Shelburne to Dundalk trails suck !

gpshddan

Trails can be primo and green when the trail update is done on Thursday and be beat to s--t by Saturday morning especially this season with snow that hasn't been packing and big volumes of traffic.

I hear ya...to be honest, the conditions I encountered were not do to lots of traffic ....and like I said earlier, I understand...lots of snow, drifting, not alot of traffic during the week on them... etc...my only thought was they should not in my opinion been green, should of been yellow...Diceman

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear ya...to be honest, the conditions I encountered were not do to lots of traffic ....and like I said earlier, I understand...lots of snow, drifting, not alot of traffic during the week on them... etc...my only thought was they should not in my opinion been green, should of been yellow...Diceman

to be green no bare ground no running water groomed only once a week 

yikes!!!  really, thats the scale??/

Just thought I would point out that the OFSC publishes "Trail availability", not "Trail Conditions", probably for all the reasons mentioned above. It is impossible to accurately report on conditions given the constantly changing variables such as weather, traffic, grooming, azzhats tearing up the trails, etc.

Just thought I would point out that the OFSC publishes "Trail availability", not "Trail Conditions", probably for all the reasons mentioned above. It is impossible to accurately report on conditions given the constantly changing variables such as weather, traffic, grooming, azzhats tearing up the trails, etc.

well if that is the case then there should only be one color...

Yeah green doesn't equal mint it equals safe for ofsc

I am starting to believe we should have open or closed trails, that's all. ( red or green ). Could help for Risk Management for any lawsuits since it is always our fault someone has an accident.

Great idea!! Will be buying some cards.  I truly appreciate the volunteers that make my sledding possible.  I do believe that paying the permit fee does give people the right to comment on how the various clubs perform, without the comments back that they should volunteer instead of complaining.  Comments do not need to be insulting however.  Case in point..many people complained loud and long about Haliburton for years.  It seems to be different now.  The trails are better and more consistent.  Was this because of an injection of more money, better leadership, more volunteers? Don't know, but it seems the complaints were heard.

More money only comes from more permit buyers. More volunteers will always improve a club and the leadership comes from the volunteers so we are back to the chicken or the egg which comes first more volunteers or better trail conditions. It's my perception that most clubs seem to have a die hard core of volunteers and a handful that come and go pitching in when they can how they can. There are multiple ways to approach a situation as well. Constructive criticism delivered in an appropriate message is likely welcome. Two ways of saying the same thing.

I've noticed this year that your trails don't seem to be up to the standard they have been in the past and seem to be maintained less than your neighbouring clubs. Is the club facing some challenges?

OR

Your trails suck!

Which do you think would demoralize the volunteers more. The first would probably be received well and would probably get a dialogue going regarding specific trails so they could address it or perhaps an explanation that their groomer has broken down a number of times or other things.

I had someone comment last winter about our trails being rougher than they expected in our area, not only ours but our neighbouring clubs as well. After explaining that our groomer was broken down, our neighbours groomer was broken down as well and that they should be up and running in a few days once the parts arrive they understood and said thanks.

i will say that probably 99% of the sledders running the trails have no idea about how the ofsc operates, or how the clubs operate

and a huge number of them don't really care or want to know... they just believe they paid their money and are entitled to ride prime conditions

Yeah green doesn't equal mint it equals safe for ofsc

does yellow mean safety for ofsc?..meaning it is safe to ride without the liability?..will say that some of the trails I rode Sat were way less safe than earlier in the season on some yellow trails....I agree with someone on here that says they should be opened or closed....

The yellow also means that you may not be able to go the full length on a particular trail due to trees down, washout, swamp not frozen or ice crossing unsafe but the other sections of that trail are satisfactory to travel with the understanding that you might not to be able to travel the entire section marked yellow.

People want to get out and the yellow trails give them that option with the understanding that there are some issues.

Roughness of trail cannot possibly be factored in with the flours.

To the op, I do not sympathize with you. I can get in the groomer at 10pm, groom till 9am, go home, have a knap and go jump on the sled at like 2pm. Trail that I just groomed is less then stellar. I ride it anyway, it is what it is. Try building trails when they are listed red and there are hundreds of sleds flying by and hunks of wheat flying through the air. Sympathy, look in the dictionary between crap and syphilis, it should be there. I won't quit because of ignorant people, ill quit because I have done my share.......next.

To the op, I do not sympathize with you. I can get in the groomer at 10pm, groom till 9am, go home, have a knap and go jump on the sled at like 2pm. Trail that I just groomed is less then stellar. I ride it anyway, it is what it is. Try building trails when they are listed red and there are hundreds of sleds flying by and hunks of wheat flying through the air. Sympathy, look in the dictionary between crap and syphilis, it should be there. I won't quit because of ignorant people, ill quit because I have done my share.......next.

Now THAT ^ is an awesome post!

Well said!

Couldn't agree more wildbill! and lucky, I do the same, assume yellow all the time.

I'll try to be more positive, one of those "everyone should get a trophy" kind of guys.  I realize I'm a tourist in all of this and don't understand how the OFSC operates.  Should I care?  Doesn't snowmobiling need more than only those who "understand".  If I come to your trails because you have invited me on Family Day Weekend: what should be my expectations; a pleasant day enjoying smooth trails with courteous co-riders or trails that have been overused with obnoxious snow cross wannabe's?  I think that the OFSC needs more customers that have a positive experience.  Let's try not to drive them away.

They should never be invited on potentially the busiest weekend of the year.

Absolute madness to piss of your paying customers by letting a bunch of freebies lose in prime time.

What other business in their right mind who do this.

What is wrong with last weekend, same as Quebec.

rode the B109 today from Mansfield up to Creemore. 70% quite bumpy. No bare spots, no visible rocks, no fallen trees. Greenish-yellow I would say. It was Ok. I have ridden worse.

Back down to Mansfield then southeast on the 422 to Everett. Superflat, mint, mint, mint. Not a bump, not a mogul, nothing. Gorgeous little section of trail.

Trail conditions can be hit amd miss I guess.

Thanks to all volunteers of DDB and ADSC for your hard work. 

....and thank-you too landowners.

I am just grateful for what we have 

that is what I always think,some yrs in barrie no snow & trails don't even open...

seems there is usually a good reason why trails are ruff or ungroomed...groomer broken,not enough snow,swamps not frozen or only place with snow...in todays ofsc not grooming could sink a club

that is what I always think,some yrs in barrie no snow & trails don't even open...

seems there is usually a good reason why trails are ruff or ungroomed...groomer broken,not enough snow,swamps not frozen or only place with snow...in todays ofsc not grooming could sink a club

Very true 

Archived