OPP SAVE ISSUING TICKETS

bbakernbay

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great news , i am glad they are out doing there part

Brian, I am trying to figure out how your club deals with volunteers doing trail packing with their sleds. On your club Facebook page on January 6 I read:

"Remember the trails are listed as "UNAVAILABLE" until we get more snow. Experienced sledders in groups of 3 or more can safely help out, especially if you were to trailer to the Sand Dam Parking Lot and go from there. We need to widen out and pack those wetter areas. Remember to bring a tow rope, cell phone, check the weather and dress appropriately."

I'm not trying to be tricky or anything, just wondering how you work it. Obviously the sleds must have permits, but How do you differentiate between sledders doing packing and sledders out for a recreational ride on your UNAVAILABLE trails? Can any group of three ride on the closed trails and say they are packig for the club?

Brian, I am trying to figure out how your club deals with volunteers doing trail packing with their sleds. On your club Facebook page on January 6 I read:

"Remember the trails are listed as "UNAVAILABLE" until we get more snow. Experienced sledders in groups of 3 or more can safely help out, especially if you were to trailer to the Sand Dam Parking Lot and go from there. We need to widen out and pack those wetter areas. Remember to bring a tow rope, cell phone, check the weather and dress appropriately."

I'm not trying to be tricky or anything, just wondering how you work it. Obviously the sleds must have permits, but How do you differentiate between sledders doing packing and sledders out for a recreational ride on your UNAVAILABLE trails? Can any group of three ride on the closed trails and say they are packig for the club?

Great question our answer is that they co-ordinate with the club 

Great question our answer is that they co-ordinate with the club

Our club gets the volunteers contact info, add them to our volunteer list where they will be covered under the ofsc insurance for volunteers. We also tend to direct them on where and when we need them to go.

I like to meet them first before I give them permission to ride on closed trails so they can be instructed on what is required and discuss land use agreements....

Our club gets the volunteers contact info, add them to our volunteer list where they will be covered under the ofsc insurance for volunteers. We also tend to direct them on where and when we need them to go.

I like to meet them first before I give them permission to ride on closed trails so they can be instructed on what is required and discuss land use agreements....

similar to us 

Good advice, thank you.

We will need to get a bit more sophisticated but our problem is lack of Volunteers but that said, they should be protected if they are helping out.

I was on an OFSC conference call with their consultant on Thursday evening which was very well done.

One thing I raised was that way too many Clubs are trying to figure out various things (health & Safety, Groomer Maintenance, Communications, etc.) and in my opinion the OFSC should set up a Forum/Blog so that everyone can share and learn on an internal forum.

That makes sense.

I think people would understand the scope of work involved a lot better if that was made possible.

Good advice, thank you.

We will need to get a bit more sophisticated but our problem is lack of Volunteers but that said, they should be protected if they are helping out.

I was on an OFSC conference call with their consultant on Thursday evening which was very well done.

One thing I raised was that way too many Clubs are trying to figure out various things (health & Safety, Groomer Maintenance, Communications, etc.) and in my opinion the OFSC should set up a Forum/Blog so that everyone can share and learn on an internal forum.

would be a great place  to broadcast the best practices too, it would be great to have an internal resource where we can share info, it would also allow us to learn about the challenges other districts and clubs have. 

And the Province should help everyone out by making the minimum fine $400.

I will second that I was out till after midnight getting a broken groomer in of off the trail and just about jumped out of the cab f my snowclearing tractor when I saw sled without permits on the trail 

I participated on the Internet and phone with 8 others on Thursday evening, a very good session evaluating the strengths, weaknesses, etc of OFSC. It was very well done.

Apparently they are also doing same with some sledders as well.

The Board of Governors were apparently in an all day Strategic Planning session on Friday and the consultant they hired was also supposed to do a session with them as well.

Hopefully we will hear more later.

One of our groups highest priorities was getting a fix on many of the technical snafus that have plagued OFSC over past 3-4 years.

I participated on the Internet and phone with 8 others on Thursday evening, a very good session evaluating the strengths, weaknesses, etc of OFSC. It was very well done.

Apparently they are also doing same with some sledders as well.

The Board of Governors were apparently in an all day Strategic Planning session on Friday and the consultant they hired was also supposed to do a session with them as well.

Hopefully we will hear more later.

One of our groups highest priorities was getting a fix on many of the technical snafus that have plagued OFSC over past 3-4 years.

how about more on trail money or faster groomer replacement 

We had a guy brag on our Facebook page that he is a Freeloader and proud of it and he outran the OPP yesterday and was crazy enough to use his real name and included a photo of his sled with Reg No.

We faxed it to OPP, I hope they will follow up and at least have a chat, if not lay charges.

I seen this on facebook also, couldn't believe some people could be so stupid.  I am glad you sent the info to the OPP, hopefully they get in contact with the guy.

First ride of the season yesterday, OPP set up on Seguin checking for speed, val tags and permits. Great guys doing sledders a favour charging freeloaders and idiots running our trails. Keep up the good work.

I seen this on facebook also, couldn't believe some people could be so stupid.  I am glad you sent the info to the OPP, hopefully they get in contact with the guy.

I hope they charge him for running them he will lose the sled 

I don't know why people don't want to pay a few extra bucks to play legally. They've bought an expensive sled, they put gas & oil in it, they make repairs on it, etc. but they don't want to pay an extra $400-$500 a season for insurance, val tag, and pass...I don't get it!

Had a meeting yesterday with a friendly OPP officer on the B103.  He was using radar and checking sleds for the proper tags.  That is 100% cool and I like seeing them out.

What isn't cool is when everything checks out but they still make you wait while they collect all your drivers licenses and then make you wait while they go back to their cruiser to check you out fishing for stuff.  That is going overboard.   

After 28 years of operating a car I have been pulled over maybe 8 times.  5 or so justified tickets and 3 RIDE spot checks.  On a sled you can meet the coppers that many times in a season and they shouldn't be running our licenses unless they have just cause.  This isn't a communist block country where "papers" can be demanded at their whim.      

Archived