Here's the latest from the Sault Trailblazers

Updated - Thursday Oct. 23rd 4:00 p.m.

Driver Training - Echo Bay - Nov 22nd

The next regional Driver Training session is November 22nd in Echo Bay and is being coordinated by the Echo Bay Snow Falcons. For more information, please contact the Club at (705) 248-1166 or email ' echobaysnowfalcons@gmail.com '.

Mashagama Trail - Brushing

A crew will be brushing the Mashagama Trail soon, possibly this weekend. This trail runs from the Domtar Road across to Seabrook Lake which connects with the Chapleau F Trail.

Trail Groomers

Assistance is always welcome in the Trailblazers Shop on Old Garden River Road. Groomers are being prepared for the 2014 / 15 season and volunteers with mechanical skills are needed. If you wish to help, please contact John Breckenridge at pjb2001@hotmail.com or call the Clubhouse at 705 759-0023 and leave a message.

Volunteers make the Community

4689. That's how many NON-PAID, volunteer hours it took in the 2013 / 14 season to provide trails for this catchment area. Grooming time is not included in the 4689 hours. The Sault Trailblazers is a non-profit organization run by NON-PAID volunteers from the community and region. The work demand for the upcoming 2014 / 2015 season will be no different from last year, so If you are a snowmobiler in the Sault or area, please come and join us at the next Trailblazers meeting on Wednesday Oct. 29th, 7 p.m. at Gino's Family Restaurant and learn more about the club and the many social activities that take place throughout the winter months. This is a great opportunity to meet new friends whom all have the same interest in enjoying snowmobiling and the wonderful outdoors of Northern Ontario.

Heyden Trail Repairs

Dan See and John Breckenridge worked to repair a part of the Heyden-to-4 Corners Trail system on Saturday. Culverts were put back in place and 2 loads to gravel, kindly donated by Pioneer Construction, were brought in to fill a major washout. Dan graciously donated his double-axle haulage trailer and 4 x 4'd his way into the the bush to fill the washout.

BushNET - Live Trail Camera

Dan Kachur worked in the Heyden area on Saturday to bring BushNET aka BlazerNET one step closer to being up-and-running live. The solar panel is up and the camera is live in beta mode. Final logistics are being worked out for the installation of a high-gain antenna.

Signage Day - Summary

This past Saturday’s signage day must have been a very busy day for most sledders because only one couple showed up to help. Signage is important and if we haven’t completed it before the snow arrives we cannot legally open the trailsicon1.png until all signage is installed AND approved by the District Trails Master. So, stay tuned for the next opportunity to help get ready for a great snowmobile season. The club needs your support. Special thanks to Kevin and Val for coming out and helping on Saturday. We managed to get the Old Goulais Bay Road from the Garbage Dump to Four Corners signed and ready. If you know of any sections of trails that are missing signs, please give us a email or poke on Facebook or a twitter message. Shawn Greenwood v-6shg@hotmail.com.

Heyden - Fuel

Will Heyden be getting fuel again? Not to start rumours, but, there's work going on at the former Esso Station on the corner of highway 17 and the Searchmont Highway. This could be welcome news!

MountainView Lodge

A new addition for riders for 2014 / 15 is MountainView Lodge. Located on the Searchmont highway at Northland, this very picturesque facility will be open for both food and accommodations. Brennan and crew have a trail available that comes in from the Ranger Lake road at the Glendale / ACR tracks intersection. They can be reached at 705 781-3329.

TSSA - Townhall Meeting - SSM Delta

The CEO of TSSA is coming to the Sault and will be hosting a Townhall meeting at the Delta on Wednesday November 12th from 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. Please visit TSSA.ORG to see the announcement on the website or email townhall@tssa.org to get on the invite list.

One More Gas Station Closed

Goulais River is unfortunately down to 2 fuel stations. Regretfully, the Goulais River General Store, located on highway 552 west recently closed, therefore no more fuel. However, Goulais River Country Store on Highway 17 and Timberland also on Highway 17 have fuel.

