Need Something for the Back Woods.

MikeD

Advice required ....

We are surrounded by lots and lots of local private trails, (including our own) that we've always run with the ATV's but now, we're looking for a small light weight capable sled. Something we can use to break trail, drag a sleigh, ice fish, or just tool around the back 40 with.

I'm talking about picking up a vintage, long or wide track, 2up if found, reverse if possible.  I've seen Tundras, Skandics, Bravo and Enticer Trappers, etc.

I'm sure some of you have experience in this regard, this forum has never been limited in that respect.

I don't want to spend much, under $1,500 preferred. <1G would be ideal ...

No ... this won't be my primary sled. Just a kick around light weight toy.

Suggestions?

I have a Polaris Sport Touring. 136 inch track. Two up. 550 twin. It is my go to sled for exactly what you talk about. The tough part is finding a used one for sale. Bravos and old tundras are ok, but tiring to ride and slow. I'd look for a newer tundra, used Sport Touring, bearcat or skandic.

Good luck

Mother had 2 Indy Lites then a little 340 Polaris. She put a lot of miles on them & no issues.

I drive a 2011 Tundra and it will do all you ask but out of the price range. Look for Grandtouring 500 or the fan cooled Touring skidoo line, 380, 500 cc. Around the year 2000 will put you in your price range. I had a GrandTouring 500 and did everything my Tundra does. In Ontario someone has always been there first.

RR

interesting balancing act between the trail breaking ability of a tundra 1 banger and the ride quality of a larger piece 

True....rode one of these in the NWT where no trails exist...never got stuck

post-19713-0-20109100-1412931121_thumb.j

See if Ron at Gowganda Lake Lodge wants to sell his.

in the early nineties cat made a jag long track with a decent skid frame and a 156 track that sure could go places. The other fun thing would be fun is to get an older sled and modify it to put a longer track on it however this may blow the budget 

I just punched in Tundra on kijiji and I aways select Ontario for a wider search. There are a lot of Tundra's for your price range in various condition.

RR

Thanks guys ... great info. I've started to check around and there are indeed quite a few ... just a matter of getting the best for the purpose.

I'll be checking out a Yamaha Enticer "Trapper", a Skandic LT and a Tundra this week. 

Thanks for the replies guys ...

I bought my 1998 Arctic Cat Panther 340 long track for exactly that purpose .........but it did not come with reverse.....huge mistake because now the trails I make on my own property must have turnaround space at the end of each trail , because it is too heavy for an old fogey like me to lift around.

I only paid $1200 a few years ago and I am told the reverse option is on some models when I look at the parts manuals.

My friend just bought this weekend a 1998 Skandic 380 in excellent condition and low km for $1500. He bought it for St the cottage just to ride around. There are deals out there.

RR

• 2 weeks later...

If all goes as planned, I'll be picking up my latest addition to the fleet tomorrow ... It's a 1990 Yamaha Enticer Trapper 400. Thanks for the help guys.  I'll post some pics when I get it north.

MD

If all goes as planned, I'll be picking up my latest addition to the fleet tomorrow ... It's a 1990 Yamaha Enticer Trapper 400. Thanks for the help guys.  I'll post some pics when I get it north.

MD

The cool thing is that by turning a bit off the drivers in a lathe you can put a larger paddle track on that no problem 

MD

Conrgrats!!! My family had one of those years and years ago when we had our cottage in Haliburton... Great machine for playing in the powder and breaking trails.. Sorry I wasn't able to visit, got kinda of busy with work and family stuff..

See ya soon!!

The cool thing is that by turning a bit off the drivers in a lathe you can put a larger paddle track on that no problem 

It looks to have a newer style 1.25? on it now, its definitely not the same "conveyor belt" track it came with ... but what you're suggesting sounds fun.

Conrgrats!!! My family had one of those years and years ago when we had our cottage in Haliburton... Great machine for playing in the powder and breaking trails.. Sorry I wasn't able to visit, got kinda of busy with work and family stuff..

See ya soon!!

I dunno if I can accept that Nunz ... I waited all day, everyday, on my front porch ... you never showed. Promise you'll come out sometime?  :cry2:

It looks to have a newer style 1.25? on it now, its definitely not the same "conveyor belt" track it came with ... but what you're suggesting sounds fun.

I dunno if I can accept that Nunz ... I waited all day, everyday, on my front porch ... you never showed. Promise you'll come out sometime?  :cry2:

Shoot me a msg next time you are heading north and I will pop in...Again Sorry about that..

Archived