Trespassing and Trail Loss

Nith Valley Sledder

Here is a link to an article concerning our local trail but it is a province wide issue. The farmer mentioned was ready to close the trail across his property the other week. It hasn't happened yet but next year is a very real possibility if people refuse to stay on the trail. Next year it will be winter wheat and new alfalfa that gets damaged.

http://www.newhamburgindependent.ca/community/farmers-and-snowmobile-clubs-urge-users-to-stick-to-the-trails/

I've seen tracks everywhere this year! It's the same thing every year, and people wonder why trails close...it's all the guys who wanna take shortcuts in order to travel further in a shorter time just so they can say they did 500km in a half day...

To much of the me me me mentality out there

When I was out grooming I caught myself following the off trail tracks and spun it around then got between the sticks.

When I was out grooming I caught myself following the off trail tracks and spun it around then got between the sticks.

That can happen pretty quick especially before you get familiar with the trail. Part of the job. Don't get stressed over it.

Here is a link to an article concerning our local trail but it is a province wide issue. The farmer mentioned was ready to close the trail across his property the other week. It hasn't happened yet but next year is a very real possibility if people refuse to stay on the trail. Next year it will be winter wheat and new alfalfa that gets damaged.

http://www.newhamburgindependent.ca/community/farmers-and-snowmobile-clubs-urge-users-to-stick-to-the-trails/

Good thread with very important info. To bad you are probably  preaching to the choir. The trespassing brain dead asshats don't take it seriously and are going to ruin it for the majority of us. Good luck with the damage control.

Not fond of suggesting more expense or labour, but it might be helpful to post large signs at these spots explaining in point form that off trail sleds cause damage to crops. Saw something similar in Prince Edward County this winter. Most people these days have no idea about farming and the concept of planting before the snowfall and growth in the spring is beyond the comprehension of many - I admit to some confusion about this myself at first.

Maybe some cost savings involved if many clubs can get the signs as one purchase. Other than that, maybe a bulk purchase of tree or post mounted game hunting cameras.

Saw signs such as :  Stay on trail winter wheat          Stay on trail plantation area      Stay on trail sensitive crop   They were all regular size signs such as "slow" .   Also signage such as :   Stay on trail or we won't have a trail   or   Stay on trail or permission revoked      may actually get through some heads.  But that is a big MAYBE.

This summer we will be putting up some gates so the landowner has the capability to close the trail next year. This will eliminate the possibility of the sleds being able to use his property even if the trails are closed. Right now they would just continue to trespass to get to the open sections. I've talked to some of the people in the subdivision that leave from their backyard and cut across his field but they apologize and to again the next day.

must agree...it was crazy how many tracks were off trail....I think some of the go where ever you want would be alittle less if trails were stalked out alittle diffrently , especially around corners by fields...I mentioned this last year that when putting in trails on fields that when you go right to the corner then turn at a 90, you know when in the first weekend people will cut the corner...as weekends continue the corner gets wider and wider.....not sure of the exact process but I am guessing that clubs go out with land owners and owners show club where its ok to have trail...would a club ever suggest not to be so tight in corners because eventually everyone will cut the corner anyway?...I know some guys last year said you can't tell the owner that people may tresspass so its better to have the trail here....it would think however its better to be upfront and honest so there are no surprises...

I'm from the same area and saw massive off trail marks this year, more than ever before.   Also before the trails were open saw guys riding them all day.   

I think its a monkey see monkey do scenario.   Soon as one asshat goes off trail it seems to become the new trail for all other idiots.

Its unfortunate going stupid fast and cutting corners seems to be more fun for idiots than learning how to take corners properly, (which is actually more fun once you are a good rider 'take notes idiots, there should be a test!').

If you remove all the sharp corners you remove lots of the fun.  

Everyone who buys a pass should spend 4-8 hours with club volunteer staking or talking with landowners at least once in their lifetime or every year.  

You could force everyone getting a pass to attend one meeting with the landowners, asshats really need to hear the landowners speak.

It took me just a couple hours putting in stakes on a local trail to gain a massive respect for the sport and the landowners.  

The off trail idiots disgust me now as I know I will eventually lose my local trails.

This summer we will be putting up some gates so the landowner has the capability to close the trail next year. This will eliminate the possibility of the sleds being able to use his property even if the trails are closed. Right now they would just continue to trespass to get to the open sections. I've talked to some of the people in the subdivision that leave from their backyard and cut across his field but they apologize and to again the next day.

All the offenders will do is cut the gates open

All the offenders will do is cut the gates open

So what is the solution? Remove the trail altogether? There was a highway beat down the field beside our lane this winter from people either taking a shortcut to fuel or accessing their homes. These fields will be winter wheat next fall and are owned by 2 different farmers. One farmer is the landowner that hosts the current trail. If he sees tracks next winter the trail will be shut down. This trail will be almost impossible to re-route around Baden. Farmer #2 only has the one field and is not involved with our club's trails. He does however own/control about 1500 acres south of us in the New Dundee area. Upsetting him will affect those trails.

That can happen pretty quick especially before you get familiar with the trail. Part of the job. Don't get stressed over it.

Don't have to worry about stress.

Archived