Blueberry Hill Motel - Goulais

Blueberry Hill will be open for business as usual this winter. They offer room rentals, campsites and their property as a Staging location. Breakfast is included with room rentals. Please feel free to contact Diane and Staff for more information. They are available at 705 649 5631.

President's Message

As the 2015 Snowmobile Season is approaching, I would like to say hello to all our existing and new members. Permits are now on sale online as of Oct 1st. Please make sure that when you apply to select District 13 and the club where you plan on riding this season. We are a Not-for-Profit Volunteer organization. Without the help of all our volunteers, contractors and land owners, we would not be able to operate and provide groomed trails. The Club Directors and Volunteers have been very busy getting prepared for this season, any help would be appreciated. We hope to see you at our next general meeting. Please check this website for dates and don’t forget to pass the word along to your friends.

Thank you

John Breckenridge

2015 Permits

2015 Season permits are now on sale via the OFSC website. Cost is $180 (+ $.7.50 Processing Fee) until November 1st. Price goes up after November 1st to $210 (+ $7.50 Processing Fee). 

Halfway Haven

The club has been informed that Halfway Haven will not be open this winter, therefore, no groomed trail on the top section of the Ranger N/W and Powerline. The Whitman / Domtar trails will be groomed and not affected.

Club Christmas Party - Wed. Dec. 10th

This year's upcoming Christmas Party is scheduled for Wednesday December 10th and will be held at Gino's Family Restaurant. Start time is 6 p.m. There will be a choice of three meals this year and all include unlimited salad and bread. Menu selection includes: #1. Chicken Parm with roast potatoes and vegetable OR #2. 1/2 rack ribs with penne OR #3. Veal Scaloppini with spaghetti. Tickets can be purchased at the next meeting or by contacting Karen Donnelly at Karen.Donnelly@Sympatico.ca. Price is $20 for members, $25 for non members. We will be doing the gift exchange again this year and gifts are limited to $10. One gift per person attending.

Trailblazette Newsletter - Oct 2014

For your enjoyable reading pleasure, the first edition of the Trailblazette for 2015 is now available for download from this website and is located in the News and Info section. A huge thank you to Shawn Greenwood for taking the lead in preparing another great edition of the newsletter. Readers always look forward to the Trailblazette. Very much appreciated Shawn.

Roxy's Lakeside Grill - Haviland

Once the trails are open, Roxy's is offering 10% off any meal to snowmobilers. Roxy's is also offering their parking lot this winter as a Staging area for those who wish to launch from Haviland. Fuel is also available 2 doors over from Roxy's.

Shuttle Service - Catalina Motel

Catalina Motel, in Sault Ste. Marie, is once again offering snowmobile train tour packages and shuttle service to and from the staging area. Catalina Motel also provides International Sled Shuttle service into and out of United States via International Bridge.

Searchmont Store

Good News! Searchmont now has a store. No fuel at this time though.

Black Creek Outfitters

Black Creek Outiftters, located in the Aubrey Falls area, will be ready for another winter of snowmobiling. They will offer light lunches, fuel, accomodations and December specials on cabin rentals. Black Creek Outfitters will also be grooming the OFSC trails in their region. For more information visit www.blackcreekoutfitters.ca or call 705 841-2555.

2nd Meeting of Season - Wed. Oct 29th

The Club will be hosting the 2nd general meeting of the season on Wednesday October 29th at 7 p.m at Gino's Family Restaurant. Everyone is welcome and is open to the general public.

Driver's Training

Please call the Clubhouse at 705 759-0023 to get your name on the list for Driver Training, leave a message if you are not able to reach the staff. Our first training course date will be announced this fall.

Fuel Availability - October 2014

Fuel is available in Goulais, Haviland, Black Creek, Airport Road, Sault Ste. Marie, Echo Bay and Bruce Mines. There is no fuel available in Heyden or Searchmont at this time. Please plan your trips with fuel availability in-mind.

Distance Calculations

Goulais to Searchmont is 36 kms (22.5 miles). Searchmont to Black Creek Outfitters is 150 kms (94 miles), Therefore, Goulais to Black Creek Outfitters is 186 kms (116.5 miles), Please plan your trips with fuel supply and availability in-mind.

