French River Lodging

KW Mike

Hey guys,

Looking for some info on a place to stay close to the French River Trading Post or area. Leaving my cottage in Magnetawan and would like to stay overnight in the area.

Guys I am riding with are a little fussy on where they stay. For some reason they can't understand it's in the middle of nowhere and think there should be a Weston Hotel right on the

trail just  waiting for us.

Also any comment on how C trail is.

Really looking forward to crossing the bridges. 

Thanks Mike

Owls Nest is tried and true and its central. Not far from the bridges  That would be my first choice

Don't think the Owl's Nest is open for winter anymore, unless for longer stays like a week. Think Rich is up sledding around Elliot Lake right not anyway if I remember a few posts here. Certainly try there - by reservation only.

You mentioned French River Trading post - it is closed for winter, but the motel next to it should still be open - not sure of the name of it Google Map street view might help. Edit: Got curious so looked it up - the French River Inn - at least it says so on the sign - just south of the French River Trading post - on highway 69..

post-19713-0-04654800-1424949690_thumb.j

post-19713-0-57304900-1424950280_thumb.j

The Cedar Village, on the south end of the Pickeral River bridge is probably closed for the winter, although I remember someone saying it might be open? The former Yesterday's Resort, is now called On The French - reviews of the establishment under the old name were poor and might not have improved.

Also there is this place in the area - not been here myself, but STG was kind enough to send me a link:

http://www.thebeauinn.com/motel.php

Check revrnd's motel database for French River, Alban, Noelville. Certainly not the area to have fussy tastes in accomodation winter time.

Another way to see the bridges might be to come from Port Loring - the trail from there to highway 69 and north is very scenic and an easy daytrip from there. Accomodation in that area might be more to your friends' liking.

French River Inn next door to the French River Trading Post and on C trail, nothing fancy, next would  be the Beausejour Inn in Alban again just off the C trail, great wings and next would be the Countryside Motor Inn in Noelville.

Hey guys thanks for the info,

we have decided to go to Sudbury for the night, might be a bit of a long day for us as we are not high milers but what the hell.

looks like a little over 200 miles from the cottage to hotel. Definitely doable and it will be a first trip north for us from C & C104D junction. 

Can't wait, leaving Tuesday morning so not expecting any traffic and hopefully we see some freshly groomed trails.

Mike

next would  be the Beausejour Inn in Alban again just off the C trail, great wings and next would be the Countryside Motor Inn in Noelville.

I was past both of them last fall & they looked OK. The French River Inn is just off TOP C.

Stayed at the Beausejour Inn in Alban a few weeks ago.  Room was good.  No washrooms working in the resturant.

BP

I see that OP is staying in Sudbury, but want to throw out the PORT LORING option. We stayed at Tornado's Resort in Port Loring. Huge cottage for our group of 5. Meal plan meant all we had to do was walk 20 metres to the main lodge for dinner (arrival) and breakfast (departure). We enjoyed it and online reviews are positive  http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g499291-d4256929-Reviews-Tornado_s_Canadian_Resorts-Port_Loring_Northeastern_Ontario_Ontario.html

Port Loring is not a high mileage "Day 1" for your tour, but is halfway between Magnetawan and the bridges.

Sudbury's an excellent choice for a longer trip - but make sure that you map out Sudbury "proper". It's one of those cities that you see from afar as you approach on snowmobile, but then seem to circle, and circle to get to your hotel. Great day loops as well out of Sudbury! Enjoy.

Thanks for the info everyone,

We want to try the C, never been over there, saving Port Loring for a North Bay run, hopefully later this year.

Anyone know the fuel stops along the way.

Point au Beril & Britt show fuel on the map but not sure if they are open. I know there is fuel at the trading post but as Slomo mention the post being closed not sure if the gas station is as well.

Also nothing on the map for Alban but i am sure there is gas somewhere there, just hoping we can get to it by sled.

We are a go anyway and I hope we can make the next fuel stop.

Everything is ready but have to work Sunday then on the road at 5 Monday morning.

Cant wait. 

Mike

Pointe Au Baril is a Shell station right on the highway & is an LCBO agency store.

St Amants is the gas in Britt, 

Thanks for the info everyone,

We want to try the C, never been over there, saving Port Loring for a North Bay run, hopefully later this year.

Anyone know the fuel stops along the way.

Point au Beril & Britt show fuel on the map but not sure if they are open. I know there is fuel at the trading post but as Slomo mention the post being closed not sure if the gas station is as well.

Also nothing on the map for Alban but i am sure there is gas somewhere there, just hoping we can get to it by sled.

We are a go anyway and I hope we can make the next fuel stop.

Everything is ready but have to work Sunday then on the road at 5 Monday morning.

Cant wait. 

Mike

There is no gas available in Alban or the French River Inn/Trading Post, next available gas heading north on C is at Estaire.

There is gas available at an Indian Reverse south of the Pickeral River but the trail is not marked (just a beaten path off C) and you have to cross 4 lanes of highway to get to it.

Haven't checked the mileage between Estaire and Britt but they are your only real options, Noelville has gas but that is kind out of the way if your headed to Sudbury.

Kaz

There is gas available at an Indian Reserve south of the Pickeral River but the trail is not marked (just a beaten path off C) and you have to cross 4 lanes of highway to get to it.

Haven't checked the mileage between Estaire and Britt but they are your only real options, Noelville has gas but that is kind out of the way if your headed to Sudbury.

