Snowcrest Weekend Group Rides 2015

Blake G

Great job by the organizers for both clubs. Thank you to everyone that participated. Sorry I can't ride this year. Looks like I missed a fun time.

We look forward to having you join us next year perhaps.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just being out there with the vest....

Well, I did check for permits on ten or twenty sleds at the junction of C and C101D while we were waiting for a few minutes. Everyone stopped or slowed down considerably, until I waved them through having seen the valid permits. No butter tarts in sight. And there was a group of guys earlier, on Lake Muskoka with Quebec permits. They saw my trail patrol vest and approached me to ask where they might be allowed to sled without OFSC permits. At least two or three other times during the day people approached me because I was wearing the vest, and asked directions regarding gas stops, and one fellow asked about the location of Lake Joe. I think having visble Trail Patrols can be helpful to other sledders, even if the T.P. is mobile much of the time. Also, we encountered multiple instances where small groups or single sleds were stopped along the trail, and when given the thumbs up, they responded in kind, so perhaps a little peace of mind may be afforded if trails are visibly patrolled. And there was one guy stopped with an actual mechanical issue. He said he was very near his cottage, though, and did not require any assistance.

It may also be a good idea to have Trail Patrols involved with group rides, as we did yesterday. Easier to keep track of the group if vests are worn. I know it helped me keep track of the flock from the front. I knew to check for nine sleds after mine, then six more after 02led's Trail Patrol vest. From further back in the line it would have been helpful to be able to see the group leaders from a distance. This high visibility could be accomplished by use of any bright clothing, of course, or maybe the use of flags on some of the sleds.

Well, I did check for permits on ten or twenty sleds at the junction of C and C101D while we were waiting for a few minutes. Everyone stopped or slowed down considerably, until I waved them through having seen the valid permits. No butter tarts in sight. And there was the group of guys earlier, on Lake Muskoka with Quebec permits. They saw my trail patrol vest and approached me to ask where they might be allowed to sled without OFSC permits. At least two or three other times during the day people approached me because I was wearing the vest, and asked directions regarding gas stops, and one fellow asked about the location of Lake Joe. I think having visble Trail Patrols can be helpful to other sledders, even if the T.P. is mobile much of the time. Also, we encountered multiple instances where small groups or single sleds were stopped along the trail, and when given the thumbs up, they responded in kind, so perhaps a little peace of mind may be afforded if trails are visibly patrolled. And there was one guy stopped with an actual mechanical issue. He said he was very near his cottage, though, and did not require any assistance.

It may also be a good idea to have Trail Patrols involved with group rides, as we did yesterday. Easier to keep track of the group if vests are worn. I know it helped me keep track of the flock from the front. I knew to check for nine sleds after mine, then six more after your Trail Patrol vest. From further back in the line it would have been helpful to be able to see the group leaders from a distance. This high visibility could be accomplished by use of any bright clothing, of course, or maybe the use of flags on some of the sleds.

Exactly Blake. I find that when I ride and have my TP vest on the one thing I do more than anything else is help people with information on trail conditions, directions, where to get fuel, good lunch spots, hand out maps (my storage on the sled always has a healthy supply) and other similar things. I have been coming up to C & B105 as an example and can see the intersection from a distance. I have seen people stopped and other sleds ride by. When I get there with my vest on they will flag me down looking for help.

Apparently we also need to thank Ravinerat. We had a Cat get stuck when it decided to explore off the trail. It seems that the method of rolling the sled to one side and pushing snow under the track then rolling it to the other side and doing the same works real well.

*don't try this method with a yamaha unless you're hulk hogan

OMG, u2 with your vest stories - it's really hard to drop a punch line when the other guy doesn't bite. I thought I had something going with Blake's first response but all hope has now diappeared with the last few "vest" postings. Damn you two.

Well I am sorry to say I was at a disadvantage right from the mention of Arsenio....although I did find and considered posting a potentially relevant Aesop's Fables video regarding a man, a boy and a donkey.....but I have been warned not to poke the mouse, even if he might be lurking in another province.

Hi Blake. Is there a group ride this Saturday March 7?

You bet. I will update the schedule very soon. I am thinking we should incorporate some lake running in the March 7 ride.

Sounds great.

