Snowcrest involvement with Gravenhurst Winter Carnival

Blake G

Our club has been asked to participate in the annual Gravenhurst Winter Carnival weekend.

Just wondering what suggestions people might have regarding this type of partnership.....What can a snowmobile club offer to this type of event? What would be a good fit? 

Our club has been asked to participate in the annual Gravenhurst Winter Carnival weekend.

Just wondering what suggestions people might have regarding this type of partnership.....What can a snowmobile club offer to this type of event? What would be a good fit? 

Don't know how doable it is, but how about coordinating with one of the manufacturers for a demo ride?  Could be a good draw and maybe generate interest from 'not yet' sledders.  (There are two types of people, sledders and 'not yet' sledders :lol:)

Don't know how doable it is, but how about coordinating with one of the manufacturers for a demo ride?  Could be a good draw and maybe generate interest from 'not yet' sledders.  (There are two types of people, sledders and 'not yet' sledders :lol:)

With a hay bale course for kitty-cats. Fun winter event for the kids.

Gravenhurst does the drags that weekend too right? I was there last year. Demo ride down the track would be ideal!

we partnered with the Chamber of Commerce and G Bay Township for the Just add Water Festival. We shared in the profits, operated a food concession, the bar and assisted with parking security etc.  One of the best opportunities would be just to provide organizational help and people for set up security etc for a share of the profits

Some

If you're "participating" then it could be something as basic as a float promoting Snowcrest. A quality snowmobile (may I suggest, Yamaha :-P) with a banner. Perhaps one of those "t-shirt shooting guns" (did you say 'insurance, Doogirl 69?) and a free t-shirt every once in a while. Also something promoting your pancake breakfast later in the year.

If it's more of a partnership, and a "fundraiser", then consider a lottery. Get municipal approval (I think that's still required), a significant prize (easier said than done, although a date with STG is worth the price of admission) and print up those tickets. Sell them at the snowmobile show, continue selling at the parade, etc. I can talk to a friend active in Sudbury about their 'profit' as he's been doing this with Lions, etc. for years. Participants know that it's $10 / ticket, as an example, and money for a good cause.

Good luck. Anything for 'community' is time well spent.

• 5 weeks later...

WOFAM driving that Groomer would be more memorable, just saying :)

What the heck is WOFAM???

Bill your right and Dave you see that Dancing Mouse by STG's name, thats a WOFAM, lol

Thank you everyone for the input about how Snowcrest might get involved with the Gravenhurst Winter Carnival on February20-22, 2015. After discussing several ideas and checking with the Carnival organizes, we have decided we will be doing the following three activities:

Groomer display (parked, not moving) for a few hours on the Saturday. We will have to figure out a way to free up a groomer and keep the operator happy for a few hours. Hopefully people will be impressed with the equipment used to groom the trails that everyone enjoys. Good publicity for the club, as the machine will be seen by Carnival-Goers who may not yet be sledders.

Club sled ride on the Saturday or Sunday of the Carnival. (We are hoping to have a group ride every Saturday during the sledding season. Sometimes the ride will coincide with an event such as Winter Carnival, P.E.T. Sled Ride of Hope, Pancake Breakfast, Poker Run. On other Saturdays the group ride will be our only organized event.)

Vintage Sled Display. This one may be the most problematic, as we have not done this type of thing in the past, at least not to my knowledge. We are thinking of inviting anyone with a 1990 or older snowmobile to show up and show off their iron. I believe this type of show takes place on a fairly well established basis in other parts of the province, but I don't know how well it will fly in Gravenhurst. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

We would appreciate any advice, assistance, or involvement for these three activities.

Sounds good. If you organize a ride and someonne gets hurt, will they find the club liable? Might need to have a liability form getting everyone to sign off ahead of time, to ensure they have insurance and ride at their own risk.

Well, that is a good question. From what I've seen there are already club rides happening in our club and elsewhere, but I don't know whether insurance is automatically in place or not.

Well, that is a good question. From what I've seen there are already club rides happening in our club and elsewhere, but I don't know whether insurance is automatically in place or not.

as long as alcohol and competition are not involved yes  we are covered we do have to let the ofsc know though

Thank you everyone for the input about how Snowcrest might get involved with the Gravenhurst Winter Carnival on February20-22, 2015. After discussing several ideas and checking with the Carnival organizes, we have decided we will be doing the following three activities:

Groomer display (parked, not moving) for a few hours on the Saturday. We will have to figure out a way to free up a groomer and keep the operator happy for a few hours. Hopefully people will be impressed with the equipment used to groom the trails that everyone enjoys. Good publicity for the club, as the machine will be seen by Carnival-Goers who may not yet be sledders.

Club sled ride on the Saturday or Sunday of the Carnival. (We are hoping to have a group ride every Saturday during the sledding season. Sometimes the ride will coincide with an event such as Winter Carnival, P.E.T. Sled Ride of Hope, Pancake Breakfast, Poker Run. On other Saturdays the group ride will be our only organized event.)

Vintage Sled Display. This one may be the most problematic, as we have not done this type of thing in the past, at least not to my knowledge. We are thinking of inviting anyone with a 1990 or older snowmobile to show up and show off their iron. I believe this type of show takes place on a fairly well established basis in other parts of the province, but I don't know how well it will fly in Gravenhurst. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

We would appreciate any advice, assistance, or involvement for these three activities.

we started group rides last winter on Saturdays and had varying levels of participation dependent upon weather conditions etc. We promoted it as a family oriented ride which meant we were setting a pace which would be comfortable for most people. This eliminated some of those whose focus is get from A to B as fast as possible. But it did attract those who are relatively new to the sport or new to the area and didn't know the trails. We also tried to keep the round trip in the 100 to 150 km range.

Based on conditions we would post a destination online and send an email to our distribution list. We included a lunch stop in the equation. It's best if you can either make a lunch reservation by calling as you set out with a head count or get there before/after the usual lunch rush. Without the reservation lots of places have a problem getting 15 or more arriving at the same time. Lunch stops with large groups always take longer.

At the same time we also have our Wednesday Wanderers who also plan much less. They simply meet at 10 and decide where to go by consensus when they get together.

Not sure which format works best.

One of the things we are looking at is an overnight ride this year. Setting out with reservations at a resort, have a trail side snack for lunch then a nice dinner at the destination.

Hope some of this may prove useful. Looks like you have a great winter plan shaping up.

Very useful indeed. Thank you gentlemen.

Your rides sound like fun 02! If you guys are riding on Wednesday mid week again, I will have to make a few rides. The overnight trips sound like fun too.

If anyone has any interest in joining us or knowing what Baxter Snowriders are up to send me your email address and I will add it to our distribution list. We send updates (including rides and events) through mailchimp and it shows as coming from Volunteer@Baxtersnowriders.com

Keeping our fingers crossed for another ride out to the ice caves on Giants Tomb in Georgian Bay. We had about 50 sleds that day.

Thanks, 02. I never did make it over there on a Wednesday last winter, but I scoped the area out a few times on weekends. Plus this summer I finally found the parking lot where the old fellows meet on Wednesdays. This winter for sure. As I found out from STG last winter, Gravenhurst also has an informal Wednesday bunch leaving from Gull Lake, so our club will build on that this winter. I hope we can meet somewhere on C Trail and get together if the scheduled rides allow. If I can get well organized, I will share with you what we are up to.

Archived