STAY TO THE RIGHT!!!!!

Kerry

Why is it some people cannot stay on their side of the trail.Honestly, is it that friggin hard to steer your red mid to late 90's formula that you have to chase your buddy on the twistiest most tight section of B203 and to top it off on a blind hill top.I hope to god you SHAT your pants twice!! cause I sure as heck had nowhere to go.Thank god I don't drive fast when the sign says slow especially in the twisties.Wished I had my trail cam going today I'd be posting your friggin sled all over every site.Idiot..

Kerry

really sucks when trail riding becomes death-defying act...

Ride around Dorset on a weekend, brutal over there too! At least know one got hurt this time! I see lots of tracks of people cutting the corner. Was almost hit last week, guy was waving behind him, didn't see a sled and then realized the guy will be doing a good clip to catch his buddy. I sat and waited, sure enough he almost slid right thru the corner. Lucky I didn't proceed! You really have to ride smart to stay safe!

I ride mid week only so I'm lucky that I don't have to put up with lots of traffic. But, the problem mid week is that there is so little traffic that people ride very fast and seldom stay on their side of the trail on corners as they don't expect any traffic coming the other way. Never ceases to amaze me when I see the tracks of other sleds and you can't tell which direction the sled traveled because every corner the tracks are on the inside of the corner. Just have to be careful whether its a weekend or mid week.

In addition to the bad driving skills of all the wannabe racers out there, sled technology has increased by leaps and bounds over the last 15 years. They ride much better, have wider stances, are are way more powerful. Also, I think grooming has become much better too. These things all contribute to faster trail speeds. One item that has not kept pace is trail width. We need to widen our trails - especially in the twisties. 

In addition to the bad driving skills of all the wannabe racers out there, sled technology has increased by leaps and bounds over the last 15 years. They ride much better, have wider stances, are are way more powerful. Also, I think grooming has become much better too. These things all contribute to faster trail speeds. One item that has not kept pace is trail width. We need to widen our trails - especially in the twisties. 

Many of our landowners don't want us cutting trees in their bushes. Around here if you were allowed to cut them, you would have to do something with the stumps as well and you would have to have volunteers to do the work. Its a lot easier said than done in many cases.

Many of our landowners don't want us cutting trees in their bushes. Around here if you were allowed to cut them, you would have to do something with the stumps as well and you would have to have volunteers to do the work. Its a lot easier said than done in many cases.

i understand this completely. But the need is there, nonetheless. Higher speeds, higher traffic, higher risk. Machine technology has surpassed trail reality...The OFSC needs to address this as a primary issue - especially for TOP trails. Widening trails is at least not quite as bad a job as creating new trails entirely. We all need a little more of the old OTBA spirit!

How about just riding to the conditions of the twisties and slowing down, holding the throttle for the wide open stretches or the lakes. Some of those twisties are some of the nicest trails we have and don't need to be highways.

How about just riding to the conditions of the twisties and slowing down, holding the throttle for the wide open stretches or the lakes. Some of those twisties are some of the nicest trails we have and don't need to be highways.

Great concept! But you know that it isn't reality. The weekends are mayhem out there, and we all know it.

I really enjoy the smaller twisty trails, Like Snowcrest 4 for example.  I also appreciate the Snow Highways on occasion. 

Ride to your ability, the trail construct and the Trail Conditions for the safety of all.

OR....  Lets have a debate about Mandatory Goveners on Snowmobiles  ;)

I guess it's trail 203.I'm sure you all know the stretch on the 11th con between Barrie road and Bass lake sideroad.It's a beautiful little stretch just past the houses but it has hills and a couple good turns.His buddy was riding maybe 300yds ahead and signalled one behind so I was already aware someone was coming.I can only move so far to the right without climbing a 2ft bank edge and this is a very tight trail-there is only room for a groomer to pass thru and that is it- no sideswails nothing.And because it is following the ravine sight lines are short.Anyway maybe he figured it is just a one way trail going his way only.Glad I was still kind of going up hill cause I stopped a lot faster than he turned and thankfully no one was behind me or I'm sure they would have gotten it.Just frustrating seeing this on a day that had a fair amount of traffic with a lot of family riders.Hope none of them had to deal with this stuff.

Kerry

A few close calls for me and the wife this weekend on the B trail.

I never let her lead for this reason. 

At least by the time the "yahoo" nearly hits me he is fully aware there is another driver behind me.

I showed one finger...

A few close calls for my and the wife this weekend on the B trail.

I never let her lead for this reason. 

At least by the time the "yahoo" nearly hits me he is fully aware there is another driver behind me.

I showed one finger...

I do the same... I never let my wife lead either for the same reason

X2

I do the same... I never let my wife lead either for the same reason

X3 plus we use communicators so I can warn her and let her know how many sleds to expect.

X2

yeah Im the free yahoo detector for my group 

i've gotten to the point if a large group is racing i just pull over and give them the finger as they blow over blind hills and corners. good thing I'm stopped and clear of those jackasses. 

X3 plus we use communicators so I can warn her and let her know how many sleds to expect.

X4,  communicators are our #1 best purchase ever.

There is no reason why a sane rider would not stick to their side of the trail.  Too bad there are so many insane people out there.

Well I had no time for a one finger salute but I hope he learned his lesson, it could have been much worse.

Kerry

I would like to give them the one finger salute but I wear mitts.

I've started to get in the habit of using the "official" sign for sleds behind (thumbing back and forth motion) to signal oncoming sledders.  Even if I know how many sledders are in my group...I don't know if another group is right behind our last rider.

Archived