Trailer Advice

GeorgianBayGuy

I have a Triton TC 11 which has been great, easy to use, nice size etc.  However, at 8' wide I have trouble seeing around it on the highway with my medium sized SUV (no snazzy extending mirrors). On top of that it isn't exactly aerodynamic. 

So thinking about upgrading to the TC 16 which is longer, narrower and but means you have to stagger the sleds.  Anyone out there own one and has an opinion?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Triton PR147.  

The drive on drive off is good, but you need to have room for access from the front and the rear.  That can be tricky.

The ability to drive without extended mirrors is the best feature.  Fuel economy is not going to be your justification.  Little if any difference.

I think irREVerent has a TC16.  When he is done walking on his head, he may chime in.

I quite like my double offset - is it a TC16? I guess it is. Same as irREVerent. Visibility is much better than the former 12 foot double clamshell Triton. There is lots of room for things other than sleds in front of the back sled and behind the forward sled. Get one with a side "man door" to optimize interior access. Tows well. No regrets!

Get a bigger tow vechile. I actually get better fuel economy using a sliverado to tow my 8 foot wide trailer too. It pushes the air out of the way and tows like a dream. I can actually see by, since the truck is almost as wide as the trailer. Worked for me.

i got 17" v nose allum Legend(12+5ramp nose) for past 5 yrs and its a narrow  and extremely good on everything includind gas. i sold my double trailer triton after changing every season 2-3 flat fatty tires....pain in the neck to deal with tire wrenching on highway as well as v nose was good for my razor or 2 atvs or moving my crap when i sold a house. helped me huge. make sure you get alluminum not steel and get dual axle for smooth ride

i got 17" v nose allum Legend(12+5ramp nose) for past 5 yrs and its a narrow  and extremely good on everything includind gas. i sold my double trailer triton after changing every season 2-3 flat fatty tires....pain in the neck to deal with tire wrenching on highway as well as v nose was good for my razor or 2 atvs or moving my crap when i sold a house. helped me huge. make sure you get alluminum not steel and get dual axle for smooth ride

Doesn't dual axle put you above the legal weight limit and need certification of the trailer and tow vechile every winter. I know at least one board member was grumpy when the cops pulled him over and fined him for not having the yearly certfication. It isn't what you have in the trailer, it is what it is able to haul plus tow vechile weight.

Doesn't dual axle put you above the legal weight limit and need certification of the trailer and tow vechile every winter. I know at least one board member was grumpy when the cops pulled him over and fined him for not having the yearly certfication. It isn't what you have in the trailer, it is what it is able to haul plus tow vechile weight.

Combined 9,800 pounds. Aluminum double axle trailer will put you under that but good point instead of having a full size truck to pull a large trailer people pull it with a Small SUV. Wonder which is safer. From the stand point of my fullsize being just under 6,000 pounds pulling a trailer that is say just under 4000 pound is a better truck to trailer ratio then a 3,500pd SUV pulling the same trailer. Both are rated for that much weight so don't go there, just a thought.

As far as what it is able to haul I think the trailer is rated for 6,000 pds total. I know my truck and trailer with sleds and two people is just under 9,800, barely!

I think irREVerent has a TC16.  When he is done walking on his head, he may chime in.

LOL...Greetings from downunder...back in another week, but in meantime, i can confirm that mine is a TC167, and similar to STG, I'm very happy with it.  Tows well, lots of room inside, lots of flexibility to carry other stuff.  Highly recommend it...and get the optional side door, as STG says.

You will have less wind resistance and better visibility as well a longer trailer is easier to back up. As for the certification it goes off of a combined vehicle weight of 4500 kg truck trailer registered or real weight. Best not to register light to get away without it some OPP and al MTO green hornets carry portable scales the fine for over weight is really unpleasant.

The brake pads on these trailer brakes are bonded andhave a bad habit of falling off and jamming the wheels in my opinion they should be serviced every fall anyway so certification and therefore yellow tag is not a big deal

Downsized from Triton 18-7 to TC 16 (went from 3 to 2 sleds) Tows very well. 1000 lbs lights than previous trailer,Better fuel economy, puts me just under limit for annual certification,

Only downside now have to back sleds out, drive-drive out is a lot easier.

What was the issue with the tires? I just bought a XT 101 just interested, thanks

What was the issue with the tires? I just bought a XT 101 just interested, thanks

me also

the little baby tires (short fatty's) don't last long, due to the speed and heat generated when towing at higher speeds. add in a little over weight, and they will chunk out, or delaminate. Ski

the little baby tires (short fatty's) don't last long, due to the speed and heat generated when towing at higher speeds. add in a little over weight, and they will chunk out, or delaminate. Ski

Never had an issue with them. I only tow a few thousand Km's a winter though. It is more the bearings I find in bad shape and had one sieze about 8 years ago and was smoke coming off the tire cause it stopped rotating. Now I check and service bearings every few years and carry a spare hub with me just in case.

often it is a quality issue combined with load capacity and air pressure issues 

You will have less wind resistance and better visibility as well a longer trailer is easier to back up. As for the certification it goes off of a combined vehicle weight of 4500 kg truck trailer registered or real weight. Best not to register light to get away without it some OPP and al MTO green hornets carry portable scales the fine for over weight is really unpleasant.

The brake pads on these trailer brakes are bonded andhave a bad habit of falling off and jamming the wheels in my opinion they should be serviced every fall anyway so certification and therefore yellow tag is not a big deal

Register light? How would you do that? Its on the registration when you buy the trailer.

Main thing I like about my 19ft Vnose is its only about 6ft 6inch stock mirrors work perfect.

Register light? How would you do that? Its on the registration when you buy the trailer.

You can register a truck or trailer for a weight less than it is actually capable of. It is what is on the ownership that is key, You just need to make sure you don't exceed the weight on the ownership.  My truck came with an optional GVWR package that meant that my plates would have cost me more based on the registered weight on the ownership. The dealer registered the truck at the usual weight capacity for an F150 and I didn't have to pay the extra on the plates. Now if I were to be stopped and was over the weight capacity on the ownership I would be facing a fine. Yesterday I saw a Dodge pickup with a 5th wheel trailer pulled over on the 400. Based on the massive load of lumber (what I would expect to see on a semi not a pickup) and the bobcat on the back end of the trailer I strongly suspect he would be in trouble on his weight.

If the truck or trailer and truck combination would have a gross registered weight rating of more than 4500kgs , yes, both the tow vehicle and trailer will require the annual commercial safety sticker.

There is no need to register the license on the vehicle for a higher weight than the standard plate comes with (3000kgs) unless your trailer weight is going to exceded 2800kgs (6172 lbs). Once you excede this weight then the MTO counts the weight of the trailer against the registered weight of the trailer.

Registering a vehicle for a weight above 4500kg requires a CVOR and its additional requirements (daily logs, daily inspections, etc).

Clear as mud right?    lol

Easy rule is if you have dual axles on your trailer, you will need to safety both the trailer and tow vehicle. Nothing is required in licensing unless your trailer and its potential load will excede 2800kgs.

A single axle trailer with a 3500lbs rating or more would also put you in the safety both class.

The kicker to all this is that very few of the officers out there even understand the rules.

Here is a link with more detailed explanations.http://www.horttrades.com/mto---annual-truck-and-trailer-safety-inspections

But somehow campers are exempt 

I saw a guy with a race car inside a camper! 

Looked like a camper until the back dropped down and the car came out!

Archived