Experience Dealing with MTO

signfan

Anybody have any experience with trying to build trails on MTO right of ways.  Particularly when 4- land highways are involved.  Am looking to get some advice from any club volunteers who have experience with this topic.  If you are willing to help me out please toss me a pm.

Thanks

Doesn't the MSR have a section of trail along Hwy 11 between Bracebridge & Pt. Sydney? This is in addition to the trail thru the culvert north of Pt.Sydney.

Doesn't the MSR have a section of trail along Hwy 11 between Bracebridge & Pt. Sydney? This is in addition to the trail thru the culvert north of Pt.Sydney.

Yes they do have a section along highway 11 that you are talking about. It is the "D" trail. However the majority of the trail is on the inside of the fence along the highway. Don't know whether this makes a difference with the right of ways on the Mto's property.  

Anybody have any experience with trying to build trails on MTO right of ways.  Particularly when 4- land highways are involved.  Am looking to get some advice from any club volunteers who have experience with this topic.  If you are willing to help me out please toss me a pm.

Thanks

Hello signfan.

A few years ago, I was informed by MTO that they were looking at shutting down ALL recreational trails on MTO property. When asked why, I was told because of liability and no formal agreement between the MTO and the OFSC. We notified the OFSC and talks began between the OFSC and the MTO. On June 2013, the "MTO Snowmobile Trails Along Provincial Highway Right of Way Policy" was released. 

Here is the address where you will find it in a pdf format.

www.mto.gov.on.ca/.../snowmobile-trails-highway-guideline-2014.pdf

You can also find it if you google "MTO Snowmobile Trails on Provincial Right of Way" and there it was. 

To adress MTO concerns about sleds going on to highways from a trail on a right of way, you can always propose to put another fence line in.

Hope this helps.

Talk to Rich at the Owls Nest. They have that wonderful 400-69 expansion to deal with!

Great info above -- but from a "comparison" perspective be advised that New York trails run right beside the thruway (I-90 towards Erie). In fact, there's one corner where the snowmobile rider heads right for the thruway, and then turns left. Blow that corner and you're on the highway.

I raise this because "it's allowed" in one of the most litigous jurisdictions. We've been conditioned to assume our activities can't co-exist with vehicular traffic. That's not the case and I hope the above guidelines take a more respectful approach.

MTO should not be "The Department of No".

Canuck, I've seen that stretch in past travels south of the border. Never been thru  there during sledding season though.

Hello signfan.

A few years ago, I was informed by MTO that they were looking at shutting down ALL recreational trails on MTO property. When asked why, I was told because of liability and no formal agreement between the MTO and the OFSC. We notified the OFSC and talks began between the OFSC and the MTO. On June 2013, the "MTO Snowmobile Trails Along Provincial Highway Right of Way Policy" was released. 

Here is the address where you will find it in a pdf format.

www.mto.gov.on.ca/.../snowmobile-trails-highway-guideline-2014.pdf

You can also find it if you google "MTO Snowmobile Trails on Provincial Right of Way" and there it was. 

To adress MTO concerns about sleds going on to highways from a trail on a right of way, you can always propose to put another fence line in.

Hope this helps.

Is highway #11 a class 2 or class 3 highway?  The trail I was looking at was going to be on class 2 highway which looks like it will be a major problem.  Stupid part is what I really want to use is land that the MTO annexed that is well outside of the fenced area for the highway and is currently being farmed.  It is set aside for improvements that are at least 30 years away.  The MTO just re-constructed the area in the past three or four years, but they are saying I can't go there because it's set aside for future use on a class 2 hwy.  Any more advise on how to proceed?  All of the posts on this so far have been extremely helpful.

Is highway #11 a class 2 or class 3 highway?  The trail I was looking at was going to be on class 2 highway which looks like it will be a major problem.  Stupid part is what I really want to use is land that the MTO annexed that is well outside of the fenced area for the highway and is currently being farmed.  It is set aside for improvements that are at least 30 years away.  The MTO just re-constructed the area in the past three or four years, but they are saying I can't go there because it's set aside for future use on a class 2 hwy.  Any more advise on how to proceed?  All of the posts on this so far have been extremely helpful.

We have had good luck accessing non corridor land use. You need to talk to the area co ordinater 

here many trails follow the highway and the majority are one way trails that follow with the flow of traffic

Is highway #11 a class 2 or class 3 highway?  The trail I was looking at was going to be on class 2 highway which looks like it will be a major problem.

I'm not sure what class of highway 11 is, but between Mooseland and Hearst is one of the longest sections of trail that runs right beside 11.

What section of Hwy. 11 are you interested in? I don't buy the fact that they won't let you use land outside the right of way even though it is slated for their long term expansion plans. 

What section of Hwy. 11 are you interested in? I don't buy the fact that they won't let you use land outside the right of way even though it is slated for their long term expansion plans. 

If they say no . No paperwork. same salary

Just curious if there is trail anywhere in the province along side a class 2 highway.  Hwy 11 is four lanes for a long section between North Bay and Barrie and I believe there is trail along the right of way in spots.  Is that trail along a class 2 or 3 hwy?  If class 2 then there is a precedent I can argue.

Just curious if there is trail anywhere in the province along side a class 2 highway.  Hwy 11 is four lanes for a long section between North Bay and Barrie and I believe there is trail along the right of way in spots.  Is that trail along a class 2 or 3 hwy?  If class 2 then there is a precedent I can argue.

Just to get something straight, when you refer to "along the right of way", do you mean inside MTO property or outside of MTO property?

SSR700 runs inside the MTO fence line adjacent to 4 lane divided Highway 11 just south of Powassan and crosses the highway at the township road intersection.

Our NB308!runs inside the fence line alongside Highway 63.

There must be hundreds of trails that run alongside MTO highways of various classes.

Archived