Trail Status Definitions

revrnd

Does anyone have the "official" (if they exist) definitions of Available & Limited Availability? I've been hearing complaints about the condition of the trails even though they are marked Limited.

TRAIL UNAVAILABLE Trails are unavailable and unsafe for snowmobiling.

LIMITED AVAILABILITY Some trails are passable for marginal snowmobiling; some trails may be unavailable, so extra caution is advised.

Rocks , stumps , swamp and creeks may be open. Trail may end to a Unavailable trail or dead end at a lake that has not been staked...

AVAILABLE Trails are available to snowmobiles with valid permits to enter at their own risk.

I wish the interactive map would show a different colour for logging on trail or road run

I wish the interactive map would show a different colour for logging on trail or road run

Old paper maps show this as dotted line. Not anymore...

Trail Status Reporting is covered in MPD 002 Section 10.3.1 as follows

10.3.1 The choices for “Current Trail Status” to be reported are as follows:

10.3.1.1 “Closed = RED”. Trails are not open and are considered unsafe for

travel. Stay off the trails.

10.3.1.2 “Limited = YELLOW”. Trails are passable for marginal

snowmobiling, some trails may be closed, extra caution advised.

10.3.1.3 “Open = GREEN”. Trails are open for snowmobiling.

10.3.1.4 “Data Not Reported = GREY”. Status of trails are not reported”.

Data not received or received late.

Trail are divided into segments and a different Status can apply to each segment. So as Yukon notes you could run into a dead end on a trail.

Does anyone have the "official" (if they exist) definitions of Available & Limited Availability? I've been hearing complaints about the condition of the trails even though they are marked Limited.

Trail Status Reporting is covered in MPD 002 Section 10.3.1 as follows

10.3.1 The choices for “Current Trail Status” to be reported are as follows:

10.3.1.1 “Closed = RED”. Trails are not open and are considered unsafe for

travel. Stay off the trails.

10.3.1.2 “Limited = YELLOW”. Trails are passable for marginal

snowmobiling, some trails may be closed, extra caution advised.

10.3.1.3 “Open = GREEN”. Trails are open for snowmobiling.

10.3.1.4 “Data Not Reported = GREY”. Status of trails are not reported”.

Data not received or received late.

Trail are divided into segments and a different Status can apply to each segment. So as Yukon notes you could run into a dead end on a trail.

So the $64,000 question is, What is the defintion of passable?

What should be the defintion of passable be?

So the $64,000 question is, What is the defintion of passable?

What should be the defintion of passable be?

X2

Passable could mean anything.

To me if the sliders aren't melting, I'm not bouncing off rocks & the temp gauge isn't in the red, it's passable.

Many people have an expectation of perfectly smooth 8' wide trails regardless of the weather, snow conditions, time of season, etc.

People get upset when they go to ride Boxing Day morning & the trails weren't groomed the night before. "Sorry folks Daddy would love to have Christmas dinner, but I've to go grooming tonight".

lol, have you seen the whohaw it is to go through just to update status, let alone mark other stuff on there. Good idea, but tough to do accurately and still keep your sanity.

lol, have you seen the whohaw it is to go through just to update status, let alone mark other stuff on there. Good idea, but tough to do accurately and still keep your sanity.

It has been a work in progress, getting better each year imo, maybe it will come!

People for.the most.part dont appreciate the work put in to open a trail. I am just happy to be twisting the bars

From what I understand they judge somewhat by could a 15 year old (I believe) operate a sled safely at 50 km per hour over all trails in the area to deem it "green" or open

If anyone has ever used the road navigation app called Waze, it would be a great to implement our trail system into it or model the ofsc trail map on.  Interactive, users can update real time, actually displays every user in real time and shows their speed.  Allows updates of accidents, OPP, road conditions and alerts users as they approach or all of them when you plot a route.  I know I'm dreaming, but with cell towers dotting a huge chuck of ontario, very feasible.

I'd say, OFSC should allow certain users to update things like currently logging, road running, wash outs etc. and "just groomed xx/xx/2015" notes.

And yeah,short term, maybe should be something between yellow and green, because yellow can be barely passable, or yellow is as good as green.  Allow "approved" updaters as well so not just club who are busy enough without having to update the website.

Rode about 1500 k this week, and mostly very good conditions. :)

It would be a lot beasier with just RED (Closed for snowmobiling for any reason) or Green (Legally Open for snowmobiling with no statement or assurance as to quality). Legally open would be defined as Safety Signage installed and landowner has given permission for local traffic. After that its up to the rider to decide if they want to use the trail at their own risk.

Talking to one of the guys @ the garage yesterday while a couple of cans filled. He was saying a lot of whining Sat' about the trail conditions. I said w/ 10" of powder & no base, what did they expect.

I've used the Waze app, not bad didn't like the map look however. Beat the Traffic is much better.

It's not a bad idea for the trail system and 99% of us out there wouldn't have a probkme with it. However the 1% idiots out there would find a way to exploit it and sue for millions and there goes our insurance rates again. That's why we have the simple red, yellow, green system.

I That's why we have the simple red, yellow, green system.

Dumbed down for the idgits!

I've used the Waze app, not bad didn't like the map look however. Beat the Traffic is much better.

It's not a bad idea for the trail system and 99% of us out there wouldn't have a probkme with it. However the 1% idiots out there would find a way to exploit it and sue for millions and there goes our insurance rates again. That's why we have the simple red, yellow, green system.

I'll have to check out "Beat the Traffic".  One advantage of it being run off an app independent of OFSC and user populated is that the entity would be very difficult to be sued (Waze I believe is domiciled out of Israel) if some idiot decided to blame someone for mislabeled conditions.

If you get hurt when....

...you hit a tree because you took the corner too fast

...you went airborne over the hill

...you rolled you sled down a hill

...you hit an obstacle that was not on the trail

...you damaged your sled whilst riding on a closed trail

...etc

BLAME YOURSELF!

If you get hurt when....

...you hit a tree because you took the corner too fast

...you went airborne over the hill

...you rolled you sled down a hill

...you hit an obstacle that was not on the trail

...you damaged your sled whilst riding on a closed trail

...etc

BLAME YOURSELF!

But that concept doesn't work in today's "blameless society". It's always someone else's fault.

Street level hoods, white collar scam artists, people that cause traffic accidents, et cetera, always blame somebody or society @ large for their troubles. 

But that concept doesn't work in today's "blameless society". It's always someone else's fault.

Street level hoods, white collar scam artists, people that cause traffic accidents, et cetera, always blame somebody or society @ large for their troubles. 

Yup... the drug dealers and gang members do what they do becasue society let them down. We should give them all a big hug to make them feel good about themselves and that will cure everything.

Archived