4 sledders charged in Sudbury Area

GrizzlyGriff

You're right there are some other exemptions but pretty obscure and not likely to come across in most areas. I was simply referencing the most common reason that people try to use. They say they are going fishing and show you a fish hook and spool of fish line. On top of that you get the person who rode from Orillia and is headed to Georgian Bay trying to claim exemption because he is going fishing.  Yes you are exempt on your own property. Aboriginal while on treaty lands but not on private property.  Where the majority of riders are (Muskoka) you typically can't go very far before you are off of your own property, off the treaty property and onto someone else's private property.  

While engaged in forestry activities pursuant to a licence under theCrown Forest Sustainability Act, 1994 or a private land forest harvesting contract within the location of the forestry operation or while travelling directly to or from the location of the forestry operation, if the trail is the only access route from the closest road to the location of the forestry operation or is the only safe access route to the location of the forestry operation.

I doubt these two guy pulling a couple sleds of wood qualify from the clause above. I have had lots of people try the I'm going fishing but never anyone claim they were going logging.

Was doing STOP patol today and was going to issue a PON for no trail permit and determined that the sled was stolen last Feb. Notified the OPP and they came and laid the appropriate charges and loaded the sled on a flatbed. Felt pretty good to recover a stolen sled.

Some of the more serious charges start with just a check for license, registration and insurance.

Was doing STOP patol today and was going to issue a PON for no trail permit and determined that the sled was stolen last Feb. Notified the OPP and they came and laid the appropriate charges and loaded the sled on a flatbed. Felt pretty good to recover a stolen sled.

Some of the more serious charges start with just a check for license, registration and insurance.

Very cool... there is some justice after all

You're right there are some other exemptions but pretty obscure and not likely to come across in most areas. I was simply referencing the most common reason that people try to use. They say they are going fishing and show you a fish hook and spool of fish line. On top of that you get the person who rode from Orillia and is headed to Georgian Bay trying to claim exemption because he is going fishing.  Yes you are exempt on your own property. Aboriginal while on treaty lands but not on private property.  Where the majority of riders are (Muskoka) you typically can't go very far before you are off of your own property, off the treaty property and onto someone else's private property.  

While engaged in forestry activities pursuant to a licence under theCrown Forest Sustainability Act, 1994 or a private land forest harvesting contract within the location of the forestry operation or while travelling directly to or from the location of the forestry operation, if the trail is the only access route from the closest road to the location of the forestry operation or is the only safe access route to the location of the forestry operation.

I doubt these two guy pulling a couple sleds of wood qualify from the clause above. I have had lots of people try the I'm going fishing but never anyone claim they were going logging.

Just remember if a guy says he is going fishing, he does not need to have gear with him, he may well have a hut. If you are going to be doing trail patrol you really should not even bother being on crown land, should do so on private property and make sure you know the owner and anyone they are allowing on their land.

While engaged in angling activities during open season, as defined in the Ontario Fishery Regulations made under the Fisheries Act (Canada), pursuant to a valid fishing or fishing/hunting outdoors card and a valid sport fishing validation tag, both issued under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997, and while travelling on Crown or other public land directly to or from the area open for angling, within the meaning of the Fisheries Act (Canada), if the trail is the only access route from the closest road to the area open for angling or is the only safe access route to the area open for angling.

(a) A valid fishing or fishing/hunting outdoors card and a valid sport fishing validation tag, both issued under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997.

Archived