Port Severn

Black Dog

Anyone have a feel for when things will open north of Coldwater? A buddy says they got a good whack of snow but everything is still red- hoping to get up there next weekend.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in Port Severn on the weekend, lots of moving water and wet spots.  Lake had slush on it.

Tons of light snow - C trail was right there and even the locals were not running it

Hopefully after today it will start to freeze up

I packed south to coldwater from Port Severn on Saturday with the BR180. I broke open some pretty nasty mud holes in the process. We are just giving it some time to freeze back up again.

However we tried to pack C-trail north yesterday and our right drive hydraulic line let loose and we came to a dead stop on the trail. Groomer is still there waiting on the part.

Port Severn north will remain closed until the machine is fixed.

We will make a executive decision tonight on trail status.

Keep checking the interactive trail guide for an update.

Thanks Yukon for the detailed updates.  We are waiting for the green light, OOops I mean green trails.  Great job by all the clubs once again!!!

Love this site, get the info right from the source! Thanks for the update Yukon and all the hard work.

Love this site, get the info right from the source! Thanks for the update Yukon and all the hard work.

x2!  These reports help us get the most of limited conditions. Much appreciated.  Too bad about the groomer. Hope its not an expensive fix.

No trouble...

x2! These reports help us get the most of limited conditions. Much appreciated. Too bad about the groomer. Hope its not an expensive fix.

Not a expensive fix just a struggle to get to the hose line at the drive wheel and get the line conected. We needed to get the part and then call in the mechanic to jack the machine up on trail out in this cold. It's minus 30 as I type this.

Oh and the conception is a pressed fitting.

We've opted to keep trails closed until the machine is back up and running. We will likely see our whole system limited for the weekend. As long as the machine is good to go.

We don't want to set people's expectations to high right now going limited...

Baxter is a great club with great trails....get us open from Gibson lake to Honey harbor.....will make my weekend

I can take 6 mile lake but much pefer the C trail through  the provincial park.....

I always enjoy C trail through the park and across the McDonald bridge more than running the ice on 6 mile lake. I use the lake if time is a concern.

actually I hear 6 mile is not safe at  moment.....and not staked.....so avoid

actually I hear 6 mile is not safe at  moment.....and not staked.....so avoid

Correct. Not yet staked. I don't know about the actual ice thickness on 6 mile however Little Lake Port Severn had varying thicknesses last weekend and also wasn't ready to be staked yet. Perhaps this weekend after some of the cold we have had so far.

Bottom line... if you don't know don't go. One of the things that always concerns me is people seeing tracks and assuming it is safe. Someone on a 400 lb sled who weighs 150 lb scoots across the ice at 100 kph and leaves their tracks. Then the 220 lb person on the 600 lb sled sees the tracks, assumes it must be safe and runs the ice at 60 kph.and finds himself going through the ice.

Please stay off the lakes. We havent even thought of staking just yet.

Someone went through the ice 300ft out and in 30ft down on Gloucester pool on Sunday. Through the Narrows between mainland and a island.

Looks like we have a few yellows, cold overnight and cloudy with -5C forecast for Saturday, can't wait to get up there tomorrow! Any updates on the groomer?

Groomer is fixed and trails have been packed with our Beaver tail only. We need more snow. A drag will mess up the base at this point.

If you are on facebook you can follow us on our page.

www.facebook.com/BaxterSnowRiders

Everyone seems to have an awful lot of pent up energy. It's been a while since I've seen so many sleds running up and down C trail along side Lone Pine Rd.

six mile is not staked ye but we went up it because the trails are not good.........the trails are very rough down to big chute and this was before the rain yesterday......not enough snow

there was an accident by beusiloee island...guy rolled his sled on glare ice...broke ribs....we got emergency services over form honey harbour

What the heck are people running the Bay for already?  If the smaller lakes aren't ready yet why would they even chance it?  Sorry to hear about the wreck though.  Broken ribs suck but it could of been worse.

My bad.  Sorry I didn't know that GB was staked in that area yet.  Thanks for the info Yukon.

What the heck are people running the Bay for already?  If the smaller lakes aren't ready yet why would they even chance it?  Sorry to hear about the wreck though.  Broken ribs suck but it could of been worse.

Any body of water that was unfrozen when the big snow came has way better ice than those that were frozen as the snow sitting on top of the ice has insulated it 

Archived