Etec - Is all this reliability bashing justified?

sledzz

Just bought a 2015 Renegade Etec 600. Have read many posts about the engines not being reliable?? Is this justified or is it only the problematic ones being reported / talked about?? I am not one to really push it to its limit, just a touring type. Let me know what your thoughts are, and things I should watch for to have a trouble free Etec experience.

Thanks!

the newer ones are better the issue is that when they fail they cost a bundle. They have been built now for six seasons lots of improvements have occurred it would be a good idea to get the extended warranty use their oil only and follow meticulously their recommendations.  

...or buy polaris

Just bought a 2015 Renegade Etec 600. Have read many posts about the engines not being reliable?? Is this justified or is it only the problematic ones being reported / talked about?? I am not one to really push it to its limit, just a touring type. Let me know what your thoughts are, and things I should watch for to have a trouble free Etec experience.

Thanks!

As for reliability, I think the 600 is better than the 800..

the newer ones are better the issue is that when they fail they cost a bundle. They have been built now for six seasons lots of improvements have occurred it would be a good idea to get the extended warranty use their oil only and follow meticulously their recommendations.  

X2. break in is important, as to how you ride it..

Remember there is double the amount of etecs on the snow than all other current engines combined. The more there are the more issues you hear of. I've had 2 600's and 1 800. Not 1 issue. Run good gas and follow maintaines and yiu shouldn't have an issue.

...or buy polaris

this is not a time to make jokes..lol...

...or buy polaris

this is not a time to make jokes..lol...

touche...lol

Just traded in my 2012 Renegade ETEC 600 with 14,300 km and I had 0 problems

The 600 etec is dead nuts reliable. I would drop my 800 etec and get a 600 without even thinking.

Just wait til your sitting at the side of the gas station while all your buddies fill up and you don't need fuel.

Thanks!

Sledzz even though I am a diehard POLARIS enthusiast, those 600 etecs seem to be pretty darn good.  I wouldn't worry.  I agree with the posts above by Wild Bill and IQ turbo.  Do what the manufacture requires you to do.  I am a firm believer of using the recommended oil and fuel, plus a good maintenance program.  Just ride it and enjoy it!!!!

Remember there is double the amount of etecs on the snow than all other current engines combined. The more there are the more issues you hear of. I've had 2 600's and 1 800. Not 1 issue. Run good gas and follow maintaines and yiu shouldn't have an issue.

Yup, it's pure statistics.

Just bought a 2015 Renegade 800, and my bother has an older MXZ 600 etec with 12k+ kms and no issues. It's a solid engine, and there's a reason it's the most popular on the market!

It's been suggested before... follow the manufacturers recommendations. I see things on the forums like how do I break in my new sled and people come back run it fast and hard. For me... read the owners manual and follow the instructions. I see people pull sleds off trailers and before they have a chance to warm up it's throttle down and off they go. I see people spend a pile of money on a new sled then cheap out on the oil looking for the cheapest they can find. Then they wonder why they have problems after riding it hard all the time.

I'm a diehard 'doo guy, but after having an '07 series 3 motor take out it's PTO bearing on the 1st ride of the 2nd season (after summerizing) & paying for the repair out of pocket, I'm in no hurry to "test" BRP's products. I was a guinea pig in '04 (the 1st year of the SDI) w/ an ill performing sled. Basically took a season & a half  of updates to get to run correctly.

IMO, the whole "1 jug of oil for a season" doesn't impress me. 

Etec 600 is arguably the most reliable 2 stroke made today.  Brp now includes the longest warranty on sleds available on spring break.  This says something about their sleds.  The failure rate of the 800s is now below 2%, and the 600 is below that.  When you do the math, BRP is heads and tails above the rest of the pack.  Poo failure rates are still above the 6% range as of 2012.    Im an american, and would not touch an american made/engineered sled again, I rode a cat procross for two seasons and it was the biggest pile of junk ever designed, and cat still to this day sells the same exact pile of junk with TCL that wont keep a belt aligned or heat down.  

Once you ride a Rmotion sled, and get the best MPG by far available on any 2 stroke, you will never venture off to other brands.  I tried that and was shocked what its like to own something that was engineered in USA.  And being a yankee I can say, the frenchmen up in Quebec know how to engineer a sled.  

Only thing more reliable then a 600etec, is a ACE 4 stroke or 1200, BRP has the market by far on all motors with over 40% of market share, and not looking back.  Poos are still too buzzy, loud and unrefined....bars will numb your hands.  

And you dont need to use XPS oil...i hate the smell and never use it, amsoil interceptor is a fave of many etec owners as well as shell advance snow ultra.  

We used to have Yamaha as being a reliable alternative to BRP, but sadly they have become junk quickly merging with cat.  Just watch Yellowknifes youtube vids and see what garbage those Vipers are.

Brp now includes the longest warranty on sleds available on spring break.

Why should the warranty be a "bonus" of buying a Spring Break sled? It should be on all of their sleds regardless of when they were purchased or ordered.

As for reliability, I think the 600 is better than the 800..

Absolutely true.  I would go on record and say that I'd never EVER own an 800 Doo, carb or otherwise.  This coming from a certified Ski-doo Master Technician.  600 E-Tec, no worries.  800, better ride it like an old lady, because when pushed hard for extended periods (like I see up here, guys running the rivers with them pegged for an hour straight) they'll fail.  AND they buzz and vibrate 3 times more than the 600's do.

Follow their recommendations, use Fuel Stabilizer when storing (and whenever using questionable gas), use at least BRP synthetic oil, or a better alternative if you think it exists (which I've never seen).  Don't use any oil that's blue, every sled that I see burns down has blue oil in the tank, whatever the manufacturer.

All internal combustion engines have a the chance to fail, and all makes will. As mentioned, the difference is the cost to repair. As for the fuel consumption comments, I have seen otherwise, ride it like you stole it, you will save 5 bucks in fuel over my sled and dump in just as much oil. I ride with plenty of 6/800 etecs, if they are in the same zip code, they are usin it.

By the way, I have never seen a sled of any make that wasn't junk, the thing is, they are just so damn fun to ride.

We used to have Yamaha as being a reliable alternative to BRP, but sadly they have become junk quickly merging with cat.  Just watch Yellowknifes youtube vids and see what garbage those Vipers are.

If we are talking motor reliability isn't the Viper using one of the most reliable ever? Granted it's not a 2-stroke but just sayin'.

Ya it sucks Yamaha merged with cat, but a four stroke Yamaha engine is the most reliable engine out there. I've never seen or heard of a four stroke doo engine getting 80,000 + km on it. I've heard of guys getting 30,000km on the two strokes from both doo & yami without rebuilds....it all depends on how you maintain it. I'm sure two stroke doos are a great engine and will last longer the better you maintain it...like anything else, but they cost a fortune to rebuild.

how is that working out for you?

great,just have to buy new every couple yrs because of innovative improvements Polaris makes yr to yr...o boy

heavy throttle. plumber's grip.

Archived