Trail Maintenance and Preparation and Lake Staking

SlowTouringGuy

Dry trails and a lovely sunny day on order for next week?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, as wet as usual I see. Sorry I missed it.

When you're in deep trouble, look straight ahead, keep your mouth shut, and move with the crowd.

post-22473-0-68872800-1415493301_thumb.jpg

When you're in deep trouble, look straight ahead, keep your mouth shut, and move with the crowd.

attachicon.giffoxy.jpg

Especially when STG is in that crowd   :nana:

Excellent turnout, Slow Touring Guy. Who could resist the idea of gnawing on frozen sandwiches at the Great Dismal Swamp?

Excellent turnout, Slow Touring Guy. Who could resist the idea of gnawing frozen sandwiches at the Great Dismal Swamp?

It's a beautiful thing - how many people can say they have done it? A bucket list item, I'm sure.

Next Saturday, opportunity presents itself once more ! Join me. Break your teeth on a frozen granola bar in Black Bill Ruttan country!

The ATVs didn't have much luck with these "dry" conditions.

post-19700-0-39379500-1415636230_thumb.j

This is part of the trail!  You can tell how much damage has been done to the trail from ATVs.

post-19700-0-82580300-1415636247_thumb.j

The water was so deep in places that the Argos needed to paddle down the stream...

post-19700-0-29217100-1415636259_thumb.j

Getting back to the cottage was a little slippery.

post-19700-0-98432500-1415636300_thumb.j

UPDATE !!

Saturday November 15th

D trail from Kahshe Lake to Doe Lake Road is the Target Trail for this weekend !! 

Summerland General Store opens at 8:00 on Saturdays.  Many will gather there to pick up a Western To Go or sit down for breakfast.  We'll be leaving Summerland by 8:45 latest. 
Parking for trucks and unloading ATVs/Argos is in Johnny D's parking lot at the end of Sam Cook Road and we will be moving northbound on the trail by 9:00. 

For the excursion, wear/bring:                

Boots, work gloves, warm clothing
Wear Lots of Red or Orange, wear no white
Swede Saws, Loppers, Weed Whackers
Chain Saws for those who are Certified Users
Water - keep hydrated
Lunch or Snacks
Argo, ATV
Friends, Relations, Hitchhikers

Please let me know if you can make it so we will head into the trail with everyone who intends to participate that day.

Please note:  There is no mention of insuring that he brings out "everyone who intends to participate that day"  out, even though you may intent too.

Count me in...Could be a little colder this weekend than last.  Maybe some of those mud holes will be frozen.  Won't matter, those argo's go through anything!

Please note:  There is no mention of insuring that he brings out "everyone who intends to participate that day"  out, even though you may intent too.

You're right. One of the purposes of this Saturday's excursion is to look for people who didn't come out from last year's excursion.

While STG and the crowd have been gnawing on their frozen sandwiches in the Kahshe area, other Snowcrest volunteers have been chewing on frozen pizzas in the area west of Lake Muskoka. Phil Pitman has led crews for the past two or three weekends, and Tableware (Bill Horosko) has been right in the middle of it.

Last weekend Tableware was joined by Nunz and Gator and Mr. J. Massey to do signage through the urban part of town. Tableware reports that the weather slowed them down. As a result, Tableware, Nunz and Souper Dave, along with anyone else who is interested, will be going again for another few hours this coming Saturday to get everything right, starting at 8 a.m. at the Marriott parking lot. A Power drill, ratchet, strong arms, and a positive attitude are all that is required for a focused crew to get our in town signs up. Tableware will bring a ladder and a mallet.

UPDATE !!

Saturday November 15th

D trail from Kahshe Lake to Doe Lake Road is the Target Trail for this weekend !! 

Summerland General Store opens at 8:00 on Saturdays.  Many will gather there to pick up a Western To Go or sit down for breakfast.  We'll be leaving Summerland by 8:45 latest. 
Parking for trucks and unloading ATVs/Argos is in Johnny D's parking lot at the end of Sam Cook Road and we will be moving northbound on the trail by 9:00. 

For the excursion, wear/bring:                

Boots, work gloves, warm clothing
Wear Lots of Red or Orange, wear no white
Swede Saws, Loppers, Weed Whackers
Chain Saws for those who are Certified Users
Water - keep hydrated
Lunch or Snacks
Argo, ATV
Friends, Relations, Hitchhikers

Please let me know if you can make it so we will head into the trail with everyone who intends to participate that day.

