.......Band Camp ?? 

Band Camp at Housey's Rapids

post-19700-0-35873600-1413465949_thumb.j

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.......Band Camp ??

Wofmam time again!

High point last year was mastering the waffle making machine in the breakfast room at the Super 8 in Kapuskasing. After several gloopy attempts, finally got a couple that looked like they came out of Master Chef TV show. Definitely on my radar for a return trip.

Most memorable on trail was a morning ride from Little Current over to Killarney. Any time you watch a movie where the characters mysteriously go back in time (or disappear for good) they usually enter into a fog. On that particular day, there was a band of fog just ahead of my route of travel....

post-19713-0-88796200-1414055188_thumb.j

it continued on as I moved forward along the stake line and I figured 'hey, wonder where this is taking me ? backward or forward?'

post-19713-0-09733800-1414055205_thumb.j

After an interesting ride back during which I caught this unique picture of jet contrails

post-19713-0-81368200-1414055220_thumb.j

nothing had really changed. Same old motel....and they wanted to be paid. I really feel no need to go back to Manitoulin again.

In early March I bought myself a new sled.

I still had my old sled so I invited our club president to come along for a day of riding. (Yes, our snowmobile club prez doesn't own a sled and hasn't for a few years now).

The sun was shining, trails were flat but it was his gratitude for getting him back out on a sled that made my day.

That day and another (where I got my son back out on a sled after 3 years) that has convinced me to keep the extra sled for another year and try to get more friends out on the trails this season.

In early March I bought myself a new sled.

I still had my old sled so I invited our club president to come along for a day of riding. (Yes, our snowmobile club prez doesn't own a sled and hasn't for a few years now).

The sun was shining, trails were flat but it was his gratitude for getting him back out on a sled that made my day.

That day and another (where I got my son back out on a sled after 3 years) that has convinced me to keep the extra sled for another year and try to get more friends out on the trails this season.

Maybe a good plan for the OFSC is to provide some funding - small stipend - to folks like yourself with a spare machine that could take newbies out for their first ride. Participants could be spread out through the various districts with the interested participants able to arrange rides through the club or clubs invovled. Be a good part time activity for the many retired people out there for 7 day a week coverage.

Judging by the people who are upgrading their gear every year or so on the forum here, it wouldn't take much to have sled clothing drive to provide an initial riding outfit.

Better money spent than on (edited for bad language) Ned Nickerson and his travelling band of freeloading(edited for bad language).

Maybe a good plan for the OFSC is to provide some funding - small stipend - to folks like yourself with a spare machine that could take newbies out for their first ride. Participants could be spread out through the various districts with the interested participants able to arrange rides through the club or clubs invovled. Be a good part time activity for the many retired people out there for 7 day a week coverage.

Judging by the people who are upgrading their gear every year or so on the forum here, it wouldn't take much to have sled clothing drive to provide an initial riding outfit.

Better money spent than on (edited for bad language) Ned Nickerson and his travelling band of freeloading(edited for bad language).

C'mon now... everybody needs all of these short bursts of wisdom that come on the radio. I haven't heard any of the Intrepid Cottager blurbs in a while.... I guess they died.

Rode from Kearney to Sudbury last year.Going across the bridges was awesome. Then did a couple of loops out of Sudbury. The Wolf mountain loop and the Moose loop.Then rode back to North Bay then to Kearney. Trails were very good!  

Tried uploading pics but file too big.

Most memorable ride is probably the Ride into Saskatchewan in 2013. But every ride has its memory's and all are exciting! Its hard to chose one!

post-22655-0-01521300-1414645528_thumb.jpg

Self explanatory!

post-22655-0-34368000-1414645622_thumb.jpg

The sign is wrote in Moose nuggets!

post-22655-0-65502800-1414645691_thumb.jpg

Awesome Saskatchewan trails!

post-22655-0-67517200-1414645743_thumb.jpg

Early morning -30C in Hudson Bay Sask!

post-22655-0-97110200-1414645806_thumb.jpg

Homers Hut! There where packs of hotdogs and buns with all the fixins left for travelers!

post-22655-0-96335300-1414645890_thumb.jpg

Yep ATV's run the streets!

post-22655-0-78562500-1414645934_thumb.jpg

Snow was waist deep and a few spots nearer to chest deep.

post-22655-0-48693900-1414645991_thumb.jpg

Most shelters in Manitoba and Sask have solar panels and lights on timers. Wood and an Axe as well. Some have full array of cookware!

very nice :drool2:

Actually was a two day ride.  I trailered to Kenora meeting 2 friends from Winnipeg for our last of season ride on April 5 and 6 over nighting in a local motel..  Rode 440 miles of some very nice trails in Dist 17.

Saturday's ride

SaturdayGPSMap_zpsbaf9450c.jpg

Sunday's ride

SundayGPSMap_zps36589982.jpg

Ride pictures in no particular order.
20_zpsfc9f2da5.jpg

18_zps755d4007.jpg

16_zps38bfb4b0.jpg

15_zpsc2023e3c.jpg

19_zps3e225260.jpg

17_zps243d1941.jpg

13_zps287960a5.jpg

14_zps497bd488.jpg

12_zps56524cee.jpg

10_zps096a0022.jpg

11_zps54e5f872.jpg

9_zpsfa1b8698.jpg

7_zps84c68cef.jpg

8_zps09f9860e.jpg

1_zpsb45934dc.jpg

4_zpsbac31932.jpg

6_zpsdf8adb85.jpg

5_zpscc0fa269.jpg

3_zps3c03a87d.jpg

2_zpsde84797a.jpg

Awesome pics rws!!

Sasquatch, I love the pic with the sleds warming up outside the hotel! 

This is what I love about OC - real pictures and real stories from real people.  Can't wait to get back on the sled. :drool-1:

Great pics!!! the longest part of the year is always waiting for the season to start...

Boooyaa

Great looking trip and even better pic's RWS.

Can you tell me what type of camera you were using? I like those pic's on the run.

Mike

Actually was a two day ride.  I trailered to Kenora meeting 2 friends from Winnipeg for our last of season ride on April 5 and 6 over nighting in a local motel..  Rode 440 miles of some very nice trails in Dist 17.

Saturday's ride

SaturdayGPSMap_zpsbaf9450c.jpg

Sunday's ride

SundayGPSMap_zps36589982.jpg

Recognize the places. Love the riding our area has!. Do you have the GPS track from Barwick to Baudette seem to have lost mine. I have a Garmin!

Great looking trip and even better pic's RWS.

Can you tell me what type of camera you were using? I like those pic's on the run.

Mike

GoPro Hero 2..I run it on video mode and then capture stills off the video post ride using Sony Vegas Pro.

GoProHelmetMount2.jpg

Cool,  I see a Christmas present coming my way.  LOL.

Stopped at the clubhouse in Moonbeam,Ont.during the week this past year..Apparently,all the retired folk stop in once a week to play "washers"as we call it in the states.They were having a great time.All speaking in French.It was a great thing to see,something I will always remember.

Moonbeam clubhouse is great!  Always friendly volunteers running the place.

What is the circumference of a circle that is 4 inches in diameter

12.56 piXD

Archived