Uclear Helmet Communicator

sledzz

Hi!

I have narrowed my search for a helmet communicator down to the Scala G9 and the Uclear HBC200. The boomless mic looks like a great idea, only concern is how they would work in a snug  fitting snowmobile helmet??? All info that I can find online pertains to motorcycles... Any experience or info on these two units would be appreciated. Thank you

Sledzz

I was talking to a guy that sells them and I asked that exact quesion.  He says no issue with Uclear in a full snowmobile helmet.

Those units look real nice I would like to try one before shelling out that type of cash

For me I wouldn't buy a unit that has a huge mic arm,  just looks stupid IMO

When a communicator has several models for different helmet styles they usually recommend that for a full face unit the mic should be on a wire and can be placed in the helmet in front of the mouth. For an open or modular helmet they usually recommend the mic on a boom.

We use GMRS walkie talkies and you can buy the speakers/mic with either a boom or wired mic. Our group all have modular helmets and use the wired mics. and not booms. The mic can be attached to the cheek cushion, usually on the front facing edge so that it is near your mouth. We have not had any issues with this set up.

I think having the mic on a boom would just be in the way.

Do you use the "push to talk" button strapped to the handlebar for the gmrs radios or the voice activated mic? do you find that there are a lot of wires to connect / disconnect when getting on / off sled? I have also thought about the gmrs setup, would have good distance. thanks

When a communicator has several models for different helmet styles they usually recommend that for a full face unit the mic should be on a wire and can be placed in the helmet in front of the mouth. For an open or modular helmet they usually recommend the mic on a boom.

We use GMRS walkie talkies and you can buy the speakers/mic with either a boom or wired mic. Our group all have modular helmets and use the wired mics. and not booms. The mic can be attached to the cheek cushion, usually on the front facing edge so that it is near your mouth. We have not had any issues with this set up.

I think having the mic on a boom would just be in the way.

I have the U-Clear units and they work great as Blue Tooth music device or as a communicator and even to answer incoming calls (yes I have done it) my only complaint with them is that while listening to music you cannot interrupt the music to use it as a communicator easily as you have to tap and hold the unit on the helmet. Not easily done at speed as you need to remove your gloves to do this. I really impressed how long the batteries last in them.

If you strictly want them for a communicator they work well.

Wildbill on this forum sells them.

Hope that helps

Do you use the "push to talk" button strapped to the handlebar for the gmrs radios or the voice activated mic? do you find that there are a lot of wires to connect / disconnect when getting on / off sled? I have also thought about the gmrs setup, would have good distance. thanks

The GMRS also allows more of a 'open' compatibility, which I am not sure you can get with the higher frequency bands units.

We use the PTT. When we had the old Collett's they used the VOX option. We hated it. Wind noise would turn them on if you coughed they turned on, just a general PITA. Using a PTT does mean a cable hookup between the rider and sled but it is a minor issue compared to our dislike of the VOX set up. If you use a heated shield remembering to disconnect both cables is not a problem.

I have used the Uclear for three seasons now and they have always worked perfectly as communicators. Also, being able to answer the phone by just saying hello has been helpful on several occasions.

Hi!

I have narrowed my search for a helmet communicator down to the Scala G9 and the Uclear HBC200. The boomless mic looks like a great idea, only concern is how they would work in a snug  fitting snowmobile helmet??? All info that I can find online pertains to motorcycles... Any experience or info on these two units would be appreciated. Thank you

Sledzz

They have an earbud model too 

IMO anything with a cable that is exposed to the cold will eventually break.  I have gone through several headphones, PTT, NoPhone and they all are broken from the cold, expect that last one, it was just plain poor design with over-promise and extreme under-deliver.

The Uclear, and others that have Bluetooth for you connection should last longer as there are no cable to flex and break in the cold.

IMO anything with a cable that is exposed to the cold will eventually break.  I have gone through several headphones, PTT, NoPhone and they all are broken from the cold, expect that last one, it was just plain poor design with over-promise and extreme under-deliver.

The Uclear, and others that have Bluetooth for you connection should last longer as there are no cable to flex and break in the cold.

I have never had a cable break from the cold. If you are worried about cold affecting a cable you should be really concerned about any communicator that is mounted to the side of your helmet and is exposed to the bitter cold elements. With a GMRS it gets tucked away in a relatively warm pocket (the protected batteries will last longer too).

I have never had a cable break from the cold. If you are worried about cold affecting a cable you should be really concerned about any communicator that is mounted to the side of your helmet and is exposed to the bitter cold elements. With a GMRS it gets tucked away in a relatively warm pocket (the protected batteries will last longer too).

I usually had the issue where the cable flexed at the helmet.

I was checking into Scala as a couple friends have them and they seem to like them. The website shows the G9 for snowmobiles and the G9X for bikes so I asked what the difference was and they said that the G9 software was tuned to help reduce the noise associated with snowmobiles but the G9X wasn't, and the G9X has 2 mic options where the G9 didn't. Seems like the G9X would be the better option, especially if you have a 4 stroke that sounds like a street bike anyway.

I was checking into Scala as a couple friends have them and they seem to like them. The website shows the G9 for snowmobiles and the G9X for bikes so I asked what the difference was and they said that the G9 software was tuned to help reduce the noise associated with snowmobiles but the G9X wasn't, and the G9X has 2 mic options where the G9 didn't. Seems like the G9X would be the better option, especially if you have a 4 stroke that sounds like a street bike anyway.

We tried them both on the sleds. When they did work I didn't notice a difference in them. We used them with 4 stroke sleds in -20C or colder and they would work for a few minutes when we went outside and then nothing. Freezing up we thought. I think the idea of having a unit inside your coat or at least the battery inside is likely better than hanging on the outside of helmet at warp 7 in -20C or colder weather.

A couple good reviews, mine is the SMH-10 shown on the middle of the table in the first video.  Battery life was about 6 hours in -15 temps.

Archived