REMINDER !  

This Saturday, November 15.    Please let me know if you can make it.

Souper Dave, Tableware, Izzy, Nunz, and Marriott Jon were working today around town, finishing up the urban signs for the upcoming season. The signage looks better than ever this year. Apparently the signs closest to town have to be taken down each spring and replaced each fall to discourage vandalism.

After hunting season ends, the focus will return to trail work and sign checking in the rural areas. More volunteers are always welcome. Stay tuned for future trail work dates.

post-22473-0-31561300-1416109206_thumb.jpeg

post-22473-0-10346200-1416109125_thumb.jpeg

post-22473-0-89647000-1416109132_thumb.jpeg

By the looks of Izzy in this picture, it must be Movember.

post-22473-0-84089900-1416109140_thumb.jpg

Souper Dave, Tableware, Izzy, Nunz, and Marriott Jon were working today around town, finishing up the urban signs for the upcoming season. The signage looks better than ever this year. Apparently the signs closest to town have to be taken down each spring and replaced each fall to discourage vandalism.

After hunting season ends, the focus will return to trail work and sign checking in the rural areas. More volunteers are always welcome. Stay tuned for future trail work dates.

attachicon.gifa.jpeg

attachicon.gif1.jpeg

attachicon.gif3.jpeg

attachicon.gif4.jpg

Great job guys! I am just catching up to the activity on the Snowcrest forum. I am amazed and truly appreciate all of the work everyone is doing from signs to B & D trail, to C101D and some club trails in the area! BIG THANKS!!! I am very impressed as well with the NEW sign (4th photo) that was invented.

STOP BEHIND: I take that it means, "You have just blown past a STOP sign.Please return to STOP sign and come to a complete STOP before continuing. Do NOT pass GO". lmao.

I remember years ago when I first did sign installation. I did the signs all the way through town and I did it in better time than I was told it would take. Then it was pointed out to me the next day that I only installed them going in one direction. lmao again.

Again, thanks everyone for all of your hard work as Club Volunteers!   

Hey Blake, it sure is Movember!! But did you check out the hat.

Thanks go to Reved for arranging the hats and toques.

If anyone one would like to donate to the cause here is the link to my page.

http://mobro.co/MoIzzy

Thanks

attachicon.gifa.jpeg

attachicon.gif1.jpeg

attachicon.gif3.jpeg

attachicon.gif4.jpg

I think your stop ahead sign is upside down. I know this because I have had to go back and turn some of mine around over the years. Down here because we have so many road crossings, we have been using Zip Ties on the steel post mounted signs for a few years. I put 2 ties on each end so if one breaks there is still one. Much quicker than nuts and bolts and the security factor hasn't been an issue.

I think your stop ahead sign is upside down. I know this because I have had to go back and turn some of mine around over the years. Down here because we have so many road crossings, we have been using Zip Ties on the steel post mounted signs for a few years. I put 2 ties on each end so if one breaks there is still one. Much quicker than nuts and bolts and the security factor hasn't been an issue.

I noticed when driving by the sign today, that it is upside right. Looks good! 

At first they might have been admiring Izzy's Movember Moustache, and not paying enough attention to the sign's orientation.

Saturday was another day in the Bush opening up D trail.  We had some logistics issues caused by the snowfall and we couldn't muster our fleet of Argo's.  (you aren't brushing B or D without a floating ORV) 

We cut back the crew and I very much thank those that volunteered but I asked to stay back.  Three of us finally got underway (late) with one Argo, chain saw and other brushing devices.  It was a splendid day of weather in the morning with bright blue skies and lots of sun.  The skies clouded over while we were gnawing on frozen sandwiches and breaking teeth on frozen trail mix while temps dropped for a colder afternoon. 

Signage is good.........................

IMG-20141115-01275_zpsdca43437.jpg

IMG-20141115-01274_zps618a9c93.jpg

and...................D is now clear from Kahshe Lake to the Doe Lake Road.  !!

IMG-20141115-01270_zps3664b7fd.jpg

IMG-20141115-01273_zps8376e936.jpg

IMG-20141115-01272_zps2cf45aca.jpg

IMG-20141115-01269_zps37d089ee.jpg

IMG-20141115-01268_zps7c24fa1a.jpg

IMG-20141115-01271_zps6fe806c9.jpg

Two weekends, Two sections of TOP trail cleared. 

work well done by appreciated volunteers.....

Archived