Trail Maintenance and Preparation and Lake Staking

SlowTouringGuy

It certainly has been an eye opening experience volunteering this year with the Snowcrest group.. Makes you appreciate how much work is involved in getting the trails opened long before they even start grooming..my thanks to anyone that helps anyone involved..

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It certainly has been an eye opening experience volunteering this year with the Snowcrest group.. Makes you appreciate how much work is involved in getting the trails opened long before they even start grooming..my thanks to anyone that helps anyone involved..

THANKS TO ALL THAT VOLUNTEER.  Believe me if we didn't have to work here in Niagara every day I would be up there helping out.  Would love to be an asset to the club instead of a liability.  GREAT JOB GUYS.   But, I did notice Nunn wasn't in any pics, oh ya you must have been taking the pics.  LOL :icon_photo:

I vouch for Nunz. Yes he was the photographer.

And extreme600 you are a big time asset, not a liability. You and Terry were assets even before your generous donation to the club this fall, by the way.

I agree. It is fun participating, though, isn't it? The more the merrier!

STG, I am amazed that you guys made it all the way without becoming totally submerged. I guess that stretch is not as wet as the Great Dismal Swamp.

Sorry I have not been out yet. This coming weekend I will be assisting at the rider training course but my son would like to get dropped off and join in the trail work as we have done before. He can ride my atv or ride along with someone in an argo. Let us know where the work will be this weekend. November 22. Looks like great work so far especially with the wet conditions.

STG, I am amazed that you guys made it all the way without becoming totally submerged. I guess that stretch is not as wet as the Great Dismal Swamp.

The week before, two Argo's did cross the Great Dismal Swamp and a tree was cleared off the trail north of there but that trail is best done in two sections and GDS was the planned turnaround point.  The section we did on the 15th has its own water challenges but it was drier than B.  There is not the same level of ATV activity on that stretch. 

Sorry I have not been out yet. This coming weekend I will be assisting at the rider training course but my son would like to get dropped off and join in the trail work as we have done before. He can ride my atv or ride along with someone in an argo. Let us know where the work will be this weekend. November 22. Looks like great work so far especially with the wet conditions.

Anthony is more than welcome - he's one of the best !    It would probably be good if he's ATV riding; the Argo population is down at least one this coming weekend. 

Saturday November 22nd

D Trail from Muskoka Drive-In to Doe Lake Road is the Target Trail

Summerland General Store opens at 8:00 on Saturdays.  Many will gather there to pick up a Western To Go or sit down for breakfast.  We'll be leaving Summerland by 8:45 latest. 
Parking for trucks and unloading ATVs/Argos is in the dead end circle at the south end of Theatre Road just off the Gravenhurst Parkway and we will be moving southbound on the trail shortly after 9:00. 

For the excursion, wear/bring:                

Boots, work gloves, warm clothing
Wear Lots of Red or Orange, wear no white
Swede Saws, Loppers, Weed Whackers
Chain Saws for those who are Certified Users
Water - keep hydrated
Lunch or Snacks
Argo, ATV
Friends, Relations, Hitchhikers

Please let me know if you can make it so we will head into the trail with everyone who intends to participate that day.

BARKWAY BOYS BRUSHING BUSH

Another great day of trail maintenance on Saturday.  We were down to one Argo and a couple of sleds.  There is still Tons of water back there but we got through it, opened some up for the cold temperatures arriving soon, and packed trail with the two sleds and with those wide Argo tracks.   We had about 6 or so large trees across the trail to move but, otherwise, it was a walk in the woods.  Well, ok, maybe not without its moments of "let's sink a sled in beaver excrement" or "why does a 1,000 pound Argo with 4 (svelte) men drop through the ice?". 

Mr. H marvelling at the power of a Warn Winch in Action !

imagejpeg_32_zps77062b1f.jpg

We had been southbound on the trail (see tracks on far side) when we met this (somewhat) frozen swamp of some 6 feet deep. Crossing the swamp was blocked by the tree in the foreground and we found our way through the bush around the swamp and regained the trail on solid ground to move the tree.  Note the deer in the background wearing hunters' flash to avoid detection. 

IMG-20141122-01314_zps99fa56c6.jpg

A Zoom of the previous pic

IMG-20141122-01315_zps4e794f33.jpg

Moving logs while man in the foreground prays. 

imagejpeg_3_zps18b485cc.jpg

&%$#!!! Recoil !!   &%$#!!!

imagejpeg_31_zpsdcdb52b5.jpg

Many thanks to:

Dave & Don who rode their sleds and provided the entertainment

Henry who can lift logs larger than a '68 Buick Wildcat

Marty and his tracked VeeHickle

Ron who also provided 3 of the above pix

and, Husky Farm Tough

It was a productive day and lots of fun.  

D trail is now clear from Kahshe Lake to the Muskoka Drive-In.  (currently playing, a perennial favourite - 'closed for the season')

Wow Guys. What an impressive effort getting all that territory opened up over the past month.

Wow Guys. What an impressive effort getting all that territory opened up over the past month.

x2  not an easy task.  Good work fellows.

Ahem.......Nov 8 - Nov 22 is really 2 weeks :-) :smile:

OK, so the Kahshe Crew has been out three weekends in a row. The Campbell's Landing crew started two weeks earlier, so let's call it a broader team effort for the past month or so. Besides, don't the six hour planning meetings count? LOL

Meanwhile, up in Seguin Township, even the paved roads are having water issues. Check out this photo: Drivers maneuver along a flooded Aspen Road in Seguin Township earlier this morning.

post-22473-0-46457500-1416958027_thumb.jpg

That looks like a great road to test out the flotation on the turbo cat!

Not this lad. LOL

Besides, don't the six hour planning meetings count?

I've been meaning to speak to you about that.....aren't we overdue for another planning session? Over hard, pig meat, home fries, rye toast and bottomless coffee is my order if you get there first.

PM sent.

Archived