Baysville Express (Closed )

Muskoka Man

Just talked to Ted from Happy Wanderers ,MNR is shutting down a Bailey bridge on the south end of 102b in bigwind park for this winter , The Baysville Express will be closed ,you will have to go over 45 to 101 south back to B ,Bummer 

The new decking is sitting at the shop and they were going to redo it right after hunting ,Gov doesnt want Baily Bridges on there land in the park 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gov doesnt want Bailey Bridges on there land in the park 

I wonder why? Paudash was able to use 1 to cross Eel's Creek north of Aplsey on E107 2 years ago (had to get MNR approval).

The bloody things were designed to support a Sherman tank! 

I wonder why? Paudash was able to use 1 to cross Eel's Creek north of Aplsey on E107 2 years ago (had to get MNR approval).

The bloody things were designed to support a Sherman tank!

Maybe. But not a Yamaha !

Anyway it is shut down for 2015 

More to it than that we have several bailey bridges on govt land 

Are they in Provincial Parks Though 

The fellow from the MNR that gave the bad news was a sledder also , the decision came from above him , we are going out brushing as soon as the hunting is over

The fellow from the MNR that gave the bad news was a sledder also , the decision came from above him , we are going out brushing as soon as the hunting is over

I believe that it came from above the MNR has a non motorized leadership right now 

We deal with MNR for work alot , they are difficult to deal with to say the least , this is why there is so much illegal shoreline work,dock building and so on , to get permits for this stuff is a long procedure and no gaurentee of approval 

Just talked to Ted from Happy Wanderers ,MNR is shutting down a Bailey bridge on the south end of 102b in bigwind park for this winter , The Baysville Express will be closed ,you will have to go over 45 to 101 south back to B ,Bummer 

The new decking is sitting at the shop and they were going to redo it right after hunting ,Gov doesnt want Baily Bridges on there land in the park 

OMG I love that trail so much.  Sorry to hear that.  Hopefully the bridge is back up in 2015/2016 season.  Darn MNR.  They really like to make it miserable for others.  Thanks for the info Muskoka Man

• 2 weeks later...

The bridge is physically gone ,anyone thinking of off trail riding down there this winter will not get over the huge opening ,not sure how well it is marked right now,we will maybe get a look in a couple weeks when doing trail prep over that way 

• 3 weeks later...

I was told that it was actually the Ministry of Labour that decided the bridge was not up to standard.

I was told that it was actually the Ministry of Labour that decided the bridge was not up to standard.

Kind of sounds like there was a complaint from somebody about it. Most enforcement is a result of complaints.

What does the  MOL have to do with a Bridge?  They need to GTFOD!

GTFOOD = Get the F^&k Out of Dodge

What does the  MOL have to do with a Bridge?  They need to GTFOD!

GTFOOD = Get the F^&k Out of Dodge

It is possible that a groomer operator who is paid and therefore an employee could file a complaint with the MOL under the Occupational Health & Safety Act that he is required to drive a groomer across a bridge that he feels isn't safe. Or perhaps someone with a grudge against the club. Maybe a former groomer operator.

It is possible that a groomer operator who is paid and therefore an employee could file a complaint with the MOL under the Occupational Health & Safety Act that he is required to drive a groomer across a bridge that he feels isn't safe. Or perhaps someone with a grudge against the club. Maybe a former groomer operator.

It would have to be a complaint they would not look that far in the woods otherwise

It would have to be a complaint they would not look that far in the woods otherwise

It was NOT the Minisrty of Labour - it was the MNR and they were responsible for the bridge being removed.

I have rechecked my original source, and spoken with DWITGH RX. It turns out that the MNR and MOL were both involved in closing the bridge.

Im guessing this is the one, we ride this trail(old Wagon road) on our fall ride every year, these were from 2013 and it looked pretty tough then. Pic.s stole from riding partner.

10025021476_181657324a.jpg20130927_27 by intotheabis, on Flickr

10024993556_64f5c9d9de.jpg20130927_29 by intotheabis, on Flickr

Bummer I loved this trail too.

Cheers, Todd

that is not a bailey bridge

no motorized vehicles in bigwind Park in the summer ,  :-o 

Archived