OFSC Ottawa

Rich Saul

Saw an update on facebook earlier today that day one business is over, lot's of progress seemed pretty positive, you know what's in store for tonight's agenda right lmao.....

No deets yet sorry Rich but I am sure they will be forthcoming soon enough!

Pretty much status quo for the next few years with permit prices remaining same as last year.

In 2016 3 & 7 day will be replaced by a Multi-Day permit at $25 per day with a 2 day minimum and you buy online and print your own like the a Family Day Weekend no charge permit which is also continuing again.

New SPOT GPS units for groomers will be received in Early November. Battery operated, no wiring and attach to top of groomer.

Also Family Day TOT program continues subsequent years despite 2 separate motions to make changes that were soundly defeated by the floor.

That'll be a good weekend to get out on the trails around 7 in the morning, and back in again around noon.

Also Family Day TOT program continues subsequent years despite 2 separate motions to make changes that were soundly defeated by the floor.

Sad. If people are not willing to spend $25 for a long weekend of riding they will not be buying a regular permit.

...Multi-Day permit at $25 per day with a 2 day minimum and you buy online and print your own...

Sound like those involved with TP will have their work cut out.

Did any do the math on this $25 a day idea. I can buy 5 weekend passes and never risk a poor winter. :confused:

Did any do the math on this $25 a day idea. I can buy 5 weekend passes and never risk a poor winter. :confused:

Can ride three weekends and free on family day! Maybe next year I will go this route!

5 weekend passes are $250....a full season pass can be had for $180 pre Nov. 1. I know I get a lot more than 5 weekends in. If you add the occasional Fridayor Monday into the equation then that's an extra $25 per day and presto you are over the $260 buy it late charge,

Can ride three weekends and free on family day! Maybe next year I will go this route!

Are you really going to only ride a total of 4 weekends out of the winter? Wow.... not a great ROI when you factor in the cost of the sled, depreciation, maintenance, fuel to travel to where you ride and more. To each their own.

5 weekend passes are $250....a full season pass can be had for $180 pre Nov. 1. I know I get a lot more than 5 weekends in. If you add the occasional Fridayor Monday into the equation then that's an extra $25 per day and presto you are over the $260 buy it late charge,

Dec 1 is 260. Why would a person pay that when they pay as they play for less? Does the average sledder get out more then 6 weekends? The season stars 1st week of Jan, throw in a Jan thaw, and 1 week in march.that makes 2 weekends in Jan, 4 in Feb and 1 in March for a total of 7. Now minus the free weekend there are 6 for $300. Not everyone can get out each weekend, now that's reduced to 5. Doesn't sound like this was thought out. The free weekend tips the scale. How are you as a TP going to handle the large number of sleds with paper attached to the windshield. 

The free weekend is too late in the year... who is going to buy a $250 permit with 3 weeks or so left in the season..

The free weekend is too late in the year... who is going to buy a $250 permit with 3 weeks or so left in the season..

I myself agree on the free weekend timing. Personally I would charge them a nominal fee for the "free weekend". Perhaps $45 for the weekend which is only $15 per day. If you decide to buy a full season permit in the 14 days following the "free weekend" credit the $45 to the purchase of the full season permit at the full price. Also I would only give you 2 kicks at the can. Since this is done online it is manageable. If you try the free weekend twice and still don't buy a permit you never will.

One of the initiatives is that if you purchase a full season permit at $260 after March 10 you will automatically receive a permit for the next season at no charge.

You will be able to buy a pass in march that is good for the rest of the year and all of the next. That may help. ride 3 weekends for $150 with the new 25 dollar a day, the free Family day weekend and the qc free weekend. 11 days riding for 150 bucks. 250km's per day and you will be riding 750km's more than the average sledder that buys a full season permit does.

Come on...are you guys really trying to work out the cost average of buying multi permits vs full season to save maybe pennies. Were all riders here, buy the season and be done with it. Lol support your sport.

You will be able to buy a pass in march that is good for the rest of the year and all of the next.

That might be an ok system if truly the case. Lots of ski areas golf courses and even Canada's Wonderland does that with their passes near the end of the year.

