Haliburton Forest .. thread #2

infernobuster

Since the other thread has been derailed  ...

Went up to the forest today for a ride. Suprisingly good conditions once you get away from base camp area.

The further you go out the conditions get better, almost looked untouched. They did receive rain last night and apparently lost some of their base.

The area is expecting (potentially) up to 10 cms by monday morning .. so that should put it back in half decent shape.

The lakes apparently are still safe though the stakes have been pulled, according to locals.

If you are thinking of a last minute ride, this could be the place. Be warned that the base camp parking area is extremely muddy though.

thanks for the update; you are the second happy sledder I've read about today. I saw the forecast too... tempting...

Thanks, Infernobuster, for starting this new thread.

Something tells me I might feel like heading back to the Hali Forest tomorrow morning.....I discussed this with another OC member, but in his case, Easter Bunny duties seem to be taking precedence.

Still good trails at Hali Forest today.

Here's a video from this morning at the Haliburton Forest, showing the first - - and worst - - five minutes of my ride, starting from the Base Camp where conditions were terrible, and continuing for a few minutes to show that things improved as I got away from the start point. I should have unloaded closer to the snow covered part of the trail. As you can see from the video, the ground was frozen and icy when I set out, and I drove right up the frozen mud. When I returned from my ride, I avoided most of the mud by riding on the snow along the side of the road.

Trail conditions were generally very good, once I got about ten minutes away from the Base Camp shown in the video. The only exceptions were a few spots that can be easily avoided (particularly part of North Road). Base Camp staff will provide a marked up map if you ask.

I have more video of the rest of the ride, and might post it later if I have time.

PS: The video resolution is not the best, because I was in a bit of a hurry to get this posted on Youtube. Maybe I'll make my next video shorter so I can use a higher resolution....

At least you have the place to yourself to avoid the bare spots! Hope they didn't charge you full price!

You are a true die hard Blake.... what are you going to do when you finally park the sled for the summer?

good for you for makin the ride,guess your gonna have to pull bike out for next ride

Way to go, Blake. Glad the conditions improved as you got into the forest.

Hope they didn't charge you full price!

Best fifty bucks I've spent in a week week. LOL

After I got away from the Base Camp, there were miles of trails in good shape.

At least you have the place to yourself to avoid the bare spots!

You are right: there was not much traffic while I was there. At one point I caught up to a rider on an 800 Skidoo trying to follow another fellow on a 600 Polaris, and rode with them for a few minutes. Turns out they were local guys. I appreciated that they let me ride with them for awhile.

Wow nice video Blake ,now i want to ride again! Sled is put away and motorcycle is out.Now im thinking sleds again :rolleyes:

Wynnebag is coming out with her carbon tax.... Got a feeling Blake will be hit harder than most since he gets to ride so much, summer and winter. Lucky $%^&

Carbox tax on fuel?

Next year I will go thru the us and put my skid gas tank in back of pickup. Will fill it while traveling through along with the truck and sleds. Can go right to dub via the soo and day trip out of there. Come back at night and refuel. I could save approx 300 bucks on a trip including truck and sled fuel for a week. Then on way back fill the tank again and use it in Ontario for the next month.

The province is poised to launch the initial carbon tax for Ontario. It is referred to as cap & trade for emission producers

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/letters/april-6-cap-and-trade-theres-a-better-way-ontario-and-other-letters-to-the-editor/article23790931/

You run a business you buy a permit from the province based on carbon emissions. You don't use all the capacity on your permit you can sell it to someone else who is perhaps producing emissions over the permit levels they acquired. The province will deny it but it is a tax on business.

Based upon Wynnebags meetings with the premier of Quebec the predictions are that the carbon tax at the pump for fuel won't be far behind. They want to discourage you from burning as much fuel as you do today.

The province is poised to launch the initial carbon tax for Ontario. It is referred to as cap & trade for emission producers

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/letters/april-6-cap-and-trade-theres-a-better-way-ontario-and-other-letters-to-the-editor/article23790931/

You run a business you buy a permit from the province based on carbon emissions. You don't use all the capacity on your permit you can sell it to someone else who is perhaps producing emissions over the permit levels they acquired. The province will deny it but it is a tax on business.

Based upon Wynnebags meetings with the premier of Quebec the predictions are that the carbon tax at the pump for fuel won't be far behind. They want to discourage you from burning as much fuel as you do today.

There won;t be anyone left in Ontario when she is up for re-election. 

There won;t be anyone left in Ontario when she is up for re-election. 

Yes there will... you will be here if you are Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgendered

Good to see you took advantage of the forest one more time Blake .. looks like ALOT of rain headed for us for Thurs and Friday which will take away everything up there.

Lets keep this thread on track fellas .. 

Good to see you took advantage of the forest one more time Blake .. looks like ALOT of rain headed for us for Thurs and Friday which will take away everything up there.

Lets keep this thread on track fellas ..

Winter is over anyways, except for the far north. Just wish the forest did honest trail reports, not sugar coat it. Maybe they would get more riders coming out if they took this route!

Here's another video from yesterday (Sunday). I have no complaints about the "spring condtion" trails.

I noticed something funny, though: the people at the Base Camp explained which trails should be avoided, yet the sledders I was following chose to ride right through the muddy section. The same thing happened when I was there on Wednesday. Both days I went ahead and followed the leaders, because I didn't want to be sledding by myself. We encountered some bare ground that could have easily been avoided by taking the staff advice - - the only really terrible portion is on North Road, about 1 or 2 kilometres from Base Camp. Otherwise, most of the trails had no bare patches, and a few trails had bare patches on south facing slopes. As the desk staff stated, the north east portion of the forest had the best condtions.

Here's another video from yesterday (Sunday). I have no complaints about the trails on Sunday.

Funny, though: the people at the Base Camp explained which trails should be avoided, yet the sledders I was following chose to ride right through the muddy section. The same thing happened when I was there on Wednesday. Both days I went ahead and followed the leaders, because I didn't want to be sledding by myself.

funny...that's why I do sled often by myself - so I can make my own calls on where I go and don't. But that's just me...

Thanks for posting Blake. I will definitely be keeping HF in mind for next year's late season sledding - I just hope their website reports keep getting more detailed and accurate on conditions. JMTC.

I went up to The Forest again today, and saw no other sleds. Almost eerie being in there by myself. I rode all over the place and avoided most of the mud.

Something else was rather eerie. I was the only customer when I stopped in at the Cookhouse Restaurant for a bite to eat.

post-22473-0-92708000-1428374127_thumb.jpg

On today's menu was an excellent bacon cheese burger (like Nunz had last month)

post-22473-0-07746200-1428373919_thumb.jpg

and I finally got to actually eat their apple crisp and ice cream. Delicious.

post-22473-0-84801100-1428373938_thumb.jpg

That would be eerie. Very cool 'tho.

Go Forrest Go. lol

You're late season adventures are an inspiration.

Great videos Blake, I think I might be taking a trip to the HWF for a burger very soon.... Already looking forward to next season... Glad to see you are still out there riding....

Archived