12 year old sledder killed near Mattawa

Blake G

From northernlife.ca:

"A 12-year-old boy was killed when crossing the highway near Mattawa Sunday, said the Ontario Provincial Police.

The boy, identified as Bailey Matte-Edmonds, was hit by a northbound vehicle on Highway 630 at Peddlers Drive in Calvin Township, said police. The collision happened just after 4 p.m.

Police said as the vehicle was travelling on the highway, the snowmobile came from a field beside the highway and drove in front of the vehicle.

The young snowmobiler was airlifted to hospital with life-threatening injuries. He died as a result of his injuries.

Members of the Technical Traffic Collision Investigations unit and Calvin Fire Department attended the scene."

RIP, such a shame....my condolences to his family....Too young to go like this...

Very sorry to hear this. RIP and condolences to the family and friends.

very very very sad...

So sad, condolences to all that knew him.  RIP.  Hope there's no blowback or bad publicity.

Coming home today on rail trail south of port Elgin - there was a helmet and jersey hanging at the intersection where the young man lost his life a couple weeks back (contact with car). Very disturbing when approaching you think it's a person on the side of the trail - then realize it's just an an fxr jersey and helmet on a post. Made me really think of my son.

Coming home today on rail trail south of port Elgin - there was a helmet and jersey hanging at the intersection where the young man lost his life a couple weeks back (contact with car). Very disturbing when approaching you think it's a person on the side of the trail - then realize it's just an an fxr jersey and helmet on a post. Made me really think of my son.

That story shakes me up.

So sad. My condolences to family and friends. R.I.P.

Very, very sad.  As WB said, I cannot imagine the pain for the family.

Teach your children well. 

So tragic, so sad. Condolences to the family AND to the driver of the vehicle.

Preventable?  Possibly. S.T.O.P. patrol here stopped a 12 year old on the weekend, with a SVOP, on the trail, on a sled with no permit, miles from home and he had to have crossed at least 3 roads to get where he was.

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

Archived