Freeloader Weekend 2015

revrnd

I rode from Apsley to Harcourt & back this afternoon (85 miles) & I was surprised that the trails weren't as busy as I thought they'd be. I think Sunday & Monday's weather has scared the freeloaders into staying home.

I think I met a couple that were possibly  going for the "freeloader double". Late in the afternoon I met a '98ish ZR (no visible permit) w/ 2 riders. The passenger was clutching an ice auger (free fishing weekend too). Their track had come from a little lake that folks fish on.

Had anyone noticed any of the free weekend permits today?

I find poker derby weekends a lot worst then this free weekend IMO

Mid week riding FTW :icon_photo:

Never left the yard all day yesterday, except to go out for Valentine's day / family day supper at the restaurant.  Won't be sledding today either -35 this morning.

Gotta watch with trail passes .... I think the asshats up here purposely hide them ... some on the console behind the windshield, some on the right side panel almost by the riders' knee, I even saw one on a belt guard.  Ridiculous.

also never seen to many sleds out, although one thing i did notice is most people are using hand signals." good thing"

rode yesterday from Erin to Durham, across to Hanover down through Neustadt, Clifford, Harriston, Palmerston, back through Arthur and back to Erin. trails were mint for the most part.

what a great day.

We were returning from a 5 day round trip to Cochrane and back to North Bay (with several stops along the way). We saw many sleds of all ages and styles on the trails north of North Bay on Saturday. It seemed like everyone was out riding. All riders were respectful of others and not riding aggressively. If the sled can start up and move, it was on the trail yesterday.

Saw a handful of free permits outside Memories Of Muskoka yesterday. They were all very old very nice sleds that likely wouldn't see a trail otherwise. A couple of  old Phazers.

The ones where the headlights etc. were part of a pod attached to the handlebars.

The other sleds they were with all had current permits.

Saw a handful of free permits outside Memories Of Muskoka yesterday. They were all very old very nice sleds that likely wouldn't see a trail otherwise. A couple of  old Phazers.

The ones where the headlights etc. were part of a pod attached to the handlebars.

The other sleds they were with all had current permits.

I saw an Arctic Cat Prowler yesterday, not sure of the permit, but I haven't seen 1 of those or the late 90s ZRs that I mentioned earlier in years.

Had to go to Ottawa yesterday and pick the oldest up from school as she is off this week.. what's normally a 2h40m drive took closer yo 4h30m. Was going to sled today but I'm a wuss and won't sled when it's below -25... it's up to -16 now but I'm nice and warm inside. Tomorrow we are off to this big fish in Toronto.

Normally see lots of sled traffic on the lake but don't think I've seen one today. Even the ice fishing guys are staying home because of the cold.

Mount St. Louis Moonstone had about 3 skiers on the hill around 1:00 today and the parking lot was basically empty. Got gas for the truck at the Amco in Port Severn and there had been a surprising number of sleds in for fuel but they tell me very few of them would have been over early 20's. When you are young you are still invincible.

We haven't had many sleds out around here this weekend. I was out both days for a couple of hours and then spent some time at St. Clements Clubhouse checking permits. Everyone I checked had the freebie but some couldn't get them to stay stuck to the windshield. Waterloo Region Police sled patrol were in to the clubhouse yesterday and they had apparently written some $250.00 tickets. They told Ed they were looking for the free permits as well as valtags and proof of insurance. It's really far from a free weekend if done properly with  insurance coverage + valtag. Although, likely thats cheaper than the $250.00 fine if caught on an older sled.

Is it a $250.00 fine for not having a permit.

The gentleman that told me was talking with the police officer. He didn't say which violation the fine was for.

We rode both days sat & Sunday all day on several areas including buckhorn & paudash twin mountains & Haliburton areas and the few amount of sleds we seen both days all had permits visable including the free weekend passes on their sleds !!! We did see one that had fallen off a sled and was lying on the trail with a piece of tape on it !!! So it just blew off I would imagine we also seen a club doing trail patrol as well but compliance in those areas that we seen were ok did not see any OPP in any of the areas we ride either we thought they would be out but did not see any !!! I think the cold kept most people at home as we had most of the trails to ourselves !!! We did pass the Haliburton BBQ on B103 in the morning they were just setting up and seen the buckhorn BBQ late Saturday !!!! I heard that as of wedbesday that just passed 5-6 thousand free passes had been printed off so far !!! Far cry from the 15,000 last winter !!! Anyone know what the numbers all as of Friday ??? Ride safe & bring on the snow. Cheers

We had a major storm Saturday through early Sunday. I had no choice but to send the the groomer out, I operated from 10am to 5pm, saw a good number of sleds, lots of free passes. 1 dead 800 pro x with a freebie, bet hes glad he didn't fork over the cash, lol. I just checked the tracking and we got 90% of the trails groomed up in 26hrs, thanks to my great volunteer operators.

We are having our free bbq today, so we are looking forward to seeing happy riders, I hope the trails are packed and everyone enjoys themselves. I am going to check the groomer over this afternoon and it will head out tonight and run around the clock to fix the trails all back up for the paying members, we like to try and keep everyone happy!

