Trailer Advice

GeorgianBayGuy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Wildbill and Catinental , I knew it was borderline.......but I am definitely not commercial, just hauling my tractor to my daughter's house to help with new construction yardwork twice a year. I go by one weigh scales at Elliot Lake turnoff (that is not often open) and the other one is just south of Calendar on Hwy11 and I turn off to my daughters three hundred yards after those scales.....so risk is low.

Always use proper chains and mirrors , just don't want the hassle especcially when I see 90 year old guys can be pulling 40 ft travel trailers with a boat behind that without any concern about MTO.

• 2 years later...
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2014 at 9:28 PM, volunteer2 said:

Yup clear as mud is right.  That is the understanding I have as well.  The only additional info I have is when the trailer transmits to the ground less than 2800kg then tongue weight of the trailer is added to the registered weight of the truck.

logoLarge.gif siteNameEN.gif

banner_trucks.jpg
crumbHomeIcon.gif
Home > Trucks and Buses >Determining Registered Gross Weights for Trucks Towing Light Duty Trailers

Text size plusIcon.gif minusIcon.gif
Search searchIcon.gif  |  

Determining Registered Gross Weights for Trucks Towing Light Duty Trailers

The registered gross weight (RGW) determines the fee paid for truck licence plates. The truck's RGW is based on, and must be at least equal to the actual weight of the truck, or truck and trailer(s) and load(s). A trailer permit does not have a RGW. Generally the weight of a towed trailer(s) and its load are added to the RGW of the truck. Load includes the driver, passengers, fuel, equipment, tools, cargo, equipment, etc. carried in the truck and trailer.

The RGW is indicated on the right portion (plate portion) of a truck's ownership, to the right of "REG. GROSS WT" and is in kilograms (kg). One kilogram equals 2.204 pounds and one pound equals .4536 (kg).

"Truck" includes pickups and business type vans with truck licence plates. Farm plated trucks are subject to the same RGW rules.

The "Vehicle Permits Regulation", made under the Highway Traffic Act, provides an exemption for light trailers, specifically;

To determine how much an attached trailer transmits to the highway, and to determine how much a truck should be registered for:"where a trailer transmits to the highway a total weight of 2,800 kilograms (6,173 lb.) or less, that weight shall not be included in determining registered gross weight".

Weigh the trailer only, with the trailer attached to the truck.

Illustration One - Weight A

weight_a.gif

Weigh the truck only, with the trailer attached.

Illustration Two - Weight B

weight_b.gif

1. If the trailer weighs more than 2,800 kg (6,171 lb.);

Register the truck for at least the combined weight of the truck and trailer, weights A and B.

2. If the trailer weighs 2,800 kg (6,171 lb.) or less;

Register the truck for at least the weight of the truck (weight B), which includes trailer tongue weight. Weight transmitted directly to the ground, by the trailer, is not included in the RGW.

found some older info  that I thought I would pull up    hopefully helps a bit

To make it simple, ditch the pickup and get an SUV. No regs if you're using a passenger vehicle plate. 

Well Bearcat, the MTO regulations that were sent to my Inspection Station differ from your statement in that if vehicle, trailer

and load exceed 9500 lbs. or 4500 kg then both units need to be inspected. Many SUVs will not handle that kind or weight nor will the tires so making a dangerous situation. In this case it would be less than honourable for a technician to sign an annual inspection form and issue a yellow sticker.

51 minutes ago, Bearcat_w said:

To make it simple, ditch the pickup and get an SUV. No regs if you're using a passenger vehicle plate. 

Depends on the trailer you're towing. i.e. My wife's horse trailer is tandem axle at 3500 lbs per axle. The trailer requires an inspection sticker based on the weight rating. If you're driving a vehicle that on its own doesn't need an inspection, it now does when pulling the trailer that requires and has an inspection sticker.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:30 AM, Bearcat_w said:

Buddy has a Suburban and 4 bed enclosed triton    Yellow stickers on both

1 hour ago, volunteer2 said:

Buddy has a Suburban and 4 bed enclosed triton    Yellow stickers on both

Yikes, wouldn't want the gas bill with that setup.

It makes me so glad I can leave from my backyard.

Archived