Analysis of Club Trail Permits

bbakernbay

Just looked over our Club's tallies for OFSC Trail Permits for this season.

74% sold Online, 26% by Club Sellers.

Early, Early @ $180 = 53% of Total Sold

Early @ $210 = 12%

Regular @ $260 = 9%

Early Classic @ $140 = 12%

Classic @ $170 = 5%

3 Day = 6%

7 Day = 1%

Let the Discussion begin.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't heard the province wide totals yet.

I don't think our Club total adds to the discussion on whether the current fee structure is putting sufficient dollars on the trails.

I believe our total is sufficient to make the percentages fairly realistic across the province.

Early @ $210 = 12%

Regular @ $260 = 9%

Classic @ $170 = 5%

3 Day = 6%

7 Day = 1%

For our Club 55% sold on line, 45% by Club

$180    44%        (33% last year)

$210    17%        (25% last year)

$260    14%        (14% last year)

$140    20%        (16% last year)

$170      5%        (12% last year)

3/7 Day                not material

Total Seasonal & Classics Permits +11%, Total Permit Revenue + 7.0%  (Seasonal Permit Rev +12%, Classic Rev -6%)

Overall Participation is up and Revenue is up.

Brian, is your Permit Revenue up or down?

Early @ $210 = 12%

Regular @ $260 = 9%

Classic @ $170 = 5%

3 Day = 6%

7 Day = 1%

98% total unless I added wrong. I'm surprised by the 3-day permit.

For our Club 55% sold on line, 45% by Club

$180    44%        (33% last year)

$210    17%        (25% last year)

$260    14%        (14% last year)

$140    20%        (16% last year)

$170      5%        (12% last year)

3/7 Day                not material

Total Seasonal & Classics Permits +11%, Total Permit Revenue + 7.0%  (Seasonal Permit Rev +12%, Classic Rev -6%)

Overall Participation is up and Revenue is up.

Brian, is your Permit Revenue up or down?

More cheap bastards in your area riding classic sleds.

I was surprised our Classic percentage was only 17%, I was expecting around 25% similar to Big Pete's Club.

2% error was due to decimal rounding.

Only 9% at full pop of $260 was lower than I expected but confirms either that FFC was correct in their research that $200 is maximum people will pay or most of the real riders are now conditioned to pony up early and achieve the big discount of $$72.50 off the after Dec 1st regular price of $260.

More cheap bastards in your area riding classic sleds.

was not aware that unless you own a newer sled that means your cheap?? that attitude sure is not welcoming...

was not aware that unless you own a newer sled that means your cheap?? that attitude sure is not welcoming...

I bet he is joking because it made me laugh out of my chair.

Several times I have read that $200 was determined to be a threshold price, above which people are reluctant to buy. If that is the case, then why would the Super Early price have been set at $180 rather than something like $199 or $195?

then why would the Super Early price have been set at $180 rather than something like $199 or $195?

Quiet please

I ride a '98 XC700. So ya, I was joking. And have three vintage Mercurys.

I ride a '98 XC700. So ya, I was joking. And have three vintage Mercurys.

That just makes you cheap too.... sorry... just couldn't resist. It was too easy.

Big Pete is correct.

I should have disregarded 3 & 7 Day Permits as being immaterial as he did.

This would increase percentage of $187.50, $140 & $170 Permits and in my opinion show that we may be discounting our product too heavily as the average return on a Permit continues to decline with more people buying earlier.

Some people argue that this is offset by selling more permits at a cheaper price and this looks to be true to a degree.

The last two winters have been relatively long and the majority of the province was grooming so our collective expenses are much higher than average so I doubt whether this can be sustained.

Continuing with the same price next season has been approved so it is likely to get worse.

Only saving grace is lower diesel prices.

I will stir the pot a little if that's all right? I have said this for yrs,and have heard all the pros & cons but will put it out there again!

Screw all this bs with early price,classic price all of it ! One price , say $200.00 for all sleds with license renewal period.

Brings money to clubs all year long!!

Flame on,I can take it!!

We had 247 Try Our Trails No Cost Permits this year.

How to convert those is the question.

Firstly, I think we need to END this program as it has served its purpose.

That will create some additional sales for sure.

It is unwise to have it every year.

Seen a lot of new iron on the trails this year.  Chatting with my dealer at sled show in Barrie yesterday tells me sleds sales are good. I still have trouble believing lower trail permit prices are the answer...

It's amazing how people will spend lots of cash on one thing and then cheap out on something related to it. I have seen people with 30 ft and up boats in at the Chandlery looking for a wax/polish for their expensive boat and they complain about the cost of a quality marine polish/wax and cheap out. $150K or more on a boat and they buy the $10 polish rather than $25. As if the extra $15 will break the bank.

It's amazing how people will spend lots of cash on one thing and then cheap out on something related to it. I have seen people with 30 ft and up boats in at the Chandlery looking for a wax/polish for their expensive boat and they complain about the cost of a quality marine polish/wax and cheap out. $150K or more on a boat and they buy the $10 polish rather than $25. As if the extra $15 will break the bank.

I totally agree. And I also understand that this sport we enjoy SOO darn much, is not a cheap sport anymore. But I also recognize that nothing in life is free, and we all need to pay and support the trails and clubs....

I will stir the pot a little if that's all right? I have said this for yrs,and have heard all the pros & cons but will put it out there again!

Screw all this bs with early price,classic price all of it ! One price , say $200.00 for all sleds with license renewal period.

Brings money to clubs all year long!!

Flame on,I can take it!!

No flames, but I will add my 2 cents, which has garnered me some flames more than once... I don't use OFSC trails. I use my sled exclusively to fish, hunt and go to my camp. I'd rather not pay for a permit I cannot and will not use. There are more of us out there than you think. We are not freeloaders, because we're not using the trails.

No flames, but I will add my 2 cents, which has garnered me some flames more than once... I don't use OFSC trails. I use my sled exclusively to fish, hunt and go to my camp. I'd rather not pay for a permit I cannot and will not use. There are more of us out there than you think. We are not freeloaders, because we're not using the trails.

I hope this doesn't sound too harsh but,I Don't Care!!

I don't have kids,and I pay school tax,I'd rather not pay for something I don't use! There are more of us out there than you think.

In Canada we all pay for things we don't use!!

I hope this doesn't sound too harsh but,I Don't Care!!

I don't have kids,and I pay school tax,I'd rather not pay for something I don't use! There are more of us out there than you think.

In Canada we all pay for things we don't use!!

Hey... that's my line. We are all paying for the Pan Am games. My goal is to get out of town while they are on.  I will never use any of the facilities that are seeing millions of tax payer money poured into Hardwood Hills Mountain Bike Park and Caledon Equestrian Centre. Plus there is a shooting range. All paid for with tax dollars... However Bucking Pig justifies that by saying everyone pays into it while it would only be snowmobile owners paying into the blended val tag trail permit. But then again he already gets a free val tag. You and I pay for his free val tag but he is okay with that.

Archived