conditions. Then there were some obscure things about the actual name assigned to a marker buoy. They showed the buoy and rather than ask you what it is used for they asked you what the name of it was. Isn't that great....You know that it's a bifurcation buoy but you don't know what it means.

part1-14-0001.gif

I can tell you my boat wont make it out to Beausolei on 15 litres of gas...

Miss Midland didnt like me that day.........

I still think it is a crock, and a dangerous idea!  I expect that many of the kids will either have someone else pass the course, or otherwise cheat, or will not retain anything for 5 minutes after they have passed.  You can only learn something from an online course if you truly want to learn, and I don't believe the majority of students will fall in that category.

I'm on Chandos once a summer, probably every other year. The only markers you'l see on the lake are where the rocks are. Lot's of boaters across the province that will never be on the Trent Severn or Rideau canals.

I still think it is a crock, and a dangerous idea!  I expect that many of the kids will either have someone else pass the course, or otherwise cheat, or will not retain anything for 5 minutes after they have passed.  You can only learn something from an online course if you truly want to learn, and I don't believe the majority of students will fall in that category.

I know online courses are the in thing but I guess I am old fashioned. I know I get a whole lot more out of an instructor led program than online. In an instructor led program I can have a two way dialogue to explain something I am not understanding. Try that online.

I'm on Chandos once a summer, probably every other year. The only markers you'l see on the lake are where the rocks are. Lot's of boaters across the province that will never be on the Trent Severn or Rideau canals.

I agree... by the way a bifurcation buoy indicates a split in the channel. The test doesn't ask you that... just what is the buoy in the picture called.

The OFSC Trail Signage Guide is actually quite straightforward.

The most difficult one is when to install a SLOW sign because it is subject to interpretation rather than most of the other signs which are quite specific as to when and where they are installed.

Archived