Trail Maintenance and Preparation and Lake Staking

SlowTouringGuy

Brushing is good for you.  And Regular Brushing is even healthier according to Health Officials across the Nation. So we've decided to give you the opportunity to Brush Regularly over the next few weeks. 

Snow is in the forecast and our trails need a little Fall Maintenance; some more than others.  We are planning Trail Maintenance parties for:

November 8
November 15
November 22
November 29
December 6

...and would appreciate your participation in any or all of those days if your schedule permits. 

The bush is full of water and the rain arrives every other day so our plan is to start with the drier areas and leave those areas that are currently flooded to later in the schedule with the hope that the cooler weather and more dry days will make them more accessible. 

++++++++++++++++

Let's start with a short one to get limbered up and back into gear:

November 8:  B Trail North from the Black River to the Great Dismal Swamp

Meet at Summerland General Store before 8:30 if you want one of their famous Toasted Western
Departure from Summerland at 8:30
or...meet at the intersection of Black River Road and Lewisham Lane at 8:45.

For the excursion, wear/bring:                

Boots, work gloves, warm clothing
Wear Lots of Red or Orange, wear no white
Swede Saws, Loppers, Weed Whackers
Chain Saws for those who are Certified Users
Water - keep hydrated
Lunch or Snacks
Argo, ATV
Friends, Relations, Hitchhikers

Please let me know if you can make it so we will head into the trail with everyone who intends to participate that day.

+++++++++++++++++

I will send a notice each week confirming which trail section, meeting place and time of departure is coming up . 

D Trail is still a "little damp" between Summerland and 3 Mile:

No Lake Staking this weekend ! 

Remember, Brushing is good for you; Regular Brushing is even Healthier; And, Regular Brushing in a Group Setting is Healthy, more fun and helps develop your social skills !!!  

Join us often, enjoy the fellowship, gnaw on frozen sandwiches, tell terrible stories and tall tales about your sledding adventures, and be part of opening the trails for another great sledding season in Muskoka !

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"No Lake Staking this weekend"

Good one!

I'm assisting the Baxter bunch south of you this weekend. Should join your group one weekend to learn from the masters. One guy on the camera, one guy with a bullhorn, sherpas doing the work, as I recall :-P. Be safe. Light snow north of Hwy 7 Saturday am?).

I have new workboots. Boy am I gonna get razzed. Should probably scuff them up.

Trail Leader Phil Pitman will welcome volunteers to join him on another trail mission this Saturday morning (November 1) leaving from Campbell's Landing. THIS WEEK THE START TIME IS 8:30, not 9:00.

Rumour has it that Bill Horosko and Steve Crown will be part of the crew.

The crew will head in to the bush via Trail 10 and do what can be done on the 10-12-14-9 series of trails.

Please email Phil if you are planning to attend: ppitman@rogers.com

PS: If you have an ATV you might want to bring it to cover more ground. There will be wet areas for sure.

PSS: All of STG's good advice (above) applies to Phil's crew also.

If you don't have time to scuff them, at least throw a little paint on them or something.   sheesh !  

Maybe he could break in his boots by helping with the sheep. Wait, what kind of boots are they?

"No Lake Staking this weekend"

Good one!

I'm assisting the Baxter bunch south of you this weekend. Should join your group one weekend to learn from the masters. One guy on the camera, one guy with a bullhorn, sherpas doing the work, as I recall :-P. Be safe. Light snow north of Hwy 7 Saturday am?).

Thats how stg holds the sheep in place 

:blink:

"North of Hwy. 7" advice. Guess I asked for it, lol

No Lake Staking this weekend ! 

I actually had someone come up with a suggestion once for lake staking. He said we should go out in a boat and put in stakes that will float upright like chanel markers and leave them there until the ice forms around them. Then pull them in spring after ice out. He figured it would be safer that way.

......someone come up with a suggestion once for lake staking. He said we should go out in a boat and put in stakes that will float upright like chanel markers and leave them there until the ice forms around them. Then pull them in spring after ice out. He figured it would be safer that way.

Or we could start a "South of Hwy. 7" advice forum. See above, lol.

I actually had someone come up with a suggestion once for lake staking. He said we should go out in a boat and put in stakes that will float upright like chanel markers and leave them there until the ice forms around them. Then pull them in spring after ice out. He figured it would be safer that way.

Great idea! Make sure every third marker has a ruler on it, so riders can verify ice thickness as they ride down the channel! That would be awesome!

A few shots from Phil Pitman's crew today in the area of Snowcrest Trail 10....photographer was Tableware..

post-22473-0-61405700-1414854184_thumb.jpg

post-22473-0-71464900-1414853965_thumb.jpg

post-22473-0-37082000-1414853983_thumb.jpg

REMINDER - THIS WEEKEND !

November 8 B Trail north from the Black River to the Great Dismal Swamp

Meet at Summerland General Store before 8:30 if you want one of their famous Toasted Western

Departure from Summerland at 8:30

or...meet at the intersection of Black River Road and Lewisham Lane at 8:45.

For the excursion, wear/bring:                

Boots, work gloves, warm clothing

Wear Lots of Red or Orange, wear no white

Swede Saws, Loppers, Weed Whackers

Chain Saws for those who are Certified Users

Water - keep hydrated

Lunch or Snacks

Argo, ATV

Friends, Relations, Hitchhikers

Please let me know if you can make it so we will head into the trail with everyone who intends to participate that day.

+++++++++++++++++

Please wear your deer antler hat, please :)

post-19700-0-96988100-1415373454_thumb.j

Good one PLC

A couple of pix from today's exercise.

This first kilometer was pretty good.  Loppers were active and a tree or two needed attention:

IMG-20141108-01235_zps267564cb.jpg

We decided today's section of trail because it is the driest piece of trail we have to work on over the first 5 weekends.  By devoting today to a dry section it gives other sections the opportunity to dry up a little. 

So.....this is how dry it was:

IMG-20141108-01241_zps8fe2b794.jpg

IMG-20141108-01236_zpsc9106e6e.jpg

IMG-20141108-01237_zps0ad91d6c.jpg

IMG-20141108-01240_zps719441c1.jpg

IMG-20141108-01238_zpsb4564411.jpg

The good news is that it's now clear of impediments other than water.  

Next weekend, I'm sure, will be a cake-walk.  

Archived