2016 yamaha releases!

Baylaker

The new Apexes hold .8 gallon less fuel!!  I wonder if the gas mileage has improved so the range is the same???  Can't find info on that.  Looks like the seat is higher, so have they dropped the centre of gravity to compensate, I wonder as well.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sledjunk made a comment a while ago about Yamaha fuel tanks getting smaller. At that time, it was to fit in power steering.  Thanks for the update GG.

It's not about better gas mileage to my knowledge. It's because the majority of riders are likely close to gas stations - people don't 'tour' long distances, and won't feel the pain of a smaller tank. Short sighted by Yamaha imo.

Thx again, GG.

SJ and I went for a rip last Saturday 180 kms on my sled on the same tank of gas..SJ gets to go farther on a take then I can with the Apex..I think the Apex getting about 17 MPG and if the tank is 7.6 gals it gets about 200 Kms per tank and that would be a close to empty tank.I will be going out this weekend so I will check again.Thats premium gas to.So they did improve the MPG by switching in 2011 to premium gas. My 2006 Apex with the bigger tank get about 15 mpg last time I checked.

I must admit I don't know when they changed tank size.  I was just comparing it to my 08.  Good info Canuck and ApexMan  THx

The 06 07 had the largest tanks 39 lt i believe

Sledjunk made a comment a while ago about Yamaha fuel tanks getting smaller. At that time, it was to fit in power steering.  Thanks for the update GG.

It's not about better gas mileage to my knowledge. It's because the majority of riders are likely close to gas stations - people don't 'tour' long distances, and won't feel the pain of a smaller tank. Short sighted by Yamaha imo.

Thx again, GG.

so then why did they do it

so then why did they do it

Some government manadated regulation dont remember exactly but was also same year the reflectors had to be moved

how is that better

No idea government figured the vapour size was too small for capacity or something.to that effect. Must of been for safety as it certainly didn't make it lighter

Just a little fuel consumption note: My 2008 carbureted Vector shorty consistently uses a little less gas than my wife's 2012 fuel injected Vector LTX when trail riding.  Same speed same conditions, I lead and accelerate/ decelerate more than she does as she likes to keep a more even speed.  I'm talking maybe a half litre on a 20 litre fill.  Track tension and all else mechanically is pretty much the same apart from the LTX having a longer track.  I thought the FI 1049 was supposed to be better on gas.

Bon%20Air%20Motel%20in%20Timmins%20-%20s

Its well known that the carb'd Vectors are better on gas than the EFI models.

My 1200 Renegade always beat my wife's EFI vector on fuel and I out weigh her by 100 lbs. Now that I ride a ZR7000, she beats me at every fuel stop.

Just a little fuel consumption note: My 2008 carbureted Vector shorty consistently uses a little less gas than my wife's 2012 fuel injected Vector LTX when trail riding.  Same speed same conditions, I lead and accelerate/ decelerate more than she does as she likes to keep a more even speed.  I'm talking maybe a half litre on a 20 litre fill.  Track tension and all else mechanically is pretty much the same apart from the LTX having a longer track.  I thought the FI 1049 was supposed to be better on gas.

Bon%20Air%20Motel%20in%20Timmins%20-%20s

Your Wife's EfI has 130 hp which I took for a rip!!! and loved the way it went through the trails is 130 hp efi compared to your 120 hp is the difference...Time to line them up on the lake see what one is the fastest...LOL

Your Vec shorty is geared a little higher, hence better touring gas mileage.  We experience similar results.  Best mileage is from Vec shorty carbed, then 136" carbed.  The 136" are always geared lower.

I have tried and it's quite the feat.  One can always dream can't he?

Why are you guys trying to lift these things?? Any sled is heavy to lift...well maybe not an ET250 but a 400lb(dry) Axys is still 400lbs lol.

I will gladly take my 700lbs of quality...I really think taking weight out is just taking material out...which is fine to a degree but you won't be riding it after 20,000kms. Maybe that's better as it would get people back to the dealership more often...

Just noticed there is a Yamaha dealer in Innisfil right beside Royal Dist, right near where I work, stopped in there today and they have a couple of Viper's left and a couple of Apex's as well, Not that I am looking at switching brands but their pricing did seem pretty fair and don't hear a lot about them. Place is called Dewildt marine and Powersports.

Just noticed there is a Yamaha dealer in Innisfil right beside Royal Dist, right near where I work, stopped in there today and they have a couple of Viper's left and a couple of Apex's as well, Not that I am looking at switching brands but their pricing did seem pretty fair and don't hear a lot about them. Place is called Dewildt marine and Powersports.

been to royal over 100 times and never saw that. Thanks for sharing 

Yes, I believe they started in Hamiliton/Stoney Creek area on the QEW

I LOVE my APEX.  It has an engine that pulls all day long smooth as silk and is one heck of a responsive, fun machine that can't be topped.  However, it is a brick.  It should come with a huge warning sticker, do not operate in more than 6 inches of snow.

My Renegades do not impress me as much unless you want to talk about not getting stuck and being able to do stupid stuff (stupid stuff is always the fun stuff) in deep snow and still not get stuck.  On the off chance you do get it stuck you don't need the national guard to get unstuck.

Forget Yamacat.  I want to see Yamaha put that engine in a Renegade minus about 125 pounds and then we'll be talking. 

Is that north of bush company and closer to hwy 60?

Is that north of bush company and closer to hwy 60?

No, you are thinking of the old Yamaha dealer at 35 and 60 which was called "The Beacon". The new dealer is right beside the old Boiler Room which is now called The Bush Company. It is approx. 1/2 a kilometer past the old "Beacon" on 35. 

Archived