Trail side assistance

lakejoe

Hi all, hope everyone's enjoying the season so far.

I'm going to be doing a lot of solo riding in the Muskoka area over the next month and I was wondering if anyone knows of any CAA type of services for snowmobilers who break down.

I'm riding a brand new Renegade 800 and would hate to get stranded somewhere remote.

Thanks,

Aaron

Check your messages

Nunz

I'm going to be doing a lot of solo riding in the Muskoka area over the next month and I was wondering if anyone knows of any CAA type of services for snowmobilers who break down.

I'm riding a brand new Renegade 800 and would hate to get stranded somewhere remote.

Thanks,

Aaron

When I signed up for CAA they did have an option for sleds, but when I started asking questions, it didn't appear they could help.

When I signed up for CAA they did have an option for sleds, but when I started asking questions, it didn't appear they could help.

Interesting. Seems hard to believe that CAA would dispatch someone to a remote trail in the middle of nowhere!

I thought I saw a truck/trailer for a company out helping someone parked on a road near Horseshoe Lake a couple of years ago, but can't remember the name.

That's what I thought too. Here is something from their site…

Our Premier RV membership provides the same perks and additional service call with 320 km towing distance as our Premier membership, but extends your coverage to motorhomes, campers, trailers, snowmobiles, boats and utility trailers.

Thanks,

Aaron

Hi Aaron

I live in the Bracebridge area, and if you ever want to go for a weekday ride after 6pm, let me know. I do most of my riding solo and would prefer to go with someone else.

Mike

We should add a '911' section here for people who break down but have access to internet. There's a good chance that at any given time somebody is on here that could help or knows somebody that could. 

We should add a '911' section here for people who break down but have access to internet. There's a good chance that at any given time somebody is on here that could help or knows somebody that could.

Great idea!

Hi Aaron

I live in the Bracebridge area, and if you ever want to go for a weekday ride after 6pm, let me know. I do most of my riding solo and would prefer to go with someone else.

Mike

Thanks Mike, will do!

Agreed! That would be great.

Even an opt-in call list would be cool.

Still surprised there aren't any businesses offering these kind of on call services.

Here is something we have done for trips. If someone breaks down we could ride to the nearest town and rent a Uhaul. Pick the sled up and the owner can take her home. That's providing it can't be fixed on a trail. Of cours there would have to be a Uhaul in the area. The other option we used is rode to town and went to the bar. Asked if anyone has a truck and wantes to make $100. Of course we have towed it to the nearest road. I find most sledders on the trail will help out and tow you to the nearest road. Just some things we have used over the years.

RR

Here is something we have done for trips. If someone breaks down we could ride to the nearest town and rent a Uhaul. Pick the sled up and the owner can take her home. That's providing it can't be fixed on a trail. Of cours there would have to be a Uhaul in the area. The other option we used is rode to town and went to the bar. Asked if anyone has a truck and wantes to make $100. Of course we have towed it to the nearest road. I find most sledders on the trail will help out and tow you to the nearest road. Just some things we have used over the years.

RR

that often works best

I have sent an email and facebook question to the OFSC about lobbying for the membership to have CAA support on the trails. I have received no response. I have talked to CAA and they offer no help. CAA will pick up a bicycle but not a licenced snowmobile. I understand they can't come onto the trail to get you; however they could meet at a plowed roadway to offer assistance.  I am disapointed the OFSC did not have the courtesy to even respond to my email. What a great marketing tool and service the OFSC and CAA could cash in on if they would just think of the possibilities.

Now, a work around we did last year is we talk to a local tow truck guy and ask if they can help and they broker for CAA. If yes, then call CAA and say you have a 4x4 truck (4x4 need flat beds tows) that needs a tow. CAA sends a flat bed truck of the towing company you talked to earlier. They pickup your sled and take you to whereever you have to go with the coverage you have on CAA.

CAA has a membership for Motorcycles.

RR

I have sent an email and facebook question to the OFSC about lobbying for the membership to have CAA support on the trails. I have received no response. I have talked to CAA and they offer no help. CAA will pick up a bicycle but not a licenced snowmobile. I understand they can't come onto the trail to get you; however they could meet at a plowed roadway to offer assistance.  I am disapointed the OFSC did not have the courtesy to even respond to my email. What a great marketing tool and service the OFSC and CAA could cash in on if they would just think of the possibilities.

Now, a work around we did last year is we talk to a local tow truck guy and ask if they can help and they broker for CAA. If yes, then call CAA and say you have a 4x4 truck (4x4 need flat beds tows) that needs a tow. CAA sends a flat bed truck of the towing company you talked to earlier. They pickup your sled and take you to whereever you have to go with the coverage you have on CAA.

See post #5, they say they cover snowmobiles for their Premier plan

good news !

That must be new! In the past they wouldn't touch them!

Trail side assistance is usually sledders. Got my sled stuck real bad in a 3' ditch. No hope of getting it out. Four big guys come along, I step aside, sled back on the road in 2minutes.

Thanks,

Aaron

Hello Aaron. After Feb.14th we will be coming up to southern Gravenhurst/Port Severn area every Monday to Wednesday. You are more than welcome to join us anytime. Just pm me anytime for info. Dee & Terry

Please show me where CAA covers sleds. I have Premier coverage and am not aware of this > I also just searched snowmobile on their site and nothing found.

Please show me where CAA covers sleds. I have Premier coverage and am not aware of this > I also just searched snowmobile on their site and nothing found.

Sorry, it is called Premier RV

http://www.caasco.com/Membership/Join/Join-ProductDetail.aspx?profile=Default

CAA doesn't cover sleds at all. Their literature isn't worded perfectly - they cover sled trailers with Premier RV plan.

"Our Premier RV membership provides the same perks and additional service call with 320 km towing distance as our Premier membership, but extends your coverage to motorhomes, campers, trailers, snowmobiles, boats and utility trailers."

What they should say is, "Our Premier RV membership provides the same perks and additional service call with 320 km towing distance as our Premier membership, but extends your coverage to motorhomes, campers, snowmobile trailers, boat trailers and utility trailers."

CAA doesn't cover sleds at all. Their literature isn't worded perfectly - they cover sled trailers with Premier RV plan.

"Our Premier RV membership provides the same perks and additional service call with 320 km towing distance as our Premier membership, but extends your coverage to motorhomes, campers, trailers, snowmobiles, boats and utility trailers."

What they should say is, "Our Premier RV membership provides the same perks and additional service call with 320 km towing distance as our Premier membership, but extends your coverage to motorhomes, campers, snowmobile trailers, boat trailers and utility trailers."

Is that what they told you when you inquired?

Archived