Sault Ste. Marie - Tourism Survey

Dan-Senior

Dear Sledding Friends,

IMPORTANT FOR SNOWMOBILING IN SAULT STE. MARIE

If you have a minute, can you please answer the very important survey questions about tourism in Sault Ste. Marie. Unfortunately, the survey does not focus on snowmobiling in particular, but on page #3, Question #8, there's a section where you can write comments.

As you maybe aware, the Snowmobile Club has been working hard to open up more sledding access into the City, but it's a real challenge and City Hall doesn't seem to be too excited.

Did you know Sault Ste. Marie has approximately 29 motels / hotels and sledders can legally access ONLY 1 of these, due to city bylaws and other issues.

I did not prepare this survey, it is being conducted by Tourism Sault Ste. Marie. Thank you. Here is the survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GHX29YM

Dan - not much opportunity to relate any specific sledding information the way this survey is worded. Considering a trip to the area based from St. Joseph Island ( I think) but not able to put this in. Maybe you guys need a sled specific survey?

On the purely anecdotal evidence side, one thing I am noticing while sledding different areas of Ontario, is that the sledding trails seem to be better if partnered or have some affiliation with other users of the trails - multiple use trails for example. The horse, bicycling, jogging, etc. people like the idea that the trails are maintained. The winter users, other than sledders, like the grooming.

Those are some good points Slomo!

Unfortunately, the creator of the survey didn't have snowmobiling on their radar when they prepared the survey. The questions are too limited and narrow, however, page #3, question #8 has a section to let them hear what you think.

I like how Elliot Lake has a shared trail system for walkers, snowmobilers during the winter.  

Some of you were looking for snow to test your snowmobiles.  Sledding is in full swing north of Searchmont and has been since November 12th.  I understand, it is a long and difficult ride from Southern Ontario or lower Michigan, however, you are good to go, if you trailer to Searchmont and up the Whitman Dam road to the parking lot.  There was a fair share of vehicle-sled-trailer traffic in town last weekend.  Looks like out-of-town visitors.  

For us, we are back on the trails this weekend.  My daughter has been out 3 times and has more sled time than myself.

Another 15-20cm heading Searchmont way in the next few days.  I'll try and get an update on here by Thursday.

Attached is a map I modified to show what is rideable.  The green is about 250 miles of sledding.  The red is the Ranger Lake Road which is for vehicle traffic and is nice to have when a sled breaks down and knowing you can rescue it without too much difficulty.

We fill our sleds before leaving the Sault, since there's no fuel in Searchmont.

Directions:  Head to Searchmont and turn right at the Searchmont Trading Post (Closed) and head up the Whitman Dam road until you reach the Bus Turn-Around (about 5 kms up from Searchmont).  Unload from there.

post-22452-0-78795900-1417563546_thumb.jpg

Cool how many are riding there ?

Great idea!

Searchmont at 3:50 pm.  The lower end of the Whitman Dam road in red in the diagram.  

post-22452-0-71461600-1417640279_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-18614300-1417640554_thumb.jpg

TRAILS OPEN as "Limited Availability"

The D201F Trail just opened tonight as "Limited Availability".  95 miles (152 kms) of groomed trail.  Tremendous dedication by the Sault Trailblazers to get this trail open so early in the Season.  A huge thank you to Greg and Eric for grooming 17 hours non-stop and started at 3 a.m this morning, Also thanks to John for legwork and coordinating and Rodney and Phil for working to get the groomer ready.

Here's a screenshot of the club website that was just updated a few minutes ago.  This links Searchmont to Aubrey Falls / Black Creek.

A Big weekend of snowmobiling coming up as the word is now out.

post-22452-0-46267700-1417660963_thumb.jpg

sweet...thx to all involved

TRAILS OPEN as "Limited Availability"

The D201F Trail just opened tonight as "Limited Availability".  95 miles (152 kms) of groomed trail.  Tremendous dedication by the Sault Trailblazers to get this trail open so early in the Season.  A huge thank you to Greg and Eric for grooming 17 hours non-stop and started at 3 a.m this morning, Also thanks to John for legwork and coordinating and Rodney and Phil for working to get the groomer ready.

Here's a screenshot of the club website that was just updated a few minutes ago.  This links Searchmont to Aubrey Falls / Black Creek.

A Big weekend of snowmobiling coming up as the word is now out.

Great job guys

Congratulations.... the early opening may encourage some to buy your permits.

Thanks to the volunteers that have made this possible

Interesting that the OFSC map page shows in print at the top right  "Available Trails 184KM."  but the trail system on the map is still all red. Not very helpful info.if they don't show where those trails are.

Interesting that the OFSC map page shows in print at the top right  "Available Trails 184KM."  but the trail system on the map is still all red. Not very helpful info.if they don't show where those trails are.

you have to zoom in on the right areas

you have to zoom in on the right areas

I had zoomed in Bill but I must have looked at it while they were updating it. I just looked again and it is now yellow.

Updates from the Sault Trailblazers. - Friday Dec. 5th

54 kilometres of the D201F trail switched from Yellow to Green overnight.

post-22452-0-51110700-1417779731_thumb.jpg

Updates from the Sault Trailblazers. - Friday Dec. 5th

54 kilometres of the D201F trail switched from Yellow to Green overnight.

Wow... fantastic.... a tip of the helmet to all the volunteers who have made this possible. There is so much that needs to be done beyond just getting the snow and grooming to get to where you are so early in the season.

A video of our snowmobile trip from Searchmont to Aubrey Falls this past Sunday on the new D201F Trail.

very nice to watch,great early season ride...thx for sharing dan

thank you Dan! Ski

Thanks for sharing.  Lots of sleds out.

Great video and thanks for sharing!!! Sure beats the rain in Barrie today!!

Archived