What sled do you ride?

ontariof7

whitedragon; this ones for you.....

post-19812-0-22837100-1418997824_thumb.jpg

good one,seen that last look a few times...usually when repair bill comes in

good one,seen that last look a few times...usually when repair bill comes in

Oh? I would not know anything about that. Still wondering why I have tools in my trunk too!

1540272_10152954068001974_29072789875441

Here's what we rode yesterday.  1970 Alpine, 1990 Cheyenne.  The Alpine is new to us, the wifes' Uncle / Godfather passed it on to us as a gift, he's getting up in age and doesn't have the patience to fiddle with sleds anymore.  I honestly don't need anything else for Christmas, this is all I need to be happy !!!

Don't mind the heavy exaust smoke, I mixed it about 30:1 for the first bit, it sat for about 12 years in his greenhouse shed, I wanted to give it a chance ...  :D

that alpine is a great gift

Great sled Denis. It's in the right hands now.

that is cool I have never seen one that oldin that good a condition 

The wifes' uncle gave us this.  He had an Olympique 12 horse around the same age, and the matching ski-boose (which we now have), gave the sled to my BIL.  A year later he stupidly traded it for a $ 200 plow for his quad, or some other scrap.  I could have beat him senseless.

Great sled Denis. It's in the right hands now.

Thank you Leaf, I tend to think so myself.  I'm more than grateful that he thought so well of us to pass it along in the family, and glad he can ride it anytime he comes up to Hearst.  He's good people, I love him to death.

nice sled ,what a work horse.my first sled was a 1971 olympique 335

1540272_10152954068001974_29072789875441

Here's what we rode yesterday. 1970 Alpine, 1990 Cheyenne. The Alpine is new to us, the wifes' Uncle / Godfather passed it on to us as a gift, he's getting up in age and doesn't have the patience to fiddle with sleds anymore. I honestly don't need anything else for Christmas, this is all I need to be happy !!!

Don't mind the heavy exaust smoke, I mixed it about 30:1 for the first bit, it sat for about 12 years in his greenhouse shed, I wanted to give it a chance ... :D

That Cheyenne is frocking mint!!!!(here the word actually applies!)

That Cheyenne is frocking mint!!!!(here the word actually applies!)

Thanks Aaron, it is !  We fixed up the front of the cab a bit this fall, changed the windshield, and I refreshed the top end with a .010" oversize to tighten it up this fall.  Rings were whipped and it was sucking air from the crank seals and crankcase.  Re-sealed the engine and oversized it, now you only need about 8 inches of pull cord to start it up ....   :D   Other than the belt and 2 idlers, I think the whole sled is original ...  oh, and I put on a 2-up seat from a Safari too, more comfy ride for the kids !

Here's another pic of both sleds .....

10856569_761144417288295_359256897578143

You'll notice that the rear sits up higher than normal, I put a block to drop the skidframe about 3 inches lower for more ride-height and snow clearance.  This thing is just silly in deep snow, goes anywhere a Summit does, and does so without spinning.  I've got a set of 8" wide ski skins coming for it, for more floatation in deep snow.  The OEM skis are about 3 1/2 inches wide and sink easily, making the thing tippy.  That'll be fixed soon !!!

Good lookin old iron there Denis!  You can pretty much start grooming trail for the club with that beauty.

Thanks Andre, it is !  Last time I worked on this thing about 12 years ago, it had sat for so long that you couldn't tell the difference between the fuel hose and the hardened fuel that was in it ... both were hard like concrete !   This time was about 3 hours from dead to running, just a carb clean, flush the tank and lines, and LOTS of loose-nut on the clutches and shafts !!!  

We rode it around the BIL's property yesterday, 2 passes and the trails were packed !!!  We're going to re-paint all the tub, and maybe the cab too, next year and give the underside a complete going-over, changing everything that looks questionable.  Hard to believe that it's so functional after 12 years sitting in a shed.  The uncle DID think to pull it over once in a while to make sure it didn't jam in the top end, and it shows.  It too only needs a light pull to start up, my 10 year old can fire it up !

Thanks Aaron, it is !  We fixed up the front of the cab a bit this fall, changed the windshield, and I refreshed the top end with a .010" oversize to tighten it up this fall.  Rings were whipped and it was sucking air from the crank seals and crankcase.  Re-sealed the engine and oversized it, now you only need about 8 inches of pull cord to start it up ....   :D   Other than the belt and 2 idlers, I think the whole sled is original ...  oh, and I put on a 2-up seat from a Safari too, more comfy ride for the kids !

Here's another pic of both sleds .....

10856569_761144417288295_359256897578143

You'll notice that the rear sits up higher than normal, I put a block to drop the skidframe about 3 inches lower for more ride-height and snow clearance.  This thing is just silly in deep snow, goes anywhere a Summit does, and does so without spinning.  I've got a set of 8" wide ski skins coming for it, for more floatation in deep snow.  The OEM skis are about 3 1/2 inches wide and sink easily, making the thing tippy.  That'll be fixed soon !!!

Thanks Andre, it is !  Last time I worked on this thing about 12 years ago, it had sat for so long that you couldn't tell the difference between the fuel hose and the hardened fuel that was in it ... both were hard like concrete !   This time was about 3 hours from dead to running, just a carb clean, flush the tank and lines, and LOTS of loose-nut on the clutches and shafts !!!  

We rode it around the BIL's property yesterday, 2 passes and the trails were packed !!!  We're going to re-paint all the tub, and maybe the cab too, next year and give the underside a complete going-over, changing everything that looks questionable.  Hard to believe that it's so functional after 12 years sitting in a shed.  The uncle DID think to pull it over once in a while to make sure it didn't jam in the top end, and it shows.  It too only needs a light pull to start up, my 10 year old can fire it up !

Great shot of the old iron Denis..

Good lookin old iron there Denis!  You can pretty much start grooming trail for the club with that beauty.

X2

Archived