Ride Around Algonquin

AkronOrange

I think we're going to ride around the park as part of a longer trip.  Any advice on places to stay and/or things to see along the way would be appreciated.  I'm thinking we'll start in the southwest portion, ride around the eastern portion of the park before we head northwest and end back where we started via the western part of the park.

Any information would be appreciated.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great question, We are planning to do the rap, ran, combo this season.

X2  Would appreciate some info also

Lets start with how many km's / miles you like to run per day.

We'll ride 8 hours per day.  Some places we have ridden 300+ miles some less than 200, depends on the trails.  I'm thinking we would start somewhere between Haliburton and Barry's Bay and head toward Pembroke then around toward North Bay and run the west side of the park on our way back.

AO, here's my report from '13:

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11254-rap-tour-2013/

If you're staying in the Kearney area, my suggestion is the Edgewater as opposed to the Silversands.

Not sure if you've ridden in southern Ontario, but the pace is definitely "slower" than up north. Depending on the days you take, you'll have to deal w/ increased traffic in the Muskoka & Haliburton areas.

Good afternoon guys, We did the Rap Tour a couple of winters ago, below my notes from when we did the tour great ride I am sure you will have a good time combining the two of them together. PM me if you have any other questions and let me know when we you coming through Muskoka area and I would love to meet up for lunch or dinner.

Top A was a mess till we got out about an hour away from Mattawa...

Stayed at the Algonquin Motel in South River, was okay nothing fancy but weren't expecting too much
Valois Motel in Mattawa, loved it, nice clean rooms, restaurant was really good...good trail access
Best Western Pembrooke- really nice place, good trail access, pool & hot tub...
Spectacle Lake Lodge- the highlight of the trip, stayed there the night of the storm....best of the best...
Pinestone Inn in Haliburton- nice place, no hot tub but restaurant was really good, Have always loved Haliburton....

We also stopped in at Dinner Bell and had lunch food was really good... also hit a restaurant in Rolphton that was really good...          

Thanks everyone.  I'll post the trip plan a few weeks before we leave.  I'd like to do a big loop starting near the park then heading north and west to Hearst, Hornepayne and coming back "A" to "F" the back through "C" and the "D" back to where we started.  I'm not sure that we'll have time for all of that.  I would love to meet up with any of you along the way!

For info on district six contact Terry at snow country office in Pembroke ont. at 1 877 376 7669 or email at snowcountry@nrtco.net wed site www.snowcountryscsa.ca . We take in from Haliburton to Mattawa.

We'll ride 8 hours per day.  Some places we have ridden 300+ miles some less than 200, depends on the trails.  I'm thinking we would start somewhere between Haliburton and Barry's Bay and head toward Pembroke then around toward North Bay and run the west side of the park on our way back.

We've done the RAP tour 3 times including last winter. If you want to start on south side (and intend to spend the first night in the Pemboke / Petawawa area), I would suggest the Haliburton area. If you start in the Whitney/ Barry's Bay area, it will be a short day to Pembroke or Petawawa as a lot of the trail is Hydro line and railbed. If you want to get past Pembroke, Petawawa has a nearly new Quality Inn & Suites (pool & Hottub) right along the trail (behind the Yamaha dealer) with a Kelsey's restaurant across the parking lot.

From there to the Mattawa area would be a good day if you include some of the awesome side loops off the A trail like 191, 195 and 197/158. IMO if the 197/158 loop doesn't do it for you, you might as well head back to the truck. Pre plan a lunch stop for this day as there aren't alot of eating spots along the A in this area. Maybe some of the other guys can chip in with some good lunch stops.

After Petawawa, the easiest fuel stop is likely in Stonecliffe where the Missing Links groomer runs out of. Mattawa has good spots to stay like The Mattawa Golf & Ski Resort or Valois Motel.

Down the west side south of North Bay on your return trip there are nice spots to stay like Edgewater Park Lodge in the Sand Lake/ Kearney area or further south at Spring Lake Resort in Dwight although you are getting fairly close to Haliburton by then.

Hope you have an awesome trip.

X2 on the GolfnSki. Great hosts there.

• 2 weeks later...

My group is also planning this trip for the first time and for two of us it will be our first back pack trip so any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Advice #1 Get or borrow some saddlebags and forget about the backpacks IMO. If you ride hard make sure to put some extra bungees over the saddlebags.

Advice 2! Carry a small siphone! Comes in handy if one sled runs low on fuel or breaks down (can transfer fuel to the sled that is towing)! I have used my numerous times to help out stranded sledders!

I'd also like to give the 2 thumbs up to Spectacle Lake Lodge. Sledjunk booked us in there and it was the highlight of our trip.

One thing I'll say is that the RAP is actually 'faster' than you think. Time wise. 3 nights is more than enough, start to finish.

Thanks guys keep the tips coming!

The RAP tour is basically a triangle so it makes it pretty easy to breakout into a 3 day ride. The longest day seems to be if you wish to stay in North Bay and run to Pembroke the day after. The only problem with this is that it limits the time to enjoy the loops off the A trail east of Mattawa. They are too nice a ride to miss out on.

• 2 months later...

Next weekend I think we'll do the trip around the park.  I'm considering starting in Haliburton and doing the route below.  Any thoughts and/or recommendations on places to stay would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Haliburton to Deep River                             240  km
Deep River to South River or Sundridge     260 km
Sundridge to Haliburton                              250 km

When we did the RAP we started at the http://www.pinestone-resort.com/outside of Haliburton ...we didnt stay there we just started from there and left the truck and trailer for the next three nights.

They are sled friendly and just want you to give them your license number and expected time of your return.

We now sled up there for the night just for a short ride when there is snow.

We went the other way around .

We have stayed at the Algonquin inn in south river and the rooms were clean and decent .. The outside is a little funky and the Italian restaurant down the street was good..

X2 on the Pinestone resort..

Have a great trip!!

We have stayed at the Algonquin inn in south river and the rooms were clean and decent .. The outside is a little funky and the Italian restaurant down the street was good..

X2 on the Pinestone resort..

Have a great trip!!

Antonio's. Great guy got be back home last year with the broken trailing arm

Bear's Den is a good stop to stay, the owners are very supportive to their local club!  Also the food is good and it's clean.

Bear's Den is a good stop to stay, the owners are very supportive to their local club!  Also the food is good and it's clean.

X2

OK guys, I've hidden my post. Thanks for the update.  :right_on:

Archived