That might be an ok system if truly the case. Lots of ski areas golf courses and even Canada's Wonderland does that with their passes near the end of the year.

The date is March 10 and after to buy a $260 permit and receive a permit for the coming season at no additional cost. At that point the season is coming to a close very soon. That gives the rider incentive to make a commitment now. We have their money for about 7 months and can provide start up cash for the coming season or avert a late season short fall. In a season like the last we may find an enthusiastic late season rider who would not invest in a pass as the end of the seaons is approaching but is now willing to commit to next season on the basis he will get the remainder of the current season. I believe it is a win for the rider and a win for the sport.

The only other details about the March 10 & $260 permit and receive a permit for the coming season, is that ITS ON-LINE PURCHASING ONLY!

The only other details about the March 10 & $260 permit and receive a permit for the coming season, is that ITS ON-LINE PURCHASING ONLY!

Also, bear in mind that this is to be proposed to the Ministry for approval, and to be applicable to the 2015/2016 season if approved.

The March 10th permit may be popular to 3 groups:

1. March Break is late this year (March 16-20, 2015). Casual rider (or teacher) can buy a permit March 10th and make good use of it in 'northern' Ontario;

2. Snowbird. Tired of 'full season' in this or any future year? Head south, return mid-March and still get your fill of sledding. Full season the next year.

3. Dealers may like this as well. Some real incentive for 'cheap' late year sled pricing and effectively a 'free' permit for the consumer. I recall selling a sled late in the season that was going to the North Bay auction for immediate sale. It's a long season up there.

You'd have to be 'frugal' (or a teacher :-P) to plan way ahead for this $130 / year permit ($260/2), but some may find that this fits into their life plans at just the right time.

1. March Break is late this year (March 16-20, 2015). Casual rider (or teacher) can buy a permit March 10th and make good use of it in 'northern' Ontario;

Not for this year!

2. Snowbird. Tired of 'full season' in this or any future year? Head south, return mid-March and still get your fill of sledding. Full season the next year.

3. Dealers may like this as well. Some real incentive for 'cheap' late year sled pricing and effectively a 'free' permit for the consumer. I recall selling a sled late in the season that was going to the North Bay auction for immediate sale. It's a long season up there.

You'd have to be 'frugal' (or a teacher :-P) to plan way ahead for this $130 / year permit ($260/2), but some may find that this fits into their life plans at just the right time.

#2 is not really the intention, but if it works, then all is good.

I believe #3 is the best scenario for this solution and I hope it catches on.

Another motion that was passed was a recommendation for the Board to investigate and report back next year on the possibility of a new transferable permit type for dealers to use for test rides.

The March 10 permit will take again money of the snow and will be abused to buy a cheap permit for next season. Mister X buys 2 three day permits this year and paid for them $150 together. After March 10, he can upgrade them to a full season for 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 permit for $110. That means two year if snowmobiling for $260.

Thanks

Greg

The March 10 permit will take again money of the snow and will be abused to buy a cheap permit for next season. Mister X buys 2 three day permits this year and paid for them $150 together. After March 10, he can upgrade them to a full season for 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 permit for $110. That means two year if snowmobiling for $260.

Thanks

Greg

Only one multie-day pass purchase will qualify to be applied to any full season pass upgrade.

Thanks

Greg

No... you buy a permit online only March 10 or later at $260 and you will get a permit for the next year. You buy 2 3 day permits at $75 each time and you are able to use the value of ONE of those expired 3 day permits ($75) toward an upgrade to a full season $260 permit for that season only. No double dipping. We will actually get $150 for the 2, 3 day permits PLUS $185 for the upgrade to the full season permit which means $335 from that person for that season.

No... you buy a permit online only March 10 or later at $260 and you will get a permit for the next year. You buy 2 3 day permits at $75 each time and you are able to use the value of ONE of those expired 3 day permits ($75) toward an upgrade to a full season $260 permit for that season only. No double dipping. We will actually get $150 for the 2, 3 day permits PLUS $185 for the upgrade to the full season permit which means $335 from that person for that season.

Exactly!

Archived