I rode from Apsley to Harcourt & back this afternoon (85 miles) & I was surprised that the trails weren't as busy as I thought they'd be. I think Sunday & Monday's weather has scared the freeloaders into staying home.

I think I met a couple that were possibly  going for the "freeloader double". Late in the afternoon I met a '98ish ZR (no visible permit) w/ 2 riders. The passenger was clutching an ice auger (free fishing weekend too). Their track had come from a little lake that folks fish on.

I don't think my buddy who borrowed a sled from a friend  to take his young son out for his first day of sledding ever thought he was freeloading...he was exposing his son to the sport and hopefully in years to come that young man will be a volunteer, buying passes and supporting a local club....I met a few people yesterday when I was out who said they bought sleds this year after participating in the free weekend last year...I much rather have a bunch of free loaders on the trail rather than guys with year passes than go wide open all the time, cut every corner, pin the throttle at every stop....

I don't think my buddy who borrowed a sled from a friend  to take his young son out for his first day of sledding ever thought he was freeloading...he was exposing his son to the sport and hopefully in years to come that young man will be a volunteer, buying passes and supporting a local club....I met a few people yesterday when I was out who said they bought sleds this year after participating in the free weekend last year...I much rather have a bunch of free loaders on the trail rather than guys with year passes than go wide open all the time, cut every corner, pin the throttle at every stop....

"Beliee dat"  .... menaces to society as a whole ....

I found that the people on old iron were generally good, all the tards were riding new stuff, 1 guy on a procross cat on the wrong side of the trail in the corner did the panic brake/ sideways then had the nerve to wave his fist at us, lol, I dont understand people that panic brake every time they see a sled coming

We had a major storm Saturday through early Sunday. I had no choice but to send the the groomer out, I operated from 10am to 5pm, saw a good number of sleds, lots of free passes. 1 dead 800 pro x with a freebie, bet hes glad he didn't fork over the cash, lol. I just checked the tracking and we got 90% of the trails groomed up in 26hrs, thanks to my great volunteer operators.

We are having our free bbq today, so we are looking forward to seeing happy riders, I hope the trails are packed and everyone enjoys themselves. I am going to check the groomer over this afternoon and it will head out tonight and run around the clock to fix the trails all back up for the paying members, we like to try and keep everyone happy!

Hey WM  How much snow did you get?  We got just under 2''

Good luck! Hope your buddy is ok and doesn't loose his tumb! It was minus 30 last night, minus 24 now. Still cold here in kitchener!

I found that the people on old iron were generally good, all the tards were riding new stuff, 1 guy on a procross cat on the wrong side of the trail in the corner did the panic brake/ sideways then had the nerve to wave his fist at us, lol, I dont understand people that panic brake every time they see a sled coming

X2 Saw a number of "newer" sleds on the trails on Saturday. Some with the "free pass" some who didn't bother and lots of those "newer" sleds had expired permits on them.  The way they were riding they weren't new riders being introduced to the sport. Lots of snowcross wannabe's riding with the free pass.

I keep to my side of the trail and do my best to look through the trees on bends hoping to spot on coming sleds. Particularly on a the free weekend in survival mode I will slow down coming to blind turns and hill crests or when there is oncoming traffic on a narrow trail. A few times we had to pull slightly off trail to avoid the racers coming at us.

Saw a number of riders come flying over the crest of a hill in the middle of the trail without any regard for anyone else. Fortunately the trail was wide enough the by hugging the very edge of the trail there was room to avoid being hit.

Rode the Stoney Lake, Buckhorn and Paudash trails on Saturday. Trails were fairly busy. I was lead sled and found about half of the sleds I met were on my side of the trail, but i don't believe any of them were riding with the free pass. I did see a fair bit of old iron, but didn't see what type of pass they had.Came across lots of sleds at the Buckhorn clubs barbeque on the trails. Nice to see!

We were at Reids store getting gas before heading down the lake to Burliegh when a couple girls ask us for help finding their destination. They were looking for Blue Mountain. Of course the Blue Mountain they were looking for was NOT the one on Kassabog! They had traveled from Detroit and followed their Googled directions to a Tee. I can't even get the Kassabog Blue Mountain to come up when I googled it! It was about 5:30 and we sent them on their 3 hour journey to the Blue Mountains for their weekend of "skiing"

Headed across the road and down a short trail to the lake ans came across someone who missed the corner and slammed into a big tree with their fairly new Doo 800. He was OK, we stopped and helped him get his sled out of the bush, but it was done.

It was a great day getting my Dad and Uncle out for a rip!

I was out yesterday and saw numerous free ride permits, poker run day also.

I heard you were out grooming yesterday Ted, thanks for getting things touched up, was lotsa drifts out there. Im not sure if it was you but I backed out of the RR bed by Camlachie to let the groomer pass last night.

Wish I could be there for the BBQ today, but back to work for me, have a dog or two for me :)

Archived