Freeriding!

Baylaker

I'm takin a break from trail riding and I think I might try some freeriding. I have a few questions, I'm wondering where in Ontario I can go without trespassing. I know it's pretty much all private property south of Barrie.

Are there any hydro lines or crown land around in the muskoka area? I know there's a crap load of crown land WAY up north but I don't want to drive 6-10hrs to find crown land or hydro lines.

I'm just trying to find some spots to ride for next year. Anybody know of any legal riding areas?

Thanks guys!

Great tool Aaron. I've been looking  at it and you really need to drill down it seems. Not all crown land is available for anything you want to do. There are lots of restrictions.

For almost all of the crown land north of Orillia the use is restricted. The area is identified as C30 and each area has its' own regulations. It seems that for camping on crown land you also need a permit. Didn't know that one.

Snowmobiling, Off Trails No Except for the direct retrieval of game. Snowmobiling, On Trails Yes Existing use permitted to continue where it does not adversely affect the values being protected.

http://www.giscoeapp.lrc.gov.on.ca/services/MNR/NHLUPS/CLUPA/xmlReader.aspx?xsl=web-primary.xsl&type=primary&POLICY_IDENT=C30

Yes I've also been looking at that map and been wondering the same. Mitig.ca supposedly has some good maps that you have to buy. I could probably call the head office in Huntsville and find out some info.

There's lots of places to boondock, just need to find em. And the people who do know about them tend to keep their mouths closed about them. Kinda like your favorite fishing hole! Lol

So what about hydro lines? Are they legal to ride? I know lots of guys do, but have also heard law enforcement will be there waiting for you when you get back...

I also know there was talk about ofsc having to pay hydro company for trails being used on the power line property...so not sure if that means it's private property.

So what about hydro lines? Are they legal to ride? I know lots of guys do, but have also heard law enforcement will be there waiting for you when you get back...

I've been told it depends on where they are. Some yes some know. If you recall at the beginning of the season there was a lot of controversy around the existing trails along hydro lines (in particular around Barrie) and north being shut down due to liability concerns. It seems that many of the hydro lines are also on lands that hydro actually either has control of our owns and are not simply crown land. Good luck with the research. Each of the areas I check as I go through the map moving further and further north say no to snowmobiling other than existing snowmobile trails.

I'm guessing that a lot of the off trail people are doing and thinking is legal really isn't. More the land owner just doesn't catch them or know about it.

Many of our pipelines and hydro lines are in fact on private property and we have LUP's for our trails.

It is a popular misconception that utilities are either on Crown Land or land owned by the utility, especially if there is an OFSC trail existing there.

Ya I think a lot of guys think they are ok to be riding where they ride but they are probably trespassing.

Many of our pipelines and hydro lines are in fact on private property and we have LUP's for our trails.

It is a popular misconception that utilities are either on Crown Land or land owned by the utility, especially if there is an OFSC trail existing there.

In our area Southwest Muskoka the Hydro Corridors are owned by the Ontario Realtors Corp. They lease the land to Hydro one. We require a land use agreement.

Most of the land owned by the crown in Muskoka has restrictions of use on them.

I figured that...anything maybe a little further than muskoka area? I have 2 good places to ride down south here, one at my buddies uncles and the other one is on a river with lots of snow! But I'm just looking for a few new areas to maybe ride without going too far...same riding areas can get boring after a while. Lol

I would think you will be hard pressed to find available crown land to free ride on South of Sudbury without needing to access an OFSC prescribed trail.

I was afraid to hear that, but not surprised!

lots of legal riding areas here in the skokes , just need to know where as you said BL, been boondocking for years ,i put a pass on my sled to get to my fav spots , send me a pm next dec and i could give you a few  maps 

I've been sitting on the couch waiting for you to chime in! Lol. JK. That would be sweet! Thanks muskoka man! Ill definitely be in touch with you when the time comes. Thanks again buddy!

we put in about 1500 ks off off trail and 1500 on trail this winter , it was for sure a good season for off trail this winter 

Very nice! I know a place or 2 at my cottage where I can freeride, but I don't want to travel 3-3.5hrs just for a day. I don't mind 1.5-2hrs drive time though.

Are there any spots where I wouldn't need a OFSC pass to get to? If there's lots of areas I may consider buying a pass in 2-3 years. But definitely taking a break next season.

kind of hard to get to all the good ones without jumping on a trail for abit ,my off trail is a vintage that is light and fast ,i only neeed the vintage tag for it , keep the vector for the trail 

Good point, I'm actually building a 1990 yamaha XLV 540 right now. It has the leaf springs, so it's vintage! Lol I'm putting a 144" in it, venture skid, nytro seat, lots of good stuff!

I honestly thought you were riding off trail with your vector! Vintage Is so much fun! And they are cheap!!!

Vector in the fluff , to old for that , got a long track scandic with a 1,25 track and ski skins , goes anywhere and cheap to run . more fun actually than the trail riding , dont have to wait for grooming or any buisness , im off trail riding while they are still packing and signing 

Thats the way I see it! Vintage sleds are cheap even after they've been modified! Lol, And your right, while the groomer is out packing we're out riding...usually from the first snow that hits the ground until i can't ride anymore, and trails are usually closed long before that anyways.

Archived