SCR Trail 3

Domino

I am about to go online a purchase my permits.  I've been supporting SCR with 2 permits every year for the last 5 seasons.  Since the grooming seems to primarily take place in the northern part of the club's trails and Trail 3 is rumoured to be closed or no longer groomed in 2015, I am questioning my support for the club with both permits as I ride all over the district. 

Will trail 3 be opened?

Will grooming be consistent on the south end of Kahshe Lake? (Not just a pre-season pass)

Will trail 3 be groomed on a regular, as needed, schedule?

Will trail 3 be opened?

YES

Will grooming be consistent on the south end of Kahshe Lake? (Not just a pre-season pass)

Domino, I wasn't a director with the club last season, so I'm not sure about the extent of last season's grooming for Trail 4 from Kahshe Lake to Severn Bridge. I thought it was o.k. when I rode it, mid-season, but I only used it a couple of times. I have learned a bit more in the past few months. Apparently the industrial groomers (the club has 3 of them) cannot service that trail, which means it has to be done by a Skandic operated by a volunteer. The club does not get OFSC funding unless an industrial groomer is being used, by the way, but I know we do plan to have a Skandic stationed near Severn Bridge to service Trail 4, and have arranged for volunteer manpower to operate the machine as needed. I cannot say for sure, but I would expect that more volunteer help might result in more grooming in that area.

Will trail 3 be groomed on a regular, as needed, schedule?

Trail 3 is similar to Trail 4 in that the industrial groomers cannot access the trail in the part between Trail D and Ryde Lake. So that part of Trail 3 needs to be groomed by a Skandic. As far as I know, we do not have an excellent nearby base for a Skandic and small drag, but are seeking such a location. We will, once again, need volunteers to operate that equipment. I know we have quite a few good volunteers, but having a few more would be helpful, as far as I know. I agree that a fairly short section of Trail 3 was a real sore spot last winter, as I used it myself several times. I noticed there were some large trees that blew over prior to last winter, and many of them were not removed prior to sledding season. The section between D and Ryde Lake is apparently hard to access prior to freeze up because of the swamps. We need to get a work crew in there as soon as freeze up allows, and get those trees out of the way once and for all.

I know you are based in the Kahshe area and have been a great Snowcrest supporter for many years. We don't want to lose guys like you. Plus, I haven't yet had the pleasure of sledding with you myself, and I hope to rectify that this winter. If we have a winter. LOL

If you'd lost me, you'd know it ;)  Although I get grumpy when I have to spend the night in a traction brace after riding trail 3.

I understand that the OFSC does not provide any type of grooming fund for non-commercial grooming.  That's just asinine IMO.  We are going to lose some of the most scenic trails in the OFSC network due to this. 

That said, most clubs have a percentage of club trails that must be groomed with something other than a commercial groomer.  And they do it! 

The Kahshe Lake trail team has offered several times to pull a drag with Argo's or sleds on a regular basis if a drag is left nearby.  We have done this with a make-shift drag in the past just to make the trail passable.  If you leave it, it will be used.

I'm encouraged that you have volunteered to take on the Snowcrest Trails.  SCR usually does a decent job of grooming the TOP trails.  Trail 3, 4 and 15 are in need of some more attention IMO.  Trail 3 last year was unacceptable.

Archived