Here's the first of what I hope will be three videos of last weekend's Two Club Ride with Baxter and Snowcrest:

02Sled and Blake - thanks for planning this ride. My wife and I had a great time. Great to meet and talk snowmobiling with the Snowcrest crew

(I'll view the video later. Great snow conditions - I'll bet it's awesome).

Here's the second of three videos from last Saturday's ride with Baxter and Snowcrest:

Thanks Blake! The films brought back memories of tabletop trails, blue skies and new acquaintances.

Thanks Blake.... something to watch during the middle of summer when it's too hot and humid to be outside.... we sure lucked out with the weather and trail conditions....

Hi Guys.... just got back from a Sunday/Monday trip up the Blue Mountains...Phew. Spent the night in a farm shed.

It was great meeting up and having a memorable ride again with the Snow Crest and Baxter Club. This is just as memorable as the Pancake Breakfast. Snow Crest did it again :icon_photo:

Met some more snowmobilers from both clubs and some that I had met before.

There was a really great couple I met (no....not BlakeG and 02Sled...hehe) they were riding Yamaha Apex and Vector from the Baxter Group. I had given them advice on putting di-electric grease on the Relay contacts that would assist in cold weather starts.

If anyone knows them, tell them they are an inspiration to me.

It was nice meeting 02Sled again and meeting Canuck and his wife for the first time. Hope we all get to ride again before the winter is over.

Here are a few pics starting from the Muskoka Wharf to Bass Lake Roadhouse.

Hi Guys.... just got back from a Sunday/Monday trip up the Blue Mountains...Phew. Spent the night in a farm shed.

It was great meeting up and having a memorable ride again with the Snow Crest and Baxter Club. This is just as memorable as the Pancake Breakfast. Snow Crest did it again :icon_photo:

Met some more snowmobilers from both clubs and some that I had met before.

There was a really great couple I met (no....not BlakeG and 02Sled...hehe) they were riding Yamaha Apex and Vector from the Baxter Group. I had given them advice on putting di-electric grease on the Relay contacts that would assist in cold weather starts.

If anyone knows them, tell them they are an inspiration to me.

It was nice meeting 02Sled again and meeting Canuck and his wife for the first time. Hope we all get to ride again before the winter is over.

Here are a few pics starting from the Muskoka Wharf to Bass Lake Roadhouse.

That would be Bud & Doreen Knowles. Some of our strongest supporters and long time club members. I will pass along your comment.

That would be Bud & Doreen Knowles. Some of our strongest supporters and long time club members. I will pass along your comment.

Thanks Gary.....much appreciated. I really liked them....great personalities.

Thanks Gary.....much appreciated. I really liked them....great personalities.

Doreen and Bud were recently awarded OFSC Family of the Year.  The award is presented annually to a family voted to have given the most to Ontario's trail system. They're huge contributors to the Baxter club and our District. 

Great meeting you trailside and having a few words at Bass Lake House, Yamaha Fan. I hope our path's cross again.

Here's the second of three videos from last Saturday's ride with Baxter and Snowcrest:

These videos are amazing! Two questions: 

1-Is your speedo reading high? It says you were doing 170 on the ice there but looked like 70km/h? 

2-How is it so amazingly stable? Mine shakes like crazy on event the smallest bumps!? 

My speedo is reading double because of a mechanical problem. If it said 170 I was going 85. Same with my odometer on that sled.

The GoPro is on my helmet, so my head must be somewhat stable. Who knew? Maybe it's the smooth Arctic Cat ride? The first video is almost a gig in size due to higher resolution. It took way too long to post to YouTube. The second video is set to a lower resolution and is a much smaller file.

The GoPro is on my helmet, so my head must be somewhat stable.

-"happens with no neck my friend"

Who knew? Maybe it's the smooth Arctic Cat ride?

really...

see you in morning buddy

My speedo is reading double because of a mechanical problem. If it said 170 I was going 85. Same with my odometer on that sled.

The GoPro is on my helmet, so my head must be somewhat stable. Who knew? Maybe it's the smooth Arctic Cat ride? The first video is almost a gig in size due to higher resolution. It took way too long to post to YouTube. The second video is set to a lower resolution and is a much smaller file.

Yeah mine is on my head and shakes. The stability is exceptional. Must be the suspension. Your make it look so effortless.

Archived