Kaz

The stretch of highway in question is not a divided highway (no median). There is a passing lane in each direction.

Hey guys,

Looking for some info on a place to stay close to the French River Trading Post or area. Leaving my cottage in Magnetawan and would like to stay overnight in the area.

Guys I am riding with are a little fussy on where they stay. For some reason they can't understand it's in the middle of nowhere and think there should be a Weston Hotel right on the

trail just  waiting for us.

Also any comment on how C trail is.

Really looking forward to crossing the bridges. 

Thanks Mike

Groomers are running steady, all reports are all great,  I just got home, sorry about that but the snow is great & the BRs are going strong.

I will be around if you need any help. text 705 562 0298

( cant leave, sled is in echo bay in need of motor)

Thanks for the great offer Rich, I'll keep your number handy just in case. Sorry to hear about your sled, that's not good news.

Also thanks to everyone for the info, it's nice to know what to expect.

I think we will be ok with gas from Britt to Astaire.

I'll try and post some pic's when I get back.

north on Tuesday, spend the night in Sudbury  and  south on Wednesday.

well that is just fantastic.  I love smooth trails but will just be happy to ride. Haven't been out since the 14th.

I don't know if it would matter.  We rode thru there last Friday and trails were absolutely stellar!

We rode Pickerel Lake west thru Port Loring to the Beausejour (230 kms) on Friday Feb 27th.  Beausejour thru Noelville and on up to Rock Pine at Marten River for lunch, then down to Dinner Bell in Bonfield (280 kms) on Saturday Feb 28th.  Never saw a bump! Fabulous!

Even our return trip from Bonfield to Pickerel Lake (160 kms) was not that bad on Sunday Mar 1st.  Gotta love February trails!

Well the trip was fantastic. 

Parked at the Petro Can at the Seguin, rode Monday to Magnetawan, turned heat on at the cottage, headed to Sundridge and back.

Dinner at the Magnetawan Grill & Grocer. Great meal, trails were perfect made for nice first day.

Tuesday morning on the sled at 9 and of to Duck Rock for breakfast, another good meal, then a beautiful day of riding with a little snow thrown in. 

Took our time as we headed north on the C trail which was awesome. Dinner at the Beausejour Inn in Alban, great chicken wings then of to Sudbury.

Great ride until we get to Conestin and find a train blocking the trail. Luckily for us there is a group of local riders that were nice enough to lead us around town to the Moonlight Inn.

Wednesday awaken to blue skies and a perfect day back south to the trucks.

post-22280-0-15567300-1425698557_thumb.jpg

post-22280-0-62160500-1425698573_thumb.jpg

post-22280-0-17192100-1425698592_thumb.jpg

post-22280-0-75132800-1425698659_thumb.jpg

post-22280-0-12829300-1425698684_thumb.jpg

post-22280-0-76677700-1425698703_thumb.jpg

Of course props to Rich of Owls Nest who offered help if we needed it, lucky for us we didn't need it but nice from someone we have never met or visited his place.

Also props to Bill of Rousseau Road who early Monday morning got a call from my buddy who had no sliders left on his sled. Nice planning on Johns part.

Bill says bring it in and he will see what he can do.

8:45 we pull into his driveway and at 9:40 we are back on hwy 69 with new slidders installed. Hard to beat that. 

Thanks Bill we really appreciate the effort.

Thanks to all who offered info as well.

Mike

Glad to see you had a good trip.

BTDT w/ a train blocking the trail. We had to wait 15 or so minutes NE of Still River waiting for a train to clear a crossing out in the middle of nowhere.

Well the trip was fantastic. 

Parked at the Petro Can at the Seguin, rode Monday to Magnetawan, turned heat on at the cottage, headed to Sundridge and back.

Dinner at the Magnetawan Grill & Grocer. Great meal, trails were perfect made for nice first day.

Tuesday morning on the sled at 9 and of to Duck Rock for breakfast, another good meal, then a beautiful day of riding with a little snow thrown in. 

Took our time as we headed north on the C trail which was awesome. Dinner at the Beausejour Inn in Alban, great chicken wings then of to Sudbury.

Great ride until we get to Conestin and find a train blocking the trail. Luckily for us there is a group of local riders that were nice enough to lead us around town to the Moonlight Inn.

Wednesday awaken to blue skies and a perfect day back south to the trucks.

attachicon.gifDSC07120.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC07112.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC07125.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC07124.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC07131.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC07132.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC07124.JPG

Of course props to Rich of Owls Nest who offered help if we needed it, lucky for us we didn't need it but nice from someone we have never met or visited his place.

Also props to Bill of Rousseau Road who early Monday morning got a call from my buddy who had no sliders left on his sled. Nice planning on Johns part.

Bill says bring it in and he will see what he can do.

8:45 we pull into his driveway and at 9:40 we are back on hwy 69 with new slidders installed. Hard to beat that. 

Thanks Bill we really appreciate the effort.

Thanks to all who offered info as well.

Mike

Glad you had a good trip still have the toothpics that were where sliders should go lol

• 1 year later...

Edit:  My apologies for bringing up an old thread, should have started a new one.

I was wondering if the Beausejour Inn in Alban has fuel for sale?

The Google Streetview image from 2012 shows a fuel tank in the yard. I don't recall if it was still there when I was thru there in the fall of 2014. My database says they have gasoline. You may want to contact them:

http://www.thebeauinn.com/contact.php

Archived