Join the Club

Are you interesting in joining the club. The fee is $10 per year per family. Please email us: karen.donnelly@sympatico.ca or come out to the next meeting on Wed. Oct 29th at Gino's Family Restaurant at 7 pm.

For more information, please visit us on Facebook or the website at SSM Trailblazers

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great info,thx for sharing

Sounds like a very active club!  Thanks for the info.

Great info thanks!!

thank you Dan!

Ski

Dan. Looking to do the Snow train run and have concerns about fuel. Info I'm getting suggests a gap of 150 miles with no fuel leaving from Sault or shortly after. Can you give me any info regarding this? Never been in the area its all new to us! Thanks!

You have about 25 miles out of SSM to get to the last gas in Goulas River.

The store on the trail may no longer have gas, but a couple miles south of the river on D trail there is a cutoff to the Blueberry motel & campgrounds and it also branches up to a station/hardware store with gas and a bar-food restaurant.  From that point there are two ways to go east and they are 118.9 miles to Black Creek Outfitters in Aubrey Falls area or 105.6 miles, but with longer travel time and less cruising more turning.

I took these off the interactive, but I agree pretty much they are good numbers.  There is a much faster shortcut if Ranger Lake Road is snow covered and cuts the mileage to about 85 miles.  This uses the new D201F which I love.  We usually stay at the Blueberry Motel.  Great trails around SSM.

Thanks for the info Ac

• 3 weeks later...

I added 3 live webcams to the Sault Trailblazers website today.  1 is at the Clubhouse, the 2nd one is within the City overlooking the streets and the 3rd is in the Heyden snowbelt.  We are moving the Heyden camera next to the trail along the highway.   Hope to get it done sooner than later. 

Here's the link

http://ssmtrailblazers.com/webcams/webcam1.htm

I added 3 live webcams to the Sault Trailblazers website today.  1 is at the Clubhouse, the 2nd one is within the City overlooking the streets and the 3rd is in the Heyden snowbelt.  We are moving the Heyden camera next to the trail along the highway.   Hope to get it done sooner than later. 

Here's the link

okay... You have really triggerd the itch... our sleds are in the trailer beside my office. I have this urge to go sit on the sled and go VROOOM VROOOM.

Here's the link

I love being able to check these and will do to stay on top of the conditions.

Thanks Dan

Not that is a great shot

post-19706-0-46366800-1415750168.txt

Here's the link

Send your link to John Dee to add to his page.

http://www.johndee.com/

thanks Dan! can anyone else see the other two cams? I can only see the one at the club house. (not that I am complaining, it is a great view of snow :D). Ski

thanks Dan! can anyone else see the other two cams? I can only see the one at the club house. (not that I am complaining, it is a great view of snow :D). Ski

I can only see the Clubhouse the other two are blank as well.... we have some cold coming the next few days.... then bring on the snow....

I can see all three.

I can see all three.

I can see all three if I assume that the bottom two are snowing so hard that it is just a total white out condition and I have a solid white image.

I can see all three if I assume that the bottom two are snowing so hard that it is just a total white out condition and I have a solid white image.

:umno:

I cannot see the others either, but love what I can see.

I can only see the Clubhouse the other two are blank as well.... we have some cold coming the next few days.... then bring on the snow....

I can only see the first also.

"Error: username or password error,please input again."

Great info as always Dan :)

3 Webcams

I appreciate everyone's feedback on the webcams.  Some are seeing just 1 camera, while others are seeing 3.   I'm not sure of the exact problem, however, we did an experiment today and some with Internet Explorer were not able to see the 3 cameras, but those with Firefox or Chrome were.  Feel free to try another web browser or open the security on IE and hopefully this solves the problem.  I may need to seek some technical advice on how I can program the code that allows all 3 cameras are visible in all web-browsers.  In the meantime, I am attaching 3 photos taken from the camera just a few minutes ago. Again, please try another web-browser and hopefully that solves the problem.

Dan-Senior

post-22452-0-54987500-1415823716_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-62103500-1415823729_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-87787900-1415823734_thumb.jpg